PVP Skill Build: viable?

I am sure I could take the time to run the numbers myself, but before I do that, I would like the community to chime in on this build as a possibility. I have seen a lot of talk about def/vig hybrids, which makes me wonder: could a def/focus hybrid work? Here is my attempt at a 17/0/24 build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500RrGdzzZZGrorzfMM.1

Some notes:

1. Since you will be in Soresu form the whole time, the single point in visionary has no purpose and is just a point filler.

2. Since you have Stasis mastery, I am not sure Singularity will work properly.

3. I have very intrigued about the synergy between profound resolution and second wind. Essentially giving you a ~1300 heal out of cc, which may turn out to be pretty awesome (or useless).

Final thoughts:

There are a lot of interesting synergies in this build, that I find intriguing. I do feel that the two points from Inner Focus could be moved somewhere else and would love some suggestions on where.

The problem with all shallow focus builds is that without Force Exhaustion you can only build singularity every minute.

Interesting point, didn't think of that. Although, with all the bonus damage to force sweep from the focus tree, plus the additional 8% from the def tree, coupled with the increased usability and damage from cyclone slash I am not sure if there would be an overall loss in damage from lack of singularity stacks. Also, that leads me to believe that have the two points in Inner sight would be necessary.

If you count stasis as singularity builder, combined with combat focus, it gives 2 chances per minute. So if you master strike half the jumps, and force sweep the other half, it kind of works.

You are missing 2x force sweeps with singularity per minute, if you happen to time all builders as 31 focus perfectly. In pvp this rarely happens due to the fight dynamics, running between nodes and other obvious factors.

Edited by alcek

If you count stasis as singularity builder, combined with combat focus, it gives 2 chances per minute. So if you master strike half the jumps, and force sweep the other half, it kind of works.

You are missing 2x force sweeps with singularity per minute, if you happen to time all builders as 31 focus perfectly. In pvp this rarely happens due to the fight dynamics, running between nodes and other obvious factors.

So are for this or against it?

So are for this or against it?

It is a matter of playstyle. Pvp is too dynamic, being able to singularity sweep 4 times per minute with 31 focus doesn't mean you will be able to do it every cooldown. Not to mention that half of the time you will be immediately knocked back, stunned or cc-ed. I have experimented with hybrid non 31 focus builds, and the lack of 31 pointer is barely noticeable. To my surprise what i missed most is the... slow from the force exhaustion, cause i need to hit freezing force now :).

It works and it isn't that bad.

The problem with using Focus and Defense together as a hybrid is that Focus is too dependant on a specific rotation. Vigilance tends to work better because once you get past all the Defense part of the tank builds, there's really just normal melee attacks left. Which is what Vigilance spec is, in essence. So it kind of goes hand in hand better than Focus does. That said, i use Soresu form with Focus spec (8/2/31) and although i am significantly squishier than a proper tank, i have just enough to off-tank when needed in ops or flashpoints etc. In warzones the ability to do huge AoE as well as guarding and taunting means Medal City.

The problem with using Focus and Defense together as a hybrid is that Focus is too dependant on a specific rotation. Vigilance tends to work better because once you get past all the Defense part of the tank builds, there's really just normal melee attacks left. Which is what Vigilance spec is, in essence. So it kind of goes hand in hand better than Focus does. That said, i use Soresu form with Focus spec (8/2/31) and although i am significantly squishier than a proper tank, i have just enough to off-tank when needed in ops or flashpoints etc. In warzones the ability to do huge AoE as well as guarding and taunting means Medal City.

Can you point us to your Focus build?

Why should he post it, isn't it obvious? He has guard stance talent in defense tree for the 6% buff, then probably 2 points of single saber mastery in the vigilance tree + a standard 31focus build.