Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

No open world PVP in WOW but...

Jalal

They have Alterac Valley which is a nice mixture of PVP and PVE that gives it a more complete feel than swtor.

Since the engine can't seem to handle real open world pvp they should consider something like that, IMO.

Umnnn when I played Wow there were PVP servers and strangle thorn vale was a constant warzone. Made questing there a beast... but a ton of fun.

The Rakghoul event while much smaller scale brought alot of that type of PVEVP to our PVP server in SWTOR. I hope theres more someday.

I took thou long for an Alterac Valley type WZ.

Alterac Valley is about as far from a "battleground" as you can get, especially now. You race on opposite sides of a battlefield to kill the opposing general faster than your opponent kills your general. PvP in there just comes down to a turtle or the random rogue sneaking around to try and ninja a node.

They have Alterac Valley which is a nice mixture of PVP and PVE that gives it a more complete feel than swtor.

Since the engine can't seem to handle real open world pvp they should consider something like that, IMO.

You talking current Race Mode Alterac Valley, or "Vanilla" Alterac Valley which actually was a challenge?

You talking current Race Mode Alterac Valley, or "Vanilla" Alterac Valley which actually was a challenge?

The only thing that vanilla AV challenged was patience.

There is absolutely nothing fun about a three day battleground that doesn't end and nobody gets rewards because server maintenance hit before either side could end the game.

No. ***********. Thanks.

The original versions of AV use to last hours, days on some servers. Basically it was a massive seesaw at the center of the map and back then Honorable Kills DR'd after 3 deaths so usually 30 minutes in and you weren't gaining anymore honor. The PvE aspect was being able to collect items from dead players and using them to unlock your Ancients, Gryphons, or Druids that gave you the ability to push.

All of the later was removed in patch 2.0 and they added reinforcements. After that it really just became a zerg fest of who killed who's general first.

//

Blizzard tried (or experimented) in WoW with world PvP numerous times. The very first PvE/PvP objectives they tried was with the capturable towers in Eastern Plaguelands that gave whichever faction owned it a 1% undead damage bonus for each tower. Well, it didn't work in Naxxramas so it was useless.

Burning Crusade you had the towers in Hellfire Peninsula that you could capture, but people had flying mounts and the only reward was for a daily that gave you bad blue items. Next you had the swamp (I forget the name its been so long) which had towers you could capture in the middle by running a flag to them. Well, it didn't work. Last you had the zone outside of the main capital that had towers that gave you bonus items for finishing the instances. Well, it didn't work. WOTLK had 1 or 2 minor PvP objectives in some zones, but they didn't really do much.

They hit the nail though with Wintergrasp. The main incentive was face roll easy bosses that gave you PvP or PVE gear and it was on a 2 hour timer. If it was just before raid time than everyone would be over there. The vehicles allowed people who normally weren't interested in PvP to have an ability to contribute and you had some minor NPCs.

Edited by ComeAndSee

The only thing that vanilla AV challenged was patience.

There is absolutely nothing fun about a three day battleground that doesn't end and nobody gets rewards because server maintenance hit before either side could end the game.

No. ***********. Thanks.

The three day battles were the best... "vanilla AV 4tw"

Edited by VoidJustice

I would definitely like some sort of large scale AV like pvp warzone with scattered semi pve styled objectives within.

AV could be annoying and I wouldn't play it over and over, but it was still a great diversion sometimes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.