Thoughts on this sniper build

Siege Bunker is really important in case people want to rain Death from Above or Orbital Bombardment on you, and Entrench should be on cooldown most of the time, any upgrade is a must.

Between the Eyes and Reactive Shot are not necessary, Diversion is a nice ability to have in case you catch a Smuggler or Imperial Agent without their cooldown up and give them a friendly reminder that they need to keep focused on whether or not there are Snipers around. EDIT: Also a great ability when you want to annoy any DPS class and reduce their accuracy by almost HALF.

Deadly Directive is a must for all Marksmanship Snipers because it increases the speed of all of your cast times, which is never a bad thing, and it's only two points.

Stroke of Genius makes your next Snipe instant after using Cover Pulse, which, unless the melee choose to ignore you, should be quite commonly on cooldown. I saved the last point for your discretion.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bsrrzosRGRZbcbZM.1

Finally, this topic should be posted in the Sniper subforum, not the imperial Agent forum, but I don't mind really.

Edited by Kuronan

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bsrrbRsRGoZrcM.1

thoughts please. I'm torn between better flashbangs or better explosive probes

I don't see a problem with it. There could be a few changes but it would be preferential and what you have would work fine. Not sure what points you would take out to pick up diversion or siege bunker. Except imperial demarcation. Leg shot is nice, but those 3 seconds I find barely noticeable.

Edited by Technohic

I don't see a problem with it. There could be a few changes but it would be preferential and what you have would work fine. Not sure what points you would take out to pick up diversion or siege bunker. Except imperial demarcation. Leg shot is nice, but those 3 seconds I find barely noticeable.

If he's PvP'ing a lot, I think Imperial Demarcation is an awesome power. I probably use Leg shot as much, if not more, than every other power. It's most noticeable in Voidstar and Huttball. Maybe as people play Norvare Coast in the lanes more that'll become more useful...

I've only got 9 points in MM but I made sure I had space for 2 of the 3 second cooldown.

Obviously it may not be part of his rotation as he might be going for more damage. But you can't deny the utility of being able to use this power up to 25% more. Ignores resolve? Even better...

Edited by CTifer

I never found vital regulators to be effective when I had it. Maybe I'll need to play with it some more.

However, I would have to debate the effectiveness of a potential 6% that you need to activate (less a possibility if you cast it while at full health) vs a 4% boost that's constant from Vitality Serum with the same 2 points.

Edited by CTifer

If he's PvP'ing a lot, I think Imperial Demarcation is an awesome power. I probably use Leg shot as much, if not more, than every other power. It's most noticeable in Voidstar and Huttball. Maybe as people play Norvare Coast in the lanes more that'll become more useful...

I've only got 9 points in MM but I made sure I had space for 2 of the 3 second cooldown.

Obviously it may not be part of his rotation as he might be going for more damage. But you can't deny the utility of being able to use this power up to 25% more. Ignores resolve? Even better...

The problem is, a target gets hit by someone enough that leg shot gets voided. I might get one off to allow for some catch up time, but sure as can be, someone will show up.

The best use I can see is if I really wanted to get away from someone to where I can hit them with a second leg shot sooner to help kite; but I am not sure what I could actually kite since other classes are ranged or have a leap or a pull when I am out of cover. I guess it is also usefull if I am keeping someone off me just a couple more seconds from melee while I am in cover, but then once again, you get "help" or at least someone who thinks they are helping messing that up.

I rarely use the nrg probe anyway. so are those two better spent on deadly directive?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bsrrbRsRGoZrcZM.1

Use your probe as often as you can - it's "free" energy - and energy you're not spending is damage you're not dealing.

Vital Regulators is a terrible talent, and there's no real reason to get it unless you're looking for points to dump in the Eng tree. To put it in perspective, even if you have 20k health it only heals 400 a second for three seconds, and with your build that's only once every 2 minutes. Outright garbage for two talent points.

With your build, if I were going to respend those two points from Vital regulators, I'd put them into Explosive engineering, since you already have 15 seconds off the cooldown and 1 second off the activation of Orbital Strike and 3 second Frag grenades, take the +10% damage to both of them too.

I rarely use the nrg probe anyway. so are those two better spent on deadly directive?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bsrrbRsRGoZrcZM.1

I agree with what Altruismo said. Get used to using that power for the energy. Use it often. That's what makes Engineering so good IMO. You can instantly cool that power down with a skill point (although you won't have enough to get that)....

Edited by CTifer

Use your probe as often as you can - it's "free" energy - and energy you're not spending is damage you're not dealing.

Vital Regulators is a terrible talent, and there's no real reason to get it unless you're looking for points to dump in the Eng tree. To put it in perspective, even if you have 20k health it only heals 400 a second for three seconds, and with your build that's only once every 2 minutes. Outright garbage for two talent points.

With your build, if I were going to respend those two points from Vital regulators, I'd put them into Explosive engineering, since you already have 15 seconds off the cooldown and 1 second off the activation of Orbital Strike and 3 second Frag grenades, take the +10% damage to both of them too.

Full Engi, it's not so bad. If you blow AP, then use IP and EMP then blow AP again (as I often end up doing, yes, I know, I stink at this game), you get 12% of your total health back. Not so bad at all, in a close fight.

Full Engi, it's not so bad. If you blow AP, then use IP and EMP then blow AP again (as I often end up doing, yes, I know, I stink at this game), you get 12% of your total health back. Not so bad at all, in a close fight.

Do you have to wait for the first energy probe to end or does firing it off actually double the ticks> I felt like I only got a single tick per second if I managed to fire both of them off quickly. Either way, I never felt like it helped much,

Siege Bunker is really important in case people want to rain Death from Above or Orbital Bombardment on you, and Entrench should be on cooldown most of the time, any upgrade is a must.

Are you joking? Siege bunker is a waste of points for that occasional situation where you get AoE on your spot. Just leave cover and walk away.

Between the Eyes and Reactive Shot are not necessary,

An increase of 4% crit chance is not necessary? Also reactive shot is a must since Ambush needs to cast fast to prevent LoS breaking.

Diversion is a nice ability to have in case you catch a Smuggler or Imperial Agent without their cooldown up and give them a friendly reminder that they need to keep focused on whether or not there are Snipers around. EDIT: Also a great ability when you want to annoy any DPS class and reduce their accuracy by almost HALF.

No remarks there.

Deadly Directive is a must for all Marksmanship Snipers because it increases the speed of all of your cast times, which is never a bad thing, and it's only two points.

Partially agree with you there, although I think it's better to spend those points on something which increases your burst damage (like explosive engineering).

Stroke of Genius makes your next Snipe instant after using Cover Pulse, which, unless the melee choose to ignore you, should be quite commonly on cooldown. I saved the last point for your discretion.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bsrrzosRGRZbcbZM.1

Waste of points.

You need burst damage as a sniper in PVP. Take explosive engineering for example and loose the Vital regulators, they suck. I'd rather go with something like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400dcrbdRsRGoZbfZh.1

You can choose to change coverscreen with heavy shot, but I don't use that since I also PVE with this build.

Edited by Drungus

Waste of points.

You need burst damage as a sniper in PVP.

First you say stroke of genius is a waste of points, then you say the sniper needs burst. You fail to understand that stroke of genius IS burst. Especially if you use it specifically to cast an instant snipe instead of only saving it for throwing melee off of you.

It gives you more choice, and more burst if you need it.

First you say stroke of genius is a waste of points, then you say the sniper needs burst. You fail to understand that stroke of genius IS burst. Especially if you use it specifically to cast an instant snipe instead of only saving it for throwing melee off of you.

It gives you more choice, and more burst if you need it.

In case you're fighting a melee yes. Explosive probe can be used in any situation and the damage increase is quite big.

In case you're fighting a melee yes. Explosive probe can be used in any situation and the damage increase is quite big.

Try it sometime. Be attacking a ranged that needs to die, throw your burst then cast your knockback then instand charged burst. It adds fast burst. In PVP it can help overwhelm the healer trying to heal himself (have your healing debuff on him) and in PVE operations it gives you the same as going in and out of cover but only needing to press a button. Either way it's a DPS increase if used right.

i'd go with something like this: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rsrddRoRGoZbfZh.1

reasoning is, alacrity is not that important since dps is pretty limited by your energy and not by your cast times. more crit is always good, as well as more cunning and energy. explosive engineering is pure awesomeness, i sometimes even lose rapid fire to get 1 extra point there. you can shuffle som epoints between cover screen, imp. demarcation and pillbox sniper as fits your playing style. the rest is pretty much a must for me.

I'm thinking of running this for when I hit 50:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bsrrdoRRGRZbc0MZb.1

I put 2 points into Sniper Volley because 5% is nothing, and I think 15% is too much. I'm also not sure about using Deadly Directive. It feels less useful than getting an additional 2% crit chance on everything. 4% alacrity vs 2% crit? Feels like 2% crit would do more.