The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PVP: Which class do you do best/worst against?

Which classes are you guys having the most trouble killing? Which are you able to handle with ease?

In my experience, Snipers are probably our nemesis class. They're immune to Storm and Harpoon as long as they stay in cover, so we can't insta-close. If we try to kill them from 30m away, they're (obviously) going to win. If we try to close on foot, they have plenty of tricks to keep us away. I still stand a chance against them, but I mostly have to use LoS.

I'm also having trouble against heal-specced Ops. I can get them down to 30% pretty easily. However, since I don't have AP yet (3.5 more levels!), I simply cannot burst them down on my own. They can stack two HoTs on themselves and then run around spamming that heal that's free on targets under 30%. I can always get them down to 10% or less, but they just keep healing themselves back up until help arrives. Hopefully, 20% more DoT damage and the ability to time-burst with AP should fix this.

Sorcerers and Mercenaries tend to be the easiest kills for me. We seem like a class incredibly well-suited to taking down the "ranged cast-time nuke" archetype. Hit them with IR -> HiB from a distance, either Harpoon or just run up, and once I get withing melee range I know they're dead. They're too easy to interrupt and harass, and I have plenty of damage to finish them quickly.

I recently attained BM a shield-tech VG. I have about 1k xp 19.7k-ish HP. 28ish crit. 69.x surge. I generally do well against most classes 1v1 (yes marauders even!). However, I agree with the healer specced ops. I can help lock them down..but its tough to beat down a War Hero or BM geared that knows how to play. Snipers are only a challenge if they are good. However, most Imps I run into in a 1v1 situation aren't that smart. I've had some classic battles.

Fun but still love the group pvp!

Snipers. Take them out of cover with Cryo and Pull them. It doesn't matter that you white barred them, they are 30m out of position in the middle of "precisely where they didn't ever want to be". AP + IR and line of sight, this works well enough to off balance them. You can psych some snipers out with a stealth scan to make them think that a MV is coming; more effective if you sometimes throw the MV from around a pillar. This is most effective against ones who have hit their immune to CC cooldown as they are less likely to want to relocate and lose the CC immunity.

Marauders are probably the hardest 1v1 for us. You have to save a stun for Ravage, and for when you get them to 30%, and use stuns to get kiting room. So you end up being one stun short, and either have to eat a full ravage, allow them to pop CDs or not have room to kite. I usually opt for allowing them their mitigation cooldown and DPS them while kiting and stunning them to hold their DPS at a minimum. It's best to use your damage reduction and DPS cooldowns early in this fight, as a large health margin in a 1v1 causes panic and bad play.

Healers require a late DPS burst with stun strategy, unless they are squishy. Popping cooldowns and stun too early in the fight allows them to CC you while they heal to full. If you can get them below 50% without stuns and cooldowns, then you can kill them within the stun duration with your cooldowns.

Tank Sins (Harnessed Darnkness variety) are the opposite from a marauder. Use standard DPS to make them think it's time for cooldowns. When they pop their Deflection and Force Shroud (Tech/Force Immunity) hammer shot away until the tech immune fades. Use DPS cooldowns after their mitigation cooldowns fade. Save break free and stuns for their Force Lightning channels. Many will go tech immune to channel their lightning or stun you beforehand.

I would have to go with snipers and operatives. Particularly if they know how to work the class. But I actaully try to get them raging/ focused on me using the theory that I am expendable. So while they are killing me someone else is hopefully completing an objective.

I would have to go with snipers and operatives. Particularly if they know how to work the class. But I actaully try to get them raging/ focused on me using the theory that I am expendable. So while they are killing me someone else is hopefully completing an objective.

Yeah, it's that qualifier that makes it. A highly skilled Sniper that catches you at range is nigh impossible to take down. You can't get close, you can't win a ranged fight, and you can't psych them out of cover.

Luckily for us, most Snipers are bad :p

Operatives can half-hp me in the first stun. :/

I have 21k hp, 44% shield, 40% absorb, and 50% damage reduction.

Operatives bypass 100% of your shield with everything but their basic blaster fire. Only stats that matter against them are Damage reduction, Internal Damage reduction, and HP.

i have to agree with the ones stated snipers operatives marauders and guardians especially if they go focus and have all there cd up but other then that i can give most a run for there money. i ran into a BH not sure what they were but they hit super hard and killed me everytime i think they were powertechs but in full BM gear i was getting hit for 3.5k or more on crits

i have to agree with the ones stated snipers operatives marauders and guardians especially if they go focus and have all there cd up but other then that i can give most a run for there money. i ran into a BH not sure what they were but they hit super hard and killed me everytime i think they were powertechs but in full BM gear i was getting hit for 3.5k or more on crits

I am assault spec, although I plan on going full tank as soon as I level one more time for storm. I haven't had a hard time at all vs snipers or operatives, but i am in the sub 50 bracket again atm, so maybe its just the players or lack of certain abilities. Operatives have also been no problem at all, while they can do crazy damage, their armor is paper and they die quickly, even after I get up at 1/2 health I pretty much burn them down after that. I find myself losing to snipers when their cool downs are up and my reactive shield is down. If we're both out of cool downs i am going to win. Where the problem seems to come in is they have more and better cool downs than I do, but again I have good success vs snipers at the lower levels.

The class I just can't beat seems to be marauders/sents, I don't know what all their abilities are called, as over powered as they are they strike me as a boring 3 button class, and there is no way I could play one, but when their abilties are up I have no chance of beating them. From what I can see they have two cool downs that make their dmg so high I am done in 4 moves and they have about 25 seconds of invulnerability coming from two abilities, one that decreases your accuracy by 99% for 15 seconds, and another that does some heavy damage mitigation for them for another 10 seconds(or is it 15?) Generally, most of my kills vs this class tend to come after they've burnt all their cool downs on someone else for an easy kill, at which point tehy have absolutely no chance of beating me, or they're on some else and I am teeing off on them, otherwise i am going to die the only variable is how fast.

Pretty much other than marauders and to a lesser degree guardians/jugs I have had my way with every class I've played against.

The class that really pisses on my parade

I am assault spec, although I plan on going full tank as soon as I level one more time for storm. I haven't had a hard time at all vs snipers or operatives, but i am in the sub 50 bracket again atm, so maybe its just the players or lack of certain abilities. Operatives have also been no problem at all, while they can do crazy damage, their armor is paper and they die quickly, even after I get up at 1/2 health I pretty much burn them down after that. I find myself losing to snipers when their cool downs are up and my reactive shield is down. If we're both out of cool downs i am going to win. Where the problem seems to come in is they have more and better cool downs than I do, but again I have good success vs snipers at the lower levels.

Yeah, non-healing Operatives are a fairly even fight with us. It's the healing operatives who can endlessly spam a free heal on themselves when they hit 30% that can be hard to keep down. The reason you're not dying to Snipers is because many of them are bad players, especially in the lower-level brackets. But if a good one catches you at range, you're going down. Also, neither of them have better cooldowns than us.

The class I just can't beat seems to be marauders/sents, I don't know what all their abilities are called, as over powered as they are they strike me as a boring 3 button class, and there is no way I could play one, but when their abilties are up I have no chance of beating them. From what I can see they have two cool downs that make their dmg so high I am done in 4 moves and they have about 25 seconds of invulnerability coming from two abilities, one that decreases your accuracy by 99% for 15 seconds, and another that does some heavy damage mitigation for them for another 10 seconds(or is it 15?) Generally, most of my kills vs this class tend to come after they've burnt all their cool downs on someone else for an easy kill, at which point tehy have absolutely no chance of beating me, or they're on some else and I am teeing off on them, otherwise i am going to die the only variable is how fast.

This part depresses me for all kinds of reasons. I'm going to preface this by saying that I do not have a Marauder or Sentinel; all I know about them comes from research I've done to learn how to kill them (better).

You can call them a 3-button class with about as much accuracy as you can call us a 3-button class. A Marauder hitting only 3 buttons is going to do as well as a Vanguard who spams Ion Pulse, Hammer Shot, and Stock Strike. In other words, not well at all. They have a lot of group utility buffs, and even their basic combat rotation is pretty complex.

You're drastically overestimating the power of their cooldowns. Obfuscate is actually -90% Accuracy for 6 seconds, and it's incredibly easy to counter when you recognize it. Tech attacks ignore that, which means for 6 seconds you can just cycle through Ion Pulse, Stock Strike, Incendiary Round, and Assault Plastique. As long as you avoid weapon damage skills, you'll do fine.

The second cooldown is Saber Ward, which I'll admit is pretty powerful. It gives +50% defense (dodge/parry chance) and -25% tech/force damage, and lasts 12 seconds. This means that they get 25% mitigation against most of our attacks, and have a 50% chance to dodge HiB and Hammer Shot. Our Reactive Shield is nearly as strong (-25% from everything), but we can use it three times as often. So you can't really complain about their cooldowns.

I want to stress that Marauders are not going to be an easy fight. It takes skill to take one down. However, it can be done. They're one of the hardest classes to strafe-kite (especially if they spec for 0m leap). However, by keeping moving constantly, you're making it harder for them to kill you. Use your AoE stun to block Ravage, and use your Cryo Grenade to stun them and get some distance when they use Cloak of Pain. Keep them between 5 and 10 meters away, so that you're too far for melee skills but too close for their leap. Learn their skills so you can learn how to beat them.

Edited by Philosomanic

Philosomaniac, did you quit your balance shadow?

Yeah, he's been shelved for now. Balance was pretty close to my ideal class, but Vanguard fits my playstyle perfectly. I thought I did well as Balance, but I'm doing even better on my Assault Vanguard. It's just so much more fun for me than my Shadow. Vanguard is the class for me.

Yeah, he's been shelved for now. Balance was pretty close to my ideal class, but Vanguard fits my playstyle perfectly. I thought I did well as Balance, but I'm doing even better on my Assault Vanguard. It's just so much more fun for me than my Shadow. Vanguard is the class for me.

haha, I made the same move as you. I had a Deception Assassin who has been shelved for my Powertech. The playstyle fits me more. Granted I am leveling an Operative, and while I try to heal, i do a much better job as a Lethality Operative. Perhaps I am just not a good healer. Either that or I just get bored healing.

Back on Subject:

Worst in order of toughest to kill if you don't get the jump on them.

Snipers/Slingers (Non-Bomb): A semi-decent one can bounce you around and wreck you before you get close, and when you do they are already moving. Once you get on them, you can usually wreck them, but it's not fun if they see you first.

Operative/Smuggler Healers: A really good one will wittle you down, and you have to be smart with your cc's or they will insta heal themselves.

Marauder/Sentinel: The FoTM killing machine. The really good ones were a pain anyways, now they are almost impossible to kill if they get the jump on you. It's possible, but it requires you to be near perfect.

Tankassassins: Utility machines that can drop some serious burst on you, They are easy kills most of the time, but if they get the drop you are done.

Operative/Scoundrel Dps: Not really tough, but I hate their stupid kicks/flattens, and Mezz.

Best as in terms of easiest to kill:

Mercs/Commandos: They have the worst KB, and the easiest to interrupt with no way to escape.

Sorcs/Sages: Squishy is so much fun, plus they are perhaps the most annoying players not named operative/Smuggler.

Other Powertech/Vanguards: When you know a class this well, facing a good one is fun, and facing a bad one is laughable. I like to scream, Come back when you can stop me to Assault/Pyro BH's.

Juggernaughts/Knights: Outside of their incredible amount of CC the tank class has, they are the least feared class by any team.

Edited by TheOpf

Yeah I kinda made the same move, I play my shadow now only a couple of hours a week, I'm spending most of my time leveling my scrapper scoundrel and my assault vanguard, I do good Dmg on my vanguard and that's at 23 w/o the talent that increases HiB dmg and resets cd with IP and SS, I'm hoping the burst gets alot better with that and some other talents because my HiB hits like a limp noodle right now, but I know it will get better my shadow takes some big time pops from PTs.

Patience young skywalker