Some players bail too easy in PvP

earthtoearl

Good point.

Obviously you've now opened up the need for a vote-kick penalty coupled with a deserter penalty, in which those who have been vote-kicked shall also be penalized in the same manner as a deserter.

If you're not willing to commit time and effort to every game you join (...in which the very process of joining a game presupposes that kind of time and commitment from each indiviual) then honestly the game really doesn't need to cater for opportunistic bottom feeding scum of a deserter IMO.

You're not worthwhile to be considered as a gamer in the first place, so what you think is worthwhile or not, we couldn't care about less.

once again, do your homework before chiming in. said it before, and ill say it once again.

if its a close match, where the team of randoms i get stuck with actually makes an effort, ill give them my best.... even if its a loss. a well fought loss is fine and can be fun, not as fun as a win, but still fun. a curb stomping is not.

ill start every match doing my best. which, even though you're obviously too frustrated and biased by your own opinion to realize, is exactly what just about everyone who says they leave a match does as well.

but once its apparent my effort is being wasted due to the incompetence, and/or simple lack of caring, of my randomly selected teammates, im not going to put in any more effort than they do. which basically means standing in the corner.

as for a vote-kick. not concerned. first, any team bad enough to make me want to sit and afk is going to be so uncoordinated that the chances of them getting enough votes together to kick me is pretty slim. and second... no vote-kick system will instantly remove you from the group. ill have, at worst, 30 seconds to find an enemy and do a basic autoattack to negate the vote.

so yea... all you have to do is show some effort to help yourself and ill help you. but if you're just that hopeless, and show me that you can not carry your own weight, and even more importantly, don't even care to try to carry your own weight, then you are no longer worth my time helping.

you show me that its all about you, and my time and effort changes from it being a team game to being one all about me.

sorry kids, but the ball is in your court. you'll get what you give.

edit: a little confused here now that i think about it.

you all keep whining about how i don't put in the effort (even though im making it very clear im going to put in the same effort towards winning as you do)... but you keep insisting on adding penalties that do nothing but encourage me to find ways to not do so.

wouldn't it be smarter to find the root cause and correct that?

i mean, if you want me to try harder for you, shouldn't you be shifting your focus to punishing the people who are the reason i don't put in any effort when i see you in my matches?

oh, wait, that's right, they tried doing that. you all complained that you weren't getting anything when you lost. my bad, i forgot that you can't stand being held responsible for your own actions.

Edited by Jaidan

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have never quit a warzone due to impending/inevitable loss... no plans to do so. I know I can't change anyone else's mind but I think those rare comebacks (or even making it as hard as possible for your enemy) is worth it.

There are two distinct alderaan matches I remember where we were down by a considerable margin (I believe one was 200 to 10, the other was 150 to 5) and we managed to triple cap and hold all 3 to comeback and win. Probably the most stressful and rewarding matches ive had in any game to date.

And to clarify, both teams were composed of two premades with moderate to good reputations for pvp.

once again, do your homework before chiming in. said it before, and ill say it once again.

if its a close match, where the team of randoms i get stuck with actually makes an effort, ill give them my best.... even if its a loss. a well fought loss is fine and can be fun, not as fun as a win, but still fun. a curb stomping is not.

ill start every match doing my best. which, even though you're obviously too frustrated and biased by your own opinion to realize, is exactly what just about everyone who says they leave a match does as well.

but once its apparent my effort is being wasted due to the incompetence, and/or simple lack of caring, of my randomly selected teammates, im not going to put in any more effort than they do. which basically means standing in the corner.

as for a vote-kick. not concerned. first, any team bad enough to make me want to sit and afk is going to be so uncoordinated that the chances of them getting enough votes together to kick me is pretty slim. and second... no vote-kick system will instantly remove you from the group. ill have, at worst, 30 seconds to find an enemy and do a basic autoattack to negate the vote.

so yea... all you have to do is show some effort to help yourself and ill help you. but if you're just that hopeless, and show me that you can not carry your own weight, and even more importantly, don't even care to try to carry your own weight, then you are no longer worth my time helping.

you show me that its all about you, and my time and effort changes from it being a team game to being one all about me.

you all keep whining about how i don't put in the effort (even though im making it very clear im going to put in the same effort towards winning as you do)... but you keep insisting on adding penalties that do nothing but encourage me to find ways to not do so.

i mean, if you want me to try harder for you, shouldn't you be shifting your focus to punishing the people who are the reason i don't put in any effort when i see you in my matches?

oh, wait, that's right, they tried doing that. you all complained that you weren't getting anything when you lost. my bad, i forgot that you can't stand being held responsible for your own actions.

I suppose the only thing you have to worry about is your toon getting a reputation amongst pvpers.

Good or bad

by afking in a corner, you are just being an ***. plain and simple. sure, the others might be terrible at the game, but that does not mean they are lacking in effort. Sometimes it is an issue of understanding, lapse of judgement, or lack of experience. If you don't feel like participating because youre team is so bad, then leave. That way somebody can at least join and be a productive member of the team, regardless if loss is the likely outcome

edit: to clarify, this is why there should not be a penalty (or a harsh one at least) for dropping non-ranked warzones. I had one the other day where 3 people dropped once the other team scored in huttball. The sad thing is their score just made it a tie game... But because we were now down 3 players, there was no point in continuing, so I dropped, and image the 4 that were left probably did too. Solution? wait 5 minutes and re-queu

Edited by Kontraz

I suppose the only thing you have to worry about is your toon getting a reputation amongst pvpers.

Good or bad

yep.

the good players will see me putting in an effort and doing everything i can to help them win.

the bad players will see me sitting in a corner.

i don't particularly care what the bad players think about me.

by afking in a corner, you are just being an ***. plain and simple. sure, the others might be terrible at the game, but that does not mean they are lacking in effort. Sometimes it is an issue of understanding, lapse of judgement, or lack of experience. If you don't feel like participating because youre team is so bad, then leave. That way somebody can at least join and be a productive member of the team, regardless if loss is the likely outcome

edit: to clarify, this is why there should not be a penalty (or a harsh one at least) for dropping non-ranked warzones. I had one the other day where 3 people dropped once the other team scored in huttball. The sad thing is their score just made it a tie game... But because we were now down 3 players, there was no point in continuing, so I dropped, and image the 4 that were left probably did too. Solution? wait 5 minutes and re-queu

you're right. i am being an ***. but only when presented with these kids who demand i be punished for leaving. im perfectly happy to let them fail on their own by dropping out of the match.

but if their whining leads to a deserter debuff... then im not going to take that debuff. ill just afk. making me take a debuff because of their lack of ability is like putting the raep victim in prison.

ive explained it in other posts. i understand the difference between lack of effort and lack of skill.

unfortunately, after doing this sort of thing for far longer than i should admit to, ive come to the conclusion that bads will always be bad.

no amount of explanation, cajoling or bribery will ever make them wake up and get better. the only thing that will make them get better is themselves. nothing i do will change how they play. its all up to them.

as for the gear factor. even more blatantly obvious about their lack of caring and effort if they're going into a match wearing lvl 48 oranges instead of at least mere recruit gear.

yea... like i said, its on them to show me they care even a little about winning. if they show me something that they want to win instead of just farm medals or deathmatch... then ill show them something productive in return. if not... well, plenty of corners to wait out the loss in.

Edited by Jaidan

you're right. i am being an ***. but only when presented with these kids who demand i be punished for leaving. im perfectly happy to let them fail on their own by dropping out of the match.

but if their whining leads to a deserter debuff... then im not going to take that debuff. ill just afk. making me take a debuff because of their lack of ability is like putting the raep victim in prison.

ive explained it in other posts. i understand the difference between lack of effort and lack of skill.

unfortunately, after doing this sort of thing for far longer than i should admit to, ive come to the conclusion that bads will always be bad.

no amount of explanation, cajoling or bribery will ever make them wake up and get better. the only thing that will make them get better is themselves. nothing i do will change how they play. its all up to them.

as for the gear factor. even more blatantly obvious about their lack of caring and effort if they're going into a match wearing lvl 48 oranges instead of at least mere recruit gear.

yea... like i said, its on them to show me they care even a little about winning. if they show me something that they want to win instead of just farm medals or deathmatch... then ill show them something productive in return. if not... well, plenty of corners to wait out the loss in.

meh, i see your point, but even from just a logical stance, would it not be more beneficial to at least jump into the fray and and get comms? ive been grouped with some downright AWFUL players that never even tried to knock someone off a door in VZ, but I can still walk away with a decent amount of comms that make the effort worthwhile

well then, to make it fair...

we should go back to giving out zero rewards for losing.

you know, like they tried to do a couple weeks back.

after all, if im going to be punished for not "being a teamplayer" shouldn't you be punished for the same thing?

because lets face it... there's more to being a teamplayer than simply showing up to practice. if you aren't going to put in the effort to get better, then you should be punished for wasting my time.

you say im not a teamplayer because i leave you behind, and want to punish me for it. ok. but that means you need to be punished for when im forced to stick around and you continue to underperform.

you want to punish me for leaving, i won't leave, so long as you get punished for playing badly match after match after match.

after all... fair is fair, right? or are you one of those people who only see selfishness in others but refuse to take responsibility for your own faults?

Spot on! Not one of the bad players who wish to be carried will agree, but that's a marvelous idea!

At least you admit your selfish.

EVERYONE who is in the habbit of quiting a round when the other team gets a little ahead is a CHUMP.

YOU are the ones making PVP worse, even worse than the prolblems with premades, pugs and over powered toons.

Care to admit that?

This is a multiplayer game, and this attitude shows that you are not only selfish, but you don't mind screwing over other players. NOT COOL. This isn't the only problem, but one created by some PLAYERS and NOT BioWare.

If you "BAILERS" were any good, and tried hard then your team might have a chance to make a comeback win.

If you don't want to be a team player then don't play a team game. It's not too late to turn from the Dark SIde.

How can one person quitting a team thats quickly replaced with someone else be making PVP worse when compared to pre-mades? Thats absolutely ridiculous! I agree that some quitters can be selfish but what about the people rolling around in pre-mades expecting puggers to tough it out so they can farm them? You don't think that's selfish?

there is no excuse for leaving if ur team sux bad try to help them play better tell them what they are doing wrong so next time perehaps it will be better

if u just leave when thing go wrong they will go wrong next time you meet the same people again because nobody wasted 15 minuts helping them out and telling them what to do

droppers should just unistall the game playing is a WASTE OF TIME by itself so if you dont wanna waste time just dont play games.

i find the playerbase really pathetic to be honest,because if the majority are ok with this,then thats says alot on how far PvPing has fallen,there should be no rated imo,why? so that immature Imperials can stroke their e-peen and pat eachother on the back and Republics exist just so that these misfits can have fun? hell BW should be paying me and other fellow Repubs that have stuck this out for providing entertainment for the their kiddys base,they helped with everything as it stands anyhow.

I am on the Sith Wyrm, also i am imperial. I have yet to encounter anyone that is a "kiddie", i myself am in a HUGE guild who spends alot of time in vent, and i have yet to encounter anyone who is under 19.

Unless you are 40 or 50, you do not have a right to call people kiddies, so stop making excuses why people went to a different faction.

I myself wanted to be a chiss, so that is why i went to the imperial side. Not because i wanted to be Darth whatever. if you do not like your faction, make a toon on the other side, i do not feel sorry for you.

I never leave a match. Seems like a cowardly, and ****** thing to do.

I don't respect people who leave games early because they're behind. Pathetic attitude. I hope they put that 15 min deserter penalty on for unranked games too, not just ranked.

I just ignore it, most of the time who leave and say everyone on our team sucks are the ones tht really suck. most of the time when tht happens, we get more GOOD people and we end up with a comback... its actually quick funny when tht happens. they score 3 goals, half the team leaves, mor ppl come in, we score 4 goals, we win! more comms for me :rak_03:

I never leave a match. Seems like a cowardly, and ****** thing to do.

I don't respect people who leave games early because they're behind. Pathetic attitude. I hope they put that 15 min deserter penalty on for unranked games too, not just ranked.

and I also agree with this

Edited by swifferdude

They could easily remedy it with an inherent rating system.

Make it so winners and losers get the same amount of commendations- but, make it so winners gain 'rating' points, and losers/leavers lose some 'rating' points. It's beneficial to try to win for rating points- but even as a loser you'll get rewarded.

Eventually, all the losers/leavers will be rated together and playing together- and all the winners will be playing winners who stay in games.

Or even make it so losers stay at the same rating, and leavers lose rating- so eventually chronic leavers will only be grouped with chronic leavers- while people who lose all the time but stay for the match will eventually not be grouped with leavers- so at least 8 bads can face 8 bads.

those are a lot of words to justify being a quitter.

its easier to just look up the definition for bundle of sticks in the dictionary.

most players bail so easily because they have gotten sick and tired of the obscenely bad pugs in this game

In continuing the trend of sweeping generalizations...

I have never seen the d-bag raging at everyone in chat actually perform any better than the people at whom they are raging. In fact they quite often are one of the worst people in the match. (People that think they are better than everyone and say so, are the same type of people that quit because they think they are better than everyone) People that perform very well tend to be more calm and generally more positive and supportive. Or at least confident enough to remain quiet. Yelling at strangers in chat? = Obvious defense mechanism.

So I have drawn the following conclusion.

If you think you are the best person in a PVP match, and God is punishing you by placing you with people not of your skill level? You are wrong. Not only are not as good at PVP as you believe, you're not as good at anything in life as anyone else. You are a failure that will never have friends or the attention of pretty girls. Not only should you rage-quit the WZ, but you should strongly consider unsubbing and then rage-quitting your entire life, after of course leaving a letter as poorly written as your gripes in chat.

Some people suck horribly. Staying in voidstar to try to win when you're the only one caring about the doors is just griefing yourself.

Oh god this... Or watching all dps ignoring marked healers free casting for over half game... yea no...

You are quite heavily rewarded by being selfish like that by not having any chance of your time being wasted; the "rewards" for losing are pitiful in PvP, so it's not surprising people would rather take the time they'd waste in there and instead use it doing something more productive for their character.

That was fixed soon after patch 1.2 ruined it. It's fine now, go try it.

I am glad that on my server most people keep playing (had today a great huttball game, Reps on both sides, the opposing team had alread scored trice and we just once, still we got it turned to 3:3 and won with the ball in our hands).

That was fixed soon after patch 1.2 ruined it. It's fine now, go try it.

I am glad that on my server most people keep playing (had today a great huttball game, Reps on both sides, the opposing team had alread scored trice and we just once, still we got it turned to 3:3 and won with the ball in our hands).

Ignoring dailys, SWTOR follows a pretty standard paradigm of win fast > lose fast(with 8 medals) > win slowly > lose slowly. But even factoring in dailys, you're far more likely to join a game with no hope of winning if you quit often (because those are the type of spots that often up the most) so you're not exactly gaining much. Do people really think when they quit they'll join a game where the team is up 5-0 in Huttball and they'll get an easy win? Well yeah you'll join that game except you'd be on the side with the 0, not the 5. Internet connection is very reliable these days and guys on winning team obviously don't quit very often, so hoping of joining a winning game is very unlikely.

I just ignore it, most of the time who leave and say everyone on our team sucks are the ones tht really suck. most of the time when tht happens, we get more GOOD people and we end up with a comback... its actually quick funny when tht happens. they score 3 goals, half the team leaves, mor ppl come in, we score 4 goals, we win! more comms for me :rak_03:

and I also agree with this

Well the way I look at it is this: the guy who quit is never going to be someone you can count on to turn the game arond, so you're not losing anything if that guy left because you'd never win with that guy sticking around. Sure most of the time you still lose anyway, but I'll take a chance when the alternative is certain defeat.

They could easily remedy it with an inherent rating system.

Make it so winners and losers get the same amount of commendations- but, make it so winners gain 'rating' points, and losers/leavers lose some 'rating' points. It's beneficial to try to win for rating points- but even as a loser you'll get rewarded.

Eventually, all the losers/leavers will be rated together and playing together- and all the winners will be playing winners who stay in games.

Or even make it so losers stay at the same rating, and leavers lose rating- so eventually chronic leavers will only be grouped with chronic leavers- while people who lose all the time but stay for the match will eventually not be grouped with leavers- so at least 8 bads can face 8 bads.

I think it'd be a good idea to use rating even for non rated WZ just so that you've a better idea of who to pair up together. For same faction WZ, you might as well try to set up the teams as evenly as possible even if no rating is involved.

Just started PVP 2 about weeks ago, on solo que.

I have never left a match in progress. I never intend to but ... I am now a little wiser. I have had I guess 25+ games of Huttball. I don't think I have ever been on the winning team for any of them. Pretty much lose 0-6 every game. I am now sick of Huttball. I don't mind losing but the total one sided-ness of it is depressing and I see no improvement.

I suppose if i was on the otherside winning 6-0 really easily and smashing them to bits, this would be great fun and I guess I would be upset if the opposition left, much better if they stayed to let our team pulp them eh.

I started a new policy this week, when I get forced into a Huttball map - I hit the leave WZ button immediately, hopefully this is before the match has started. Better to give my slot to someone who wants to be there.

This +1