The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is the Vanguard DPS a late bloomer?

Currently level 28, have at least all prototype armour equipment, all slots filled so I'm fairly well equipped as it's all the highest I can have for my level. I'm trying the assault tree to be a DPS Vanguard and I'm pretty disappointed at the results so far.

Basically, the only time I'm effective is if my team is good enough where I can hang back and do AoE attacks and pick off individual targets that are engaged against other teammates. If I have to fend for myself, whether it's ANY other class, Sith, Agent, Bounty Hunter, etc and they are after me 3/4 of the time I'm beat.

True, maybe I'm not good enough, but for max valour at my level I'd like to consider myself a fairly experienced player. The defense abilities to get away from the melee classes are pretty poor.

Is there any hope for changing this in the future, as I advance in levels or is this a permenant weakness? I'd like to be able to hold my own in one on ones but the damage just isn't high enough against single targets and I've got nothing against the stuns, force push, backhand, scream, combos that Siths can roll through or the knockdown, stun, backstab, knive that an IA does. Sure, I can interrupt or cast the Cryo but the oooldowns are so long that I very, very rarely have those at my disposal and end up eating up half my life before I really have a chance to start attacking.

Any hope down the road?

I would say that vanguard is a late bloomer but it kinda depends on how your specced too. For whatever reason, our class has crazy good synergy with hybrid specs. So for me I have always been leveling with a hybrid spec which really is not smart at all and wont realize its full potential till level 48. I really dont know how the DPS is if you go full tactics or assault and cant speak much for that but if you want to get into these hybrids that look pretty ridiculous too me then yaa its gonna take like 48 levels.

Also we seem to be very gear dependent as well. Idk the mechanics of all of it but after I got my level 40 pvp gear i started destroying people and it was pretty crazy. Stick with vanguard, im level 43 and even with my gimped tank spec I stll put up most damage and 80% of the time get most medals in wz's.

True, maybe I'm not good enough, but for max valour at my level I'd like to consider myself a fairly experienced player.

You realize alot of the people you are playing are on alts, and have many times more warzones under thier belt.

But on topic, im not sure if this still holds but shield spec is pretty easy to level in. If your commited to being a dps spec while you level i would probaly go with assualt spec..

Edited by DakoHawk

Basically, if you're not in situations where the enemy is clustered or you can provide support fire the DPS Trooper is worthless in PvP.

Sure, but why would you pvp without an advanced class? Vangaurd is beast even at low level if played right. Yes you should use your aoes whenever you can. You also need to be competent at kiting if you want any real uptime.

DPS Vanguards definitely seem squishier than other close range classes (with the exception of Scoundrel) but there are ways to keep yourself up. If you learn to kite, you can make it very frustrating for melee classes to engage you. As we do the majority of our damage at 4-10m, if you stay somewhere in that range, you make it impossible for melee classes to touch you while still being close enough to run in with your interrupt to shut down cast abilities. The AOE stun Vanguards get later on can also be a lifesaver if you find yourself drawing a little too much attention.