Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Guild Wars 2 is not the MMO you are looking for

Teejvan

After playing some Guild Wars 2 I can fully appreciate SWTOR. Now, I realise that GW2 is in beta, but as it stands their current graphics and performance of their game world is terrible in comparison to SWTOR! I know, it's crazy to think so but it is! Even TERA is shocking too.

This is not to say that SWTOR can't learn some things from Gulid Wars 2, but I have every confidence Bioware will continue to listen to community feedback and improve their game.

Guild Wars 2 has a looooooooooooong way to go I'm afraid. No doubt I will still play it when it launches.

Oh, btw, I have a nVidia 680, Intel Core i7-2700k, SSD, 16gb of ram etc etc so I know my machine can handle high performance games.

Frankly guys, i was playing GW2 all night, and i tried sooooooooo hard to like the game.... but no...

Char feeling is absolutely awful... when your char is moving it doesnt feel like he's on the ground, it is more like floating... and when jumping? it's like a big box is in the air and lands down again...

Camera responsiveness the worst i have ever seen... it's like you losing frames when in fact you are not...

I won't comment on the ui since its stilll beta and i guess they ll fix it...

The only reason someone will play this game it's because it is free, yeah i liked some abilties bla blah, nothing that i havent seen in other mmo's though...

i won't play GW2, and that's my 2 cents...

On the other hand ofc we have swtor.... and it's empty servers, and the "we invested tones on voice over "acting" and we forgot the content"....

i just hope swtor transfers/merges will come out earlier than summer, i rly hope that, its a shame to lose more players,,, swtor is a very good game with gr8 potential, they just need to do some things to make it more appealing...

and computer info:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 4/28/2012, 13:13:00

Machine name: BIZELAKI

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)

Language: Greek (Regional Setting: Greek)

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: Z68XP-UD4

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Core i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.8GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 16302MB RAM

Page File: 4447MB used, 28153MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 580

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1080&SUBSYS_25651462&REV_A1

Display Memory: 4063 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1503 MB

Shared Memory: 2559 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: IPS231

Monitor Id: GSM5817

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

Output Type: DVI

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.6658 (English)

Driver Version: 8.17.12.6658

DDI Version: 11

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 1/8/2011 06:27:00, 12859496 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-53C0-11CF-D06D-69051FC2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x10DE

Device ID: 0x1080

SubSys ID: 0x25651462

Revision ID: 0x00A1

Edited by Shellyn

I feel like if they could solve the server population issue in SWTOR and get it so you can see more people running around in the game world that it would go a long way to improving this game and removing the feeling of dead servers.

Now they said they are going to introduce transfers so that you can move to a high population server but I would like to know more on the mechanis of how it would work.

dude, the servers are totally overcrowded, arena said they expect extreme lags and no one should be worried until they got the results from beta and the server architecture and protocol improvements afterwards.

Got a pretty decent performance out even with more than 100+ players around me and max settings.

One tip, turn of antialiasing, known issue that it's causing problems at the moment

dude, the servers are totally overcrowded, arena said they expect extreme lags and no one should be worried until they got the results from beta and the server architecture and protocol improvements afterwards.

Got a pretty decent performance out even with more than 100+ players around me and max settings.

One tip, turn of antialiasing, known issue that it's causing problems at the moment

Where have I heard this before?

Server overcrowding is not the problem. I was just logged in and even without the mad rush of people on my server I was getting about half the fps I get in ToR, and WvW is a slideshow. The game is pretty cool, but it's not the game that is going to make anyone leave their current MMO.

Seriously, I honestly think GW2 could possibly be the most over-hyped game ever made.

Game performance for me was EXCELLENT, never complaint about it, i said something totally different....

and i understand that game will change till the final release, but a Beta is a beta.. game is on it's final stage of development and what i saw didnt satisfy me...

How should i put it.... i expected a game that even if it is f2p, wouldnt look like f2p, and gw2 looks like f2p.... yeah, much better than the rest, but not for My taste...

Hello everyone!

We ask that threads in the General Discussion forum pertain to discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Due to this, we will be closing this thread for being off topic. Thank you for your understanding.