Sorcs: Do you win DPS meters in HM/SM EC?

xenofire

What parser are you using btw? I know ppl say the ACT parser runs incorrect numbers. I mean you're showing 300-400 more DPS than simulationcraft show with BIS gear sets on a Patchwork fight. Something seems wrong.

Note that the current SimC numbers are based on the maximum available gear in 1.1.5. It doesn't have any of the new campaign/blackhole gear included yet, so I'm not surprised at all that he can pull better numbers.

Beyond that, SimC was built on the assumption that only one armor buff was active, while Xeno regularly has 4-6, vastly increasing his dps potential.

Ah that stinks. In the interest of good, informative forum posts, why don't you find a group to raid with? You are very good about sharing what you learn, even if I don't always agree with your reliance on models. However, you do more for the sorc community than me, so I think you should raid and tell us how the math, et al, compares with application in a raiding scenario. In other words, and I'm not trying to sound condescending, keep up the good work re sharing info. I'd love to see your parses versus Xeno's if you each play unique specs. That would help the sorc pve community a lot, I think.

Also, I am mature enough to eat my words from pre-1.2 where I predicted sorc dps wouldn't be up to snuff...

Well, to be frank, because I'm rapidly losing interest in SWTOR. The end-game just isn't engaging or challenging enough for me. We've cleared 2/4 HM EC with 2-3 pseudo-PuGs (people we know from another semi-casual raiding guild). TERA's combat mechanics have enthralled me, and I'm finding it harder and harder to justify playing a game who's only selling point is the story telling while leveling (a leveling experience, might I add, that is ridiculously linear). We'll see how the game goes, as my next billing date isn't until mid-July, but so far Bioware hasn't really thrilled me with their handling of the game or the way they interact with the community.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres my latest Nightmare KP parse. Was only 8 man and we were only running 2 armor debuffs.

Xeno is also better geared than me, and as you look through the parse I was lazy and messed up Thundering Blast a couple times.

That being said - I think the numbers he is putting up can be accomplished under the circumstances he is giving. Once again I was on the puzzle for Fabricator so the numbers are lower than normal

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/848bfd87-f68d-4cbc-803e-788cedbcf11d/overview#d=0,b=1

(On a side note, I had a beautiful moment on Karagg where I was bloodthirsted, relic'd and adrenal'd and had a recklessness chain lightning for 6k x 5)

You let affliction fall off of the secondary target too much on jarg and sorno. You also could have kept affliction up on both adds that spawn for bonethrasher and just offtank them by the boss til the end. Chain lightning damage ftw. They need to die too, so it's not like it's padding the meters, they have to die eventually might as well cleave them down.

For foreman crusher if you have a chain lightning proc around any of the 25% transition points, sit on it, that way you'll get two quick chain lightnings into adds.

Overall, it still looks better than most madness parses I see even though you're new to lightning, so great job. =)

Edited by xenofire

You let affliction fall off of the secondary target too much on jarg and sorno. You also could have kept affliction up on both adds that spawn for bonethrasher and just offtank them by the boss til the end. Chain lightning damage ftw. They need to die too, so it's not like it's padding the meters, they have to die eventually might as well cleave them down.

For foreman crusher if you have a chain lightning proc around any of the 25% transition points, sit on it, that way you'll get two quick chain lightnings into adds.

Overall, it still looks better than most madness parses I see even though you're new to lightning, so great job. =)

Yeah. We off tank the adds on bone and our tank didnt want to stack on the boss.

Jarg and Sorno was just annoying tbh. WTB Dot Timer.

Foreman crusher I was CL-ing the adds but my guildies were being lazy so the adds would then beat on me :p.

Note that the current SimC numbers are based on the maximum available gear in 1.1.5. It doesn't have any of the new campaign/blackhole gear included yet, so I'm not surprised at all that he can pull better numbers.

Beyond that, SimC was built on the assumption that only one armor buff was active, while Xeno regularly has 4-6, vastly increasing his dps potential.

Well, to be frank, because I'm rapidly losing interest in SWTOR. The end-game just isn't engaging or challenging enough for me. We've cleared 2/4 HM EC with 2-3 pseudo-PuGs (people we know from another semi-casual raiding guild). TERA's combat mechanics have enthralled me, and I'm finding it harder and harder to justify playing a game who's only selling point is the story telling while leveling (a leveling experience, might I add, that is ridiculously linear). We'll see how the game goes, as my next billing date isn't until mid-July, but so far Bioware hasn't really thrilled me with their handling of the game or the way they interact with the community.

Ahh gotcha, makes sense. Does TERA have good pvp? Thanks for the input.

No idea, I don't really focus too much on PvP. It's got a gameplay that has grabbed me like I've not been grabbed since I first started playing WoW back in early '05, though.

No idea, I don't really focus too much on PvP. It's got a gameplay that has grabbed me like I've not been grabbed since I first started playing WoW back in early '05, though.

I don't think I could play Terra, the korean mmo thing is a bit much.

A bit off-topic here but whatever.

I played the TERA-beta for two days, couldn't do it any longer tbh(the questing is mindless grinding).

The PvP is full of aimbotting people, TERA's combat is a bit different, you're basically playing a 3rd-person-shooter.

A bit off-topic here but whatever.

I played the TERA-beta for two days, couldn't do it any longer tbh(the questing is mindless grinding).

The PvP is full of aimbotting people, TERA's combat is a bit different, you're basically playing a 3rd-person-shooter.

It's hardly mindless grinding. Is it SWTOR-quality questing? Hell no. More akin to WoW BC. It's definitely not just a grind, though, and the combat completely makes up for it. So what if you keep running into the old fallback of Kill X of Y (keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of SWTOR quests were exactly this as well, they just fluffed it up with talking heads), every combat sessions is dynamic and engaging in a way SWTOR could never dream of. I have literally had more fun playing TERA in the week since it released than I've had playing any game since I first started playing WoW back in vanilla (you know, before they broke everything). It's just so much fun to actually have the power in your own hands. Dodging stuff instead of hoping your RNG dodge chance succeeds. Aiming instead of trying to cap out that annoying to-hit stat. I strongly suspect TERA is going to be a dark-horse favourite.

So it's a FPS with RPG stats?

In a way, yes. The gameplay reminds me of a fantasy-setting version of Mass Effect 3's gameplay. I've also been told it is strongly reminiscent of Monster Hunter's gameplay. Basically an excellent hybridization of FPS and RPG game styles. The aiming isn't quite as tight as an FPS (and projectiles usually have a slower speed, so they can be more easily dodged), and melee in particularly isn't terribly FPS (most melee attacks are swing arcs rather than specifically aimed effects), but at the same time you have many RPG elements as well. I recommend giving it a try.

I realize this is a thing you like, but your description makes it sound like a game I have no interest in.

If I liked shooters, I'd already be playing them and not playing MMOs.

I'm not really trying to convince you to play. If it doesn't sound interesting, don't play it, simple as that. I just find it a refreshing change of pace from...well, every MMO for the past decade or so. Still, I think you're rather over-simplifying it. It doesn't really play like a shooter, despite the aiming mechanic.

My guild just ran some content with myself and another campaign/black hole sorc comparing dps. I went full lightning while he went madness. Keep in mind that these numbers are only one run and that I am more familiar with madness playstyle.

World boss in Northern Hoth = Madness - 2093.8 dps / Lightning - 2077.1 dps.

For Nightmare Pilgrim = Madness 1295.2 dps / Lightning - 1292.3 dps

Kephess = Madness - 1068.8 / Lightning - 1118.1 dps (Messy run teaching new members)

Taking into account that I am not as skilled at lightning as I am at madness, my dps would probably go up 100 dps or so with more practice. However, the point is that with both specs we are always in the top 3 with our sniper dps usually the top two. Therefore, both specs seem to do very well if the user is skilled with lightning spec having potential for higher dps but also with more potential for mistakes that will drastically lower your dps (I.E missed procs or clipping dots).

I'd really love to see practiced and efficient hybrid and madness sorcs come out and post numbers that compare to mine in content like KP where everyone uses the same strategy and it's just a straight forward race to kill things with very little strategy other than that. (Even on strategic fights on EC I do extremely well, I'm giving others the benefit of the doubt.)

Decided to to give your build/theory a try next week. We just got done raiding for the week tonight, I was running a hybrid this week and floated from 1200-1400 every fight. Will post back next week

Edited by JDotter