If 1.3 Isn't Out by May - Will You Unsub?

brentonj

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many of the people in the first few pages are quietly playing the game and doing their best to avoid blowing their cover by posting somewhere on these forums.

I'd say 99%.

Wish I could hurry up and make a pretty chart to confirm it. Oh well.

I wouldn't say that. However, 400,000 people quitting a game that has only been out 5 months is NOT good.

it is more than 400K it is a net loss of 400k with 400k more copies of the game sold..it means as many as 800k people quit the game in the quarter and as many as 1.1 million quitting in the first 5 months. 2.4 mil in sales wth only 1.3 mil remaining active.

it is more than 400K it is a net loss of 400k with 400k more copies of the game sold..it means as many as 800k people quit the game in the quarter and as many as 1.1 million quitting in the first 5 months. 2.4 mil in sales wth only 1.3 mil remaining active.

Interesting. I didn't even think of it that way.

The game has SO many problems right now, and yet it continues to bleed and hemorrhage subscriptions - without generating any positive news or excitement.

I wouldn't say that. However, 400,000 people quitting a game that has only been out 5 months is NOT good.

Once Bioware adds features people are aching for such are the LFG tool and free character transfers for example a lot of people will come back.

Subscription fluctuation is perfectly normal in MMO's.

I know a lot of people (myself included) have felt like patch 1.2 was essentially fluff and features that should have been available at launch.

As such, my guild agreed last night that we're quitting unless we get new content in May. Particularly with Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 on the horizon. Now granted - James Ohlen himself has promised there will be monthly updates:

I suppose we'll have to wait and see. I'm certainty not holding my breath. Swtor currently feels very dull and static. For a Raiding Guild - we collectively were not impressed by EC. Though it's a step in the right direction from the abomination that was Tier 1.

Anyone else feeling the same regarding 1.3?

Nope. And you should have also underlined the previous sentence by Olson as well as consider there are more than one way to take what was stated.

"You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe, it's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

I read that and get that we're going to see changes and additions continue to roll out month after month. Like they have since the game launched. Every maintenance patch brings changes to the game.

If you or anyone else is expecting content in the scale of 1.2 on a monthly basis then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I will let my sub lapse when I am no longer having any fun. It not based on when this patch happens or that patch happens on time or if Jupiter aligns with Venus on the 3rd warm night in July.

The I'm leaving and my whole clan is coming with me is only going to set your self up for fail as you move from Game to Game expecting Z and only getting X.

Once Bioware adds features people are aching for such are the LFG tool and free character transfers for example a lot of people will come back.

Subscription fluctuation is perfectly normal in MMO's.

So, you mean by the time Bioware adds the server-side LFG tool (meaning that dead servers will remain dead), and the even better selective free transfers (meaning that you can decide to join a just-now-rotting server from your already-dead-one, since BW will by no means allow server merges and thus tarnish its reputation of " a bajillion live servers, we so rule the world with subs") , you will see people come back?

Subscription fluctuation is perfectly normal, in MMOs. Recurring acts of blatant idiocy on the developers part (often describable simply by "that other MMO we hate did it before us, so we will just use an older and broken version of (insert feature) because we totally are something different") are not, in any possible way.

I don't have to wait for 1.3, I already unsubbed, I know some hard core gamers who cancelled their sub on February because they said 1.2 was not coming out before April, turns out they're right, and that 1.3 won't be coming out at least July, so I'm thinking they're right all along and I have no patience to wait until July for 1.3 and server transfers, I am no masochist, so good luck to all those who keep enduring Bioware's low quality service.

I don't have to wait for 1.3, I already unsubbed, I know some hard core gamers who cancelled their sub on February because they said 1.2 was not coming out before April, turns out they're right, and that 1.3 won't be coming out at least July, so I'm thinking they're right all along and I have no patience to wait until July for 1.3 and server transfers, I am no masochist, so good luck to all those who keep enduring Bioware's low quality service.

So heres the interesting thing about this line of thought.

People leave. They go off to whatever they think will be the next big game. And they find... its not really the next big game, its alot of the same things we have already seen. Partly because the development times are years behind, and partly because new doesnt equate to better.

Now dont get me wrong. I am not some vapid fan, drooling and vehemently defending anything. I see problems. Lots and lots of problems. Particularly my dead server, which is a huge issue. However, Im not one to jump ship to the new game just because the developers swear its awesome.

GW2 will not meet the unrealistic expectations of people. Its not that the game will be bad (although it could be, I have no idea.) I just know, that the vast majority of gamers will have unrealistic expectations about a game, and thus be highly disappointed when the game doesnt immediately change to suit their personal desires.

I am reminded of the train analogy bioware first used in reference to launch, and I think in spirit it applies here. A train, moving on its tracks, cannot make an immediate change of direction. It requires planning, forethought, and careful implementation, otherwise you wind up with a train wreck. Passengers, can of course, jump off the train. Most likely they will wind up bruised, annoyed, and angry... and then returning to the train a couple of stops down.

However, if you think the next great thing is out there. And its just around the corner. You should most definately go look.

Ill be on the train, and Im relatively certain you'll return too, a couple of stops down.

So, you mean by the time Bioware adds the server-side LFG tool (meaning that dead servers will remain dead), and the even better selective free transfers (meaning that you can decide to join a just-now-rotting server from your already-dead-one, since BW will by no means allow server merges and thus tarnish its reputation of " a bajillion live servers, we so rule the world with subs") , you will see people come back?

What?

When free transfers move to a dead server all at once, that server is no longer dead. Server mergers are not needed and are impossible to implement well, hence why NO MMO EVER DOES THEM.

I guess it must be fun being an armchair developer.

I already unsubed.

I did so because the developers keep making the same bad MMO design choices over and over, then going back and reverting those changes.

I would rather pay for a game where the developers first THINK out the design choices and then implement them.

As such, my guild agreed last night that we're quitting unless we get new content in May. Particularly with Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 on the horizon.

I really tried to hate Diablo 3, but it turned out to be a lot of fun in a old school nostalgic dungeon crawler type of way. I really enjoyed the demo and I have already pre-ordered.

It will make a great distraction, but it won't make me unsub ToR especially since it won't cost me anything other than the box price.

GW2 on the other hand sucks! The first GW sucked and this new one sucks thats harsh, but it's my opinion, but what strikes me as interesting is that the people who are complaining that there isn't new content every month in ToR are going to be the same people raging that they are bored out of their mind a few months down the line after the launch of GW2.

..and no the fact that you won't have to pay a sub isn't going to make it any better

Also how big is your guild?

Edited by Hardwear

What?

When free transfers move to a dead server all at once, that server is no longer dead. Server mergers are not needed and are impossible to implement well, hence why NO MMO EVER DOES THEM.

They are not impossible and they have been done before.

What?

EQ2 did them a couple of times. My server, Everfrost, was merged with Crushbone (I believe that was the name).

SWG did it.

I don't doubt it. I left after the NGE stripped my Ranger of all of his skills and I REALLY like that character so I was done with Sony after that. I had two accounts just so I could have a crafter and a combat character.