An Open Letter To Bioware - Server Pops Down

Jinook_Phi

Ive played SWG BETA through about four months after the NGE and was apart of a very awesome guild. I played WoW , multiple toons to include my main, which was a hunter I maxed out when they introduced the Death Knight expansion. In WoW, I was also apart of an awesome guild. SWTOR was a game I waited for and talked about for years and in many ways, it did not let me down. Some of my best gaming moments ever, have been in this game, mainly around the storyline and some great moments there. So the typical BW strength, that of rich story driven, companion centric RPG- BW excelled. But as an MMO, sorry, but BW just does not get it and more importantly then anything else, does not listen to some very critical feedback.

A friend I turned onto the game wrote me, telling me he missed the capital cities of WoW and the starter zones that seemed almost magical. After getting my Jedi Sent to 50, facing boring, repetitive dailies, no grouping system, content that requires me to repeat the same zones over and over to get legacy perks, on and on I could go, I just gave up. I think even from a content standpoint, I would have been more patient. But there were big issues that every time I saw them brought up, credible issues by players genuinely trying to get this game where it could be, the response was either nada or to blow us off. Even in these blog posts, you can just read them and see where the management team just blasts past things we've been saying since day one. I really wanted to play an MMO so I hoped on Rift and WOW what a difference.

-The Rifts are a rather amazing idea that allowed me to "quasi raid" right away, at like level 8. Later, when I got into the teens, I got do a group join and run dungeons anytime I want, already, while just in the teens.

-I had a mount at level 8. My life was so much easier as a result.

-The AH, our GTN, makes sense and works very well. And their fees, to include the fees for "mending" your soul, to include the fees when porting, on and on I could go, were all sane- not a fraction of what it costs me just to play for a week in TOR. They get how an economy should work, TOR does not. In fact, Ive never played a game where the in game money was so out of whack.

-Crafting. We were told we would now be able to make items that you could not buy at a vendor. There were several I zeroed in on as an artificer. Boom, the patch comes in with the new dailies from Corellia and guess what? There on the vendors list, items better then what I can make.

-Zones. Although there are a few breathtaking zones, most of them are war torn burnt out cities that at first were cool, but MMO'rs spend lots of hours playing, we dont want to see death and destruction non stop. Once, I bumped into a smallish woods area that was like WoW or the amazing Dathomir in SWG and it was great. But there are very few magical and cool places to explore in TOR. And the zones are very small.

-Rift had me obssesed with collecting artifacts almost right away. It was so great to be riding mountain tops again, exploring, finding cool surprises. I even bumped into an amazing rock climbing rock that took me like 30 minutes to climb, insane views up top. My reward? An epic item from a glowing stack on top.

-Hybrids. Wow, I cant even begin to document the number of options available to me on Rift. My hunter is a rogue that can port and do some mean hand to hand, friggin a blast to play. And Im already in a guild with VERY supportive and kind people. And to change roles, of which I can have four, or play with points, doesnt cost me a fortune. I can find what works for me, they make it easy, not hard.

-Then one of the final insults to me, Legacy. I love the idea, but so much of it was poorly put together. I make a toon the grandfather of the whole clan, but when I look at the chart- it doesnt say that, it has no meaning. Theres no place for me to write a story that other players can inspect. And my so called Legacy locks, more often then not, cost me a minor fortune to use. So whats the motivation and point?

-Rift is almost 3D, beautifully rendered and fantastic and not a single lag or tech problem once. I never have a problem or am made to feel my computer is not enough, I can play and do play on max settings, not a single issue. On TOR, Im made to feel that its always my computers fault.

Start listening to vets of MMO, people that have years of experience, or perish. I just got tired of trying and trying only to have insane demands on credits to enjoy content, everywhere I turned, more and more work, versus fun- it just burnt me out. And Im not alone, more and more articles are popping up on gamer sites saying the same thing.

I will keep my sub for the next 3-6 months to see if TOR get itself squared away because like I said, to core quest was rather amazing. But I rarely log on, just not worth it when I can have tons more fun at level 25 on Rift. Their raid dynamics of Rifts constantly opening up, cool perks for world events that are constantly playing out, I dont have to work so dang hard to have fun. And I have lost track of how many times something has blown me away in their world. Although I know the people up on high at TOR would never do this, they should, they should get an account on Rift- their top of the line collectors edition (about $40 versus the $150 I paid on TOR) and just play Rift for 30 days, thats it, just do that and you will see what I mean. If I can have that kind of a Star Wars and MMO experience, I would be back in a heartbeat. But even the tone of your last blog post tell me, that wont happen any time soon if ever. Sad, because you could have one heck of a game.

Hello everyone,

While we do appreciate anyone who takes the time to compile constructive feedback for us, we're closing this thread, as we do have a forum for suggestions and many subforums for specific topics. We also ask that discussions remain on-topic and centered on Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, and do not delve into debate regarding the merit of other games.

If you have a specific suggestion or individual piece of feedback, we encourage you to post in the Suggestion Box forum or to make a thread regarding your issue in the relevant subforum.

If you would like to engage in discussion regarding server populations, you may also find these threads relevant:

Server population is dropping...

Server Population is GROWING!

Thank you!