The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Heat Burst is Underwhelming?

Obtena

Don't get me wrong, venting heat and doing damage at the same time while being off the GCD is pretty nice but as a top talent it should be more than nice, it should be awesome. I was really underwhelmed by the damage and the CD on it. It's selling point isn't particularly attractive for me either, considering you can avoid the need to vent heat with a 31 point talent by simply managing your heat properly. The utility of that heat venting effect is so situational and combined with the other weak points of it, makes it really inconsequential to me. Edited by Obtena

If you are a solid tank spec you are already going to be spending at least 30 points in that tree. For 1 point spent you get an off the GCD damage ability that vents heat. It's worth the point.

Is it worth top tree status? Debatable. Shield Tech tree is pretty damn strong as it is.

I think the main logic behind the decreased damage is PvP. I think STs would be OP in PvP if Heat Blast (an "elemental" damage ability) would do more damage. That would make a crit RP+HB combo pretty sick.

I actually find it quite useful. With it being off the global cool down my burst has gone up. Leap, RP, ED, RS, HB lead to pretty good burst especially when RS, HB, and ED all go off at roughly the same time. Add in the fact that it dissipates heat and it's really awesome for me. Sure, I'd like it to be on a shorter cooldown but then you're getting into it being OP.

I find it rather easy to go a little high on heat, especially when recating to fight mechanics or moving, i tend to keep hitting attacks for threat, and watch the ground/boss animations/ buff bars/cooldowns more than my heat. I like to have the heat blast reduction in there to keep me below 40. It's damage is actually quite good for an off-gcd ability, as elemental is not affected by armor.

Besides, shat else are you gonna take? Retractable blade? Good luck on your heat then, though i guess burst would still bea bit better. Meh.

NO it's not.

Not the current way they have it. It suxs.

Then don't take it if you think it blows. It really helps me manage my heat alot better. Next to this it's off the GCD & it does damage which isn't mitigated by armor. Which has been said a few times above already.