Wonderful SWTOR Paradox

Rioma_

Yeah, but it would be hard to make an MMORPG that has a personal story in it if it wasnt about YOU sometime right?

look, the class missions make up around 1/10th of the missions... its not a big deal...

OTOH, they make up about 25% of the missions I actually bother to do. So there's that.

The most satisfying "social" interaction, for me, is both with my guild and the people I've grouped with in game. The companions are more or less tools that I use for crafting etc. So, if one chooses a blow up doll over a real woman, that becomes their choice, not an absolute across the board.

You are employing a logical fallacy of mind projection here....and even if this were a truism, it would be an irony, not a paradox.

Either way, this is your issue skip, not the game's.

Most of the people I've grouped with in game are, I guess you could say, unsatisfying. You all seem to think you're more fun to hang out with than you actually are. No offense intended (though I'm sure I'm being a little offensive; it's an unfortunate by-product of speaking the truth), I'm just saying I very rarely come across anyone I'd actually want to socialize with outside of the context of "let's do this Heroic."

The reason for this is of course that the class stories are very precisely written and in many cases it would simply make no sense to the story with two BHs, Knights, or whatever to both have the story applied to them.
I think it is also because the decisions you make (such as "kill the guy" or "send him back for trial") can affect future class quest conversations. So you might not want to make the same decisions as the other player.

I did some group quest for the first time last night (other than ops and flashpoints)

I was horrified.

I was playing BH, with another BH and we couldn't help each other with the class quests unless we did the quest twice

***?? the quests are identical but yet we both couldn't get credit for killing a boss

This game is not an MMORPG, its a new genre of game that can't quite be defined yet

Just imagine a group of 4 friends that decide to roll jedi to play the game together from level 1. Yeah, that was a "fun" experiment that didn't last long.

The reason for it is the player decisions. One player might decide to kill an NPC during their class quests while another might decide to let him live.

Most of the people I've grouped with in game are, I guess you could say, unsatisfying. You all seem to think you're more fun to hang out with than you actually are. No offense intended (though I'm sure I'm being a little offensive; it's an unfortunate by-product of speaking the truth), I'm just saying I very rarely come across anyone I'd actually want to socialize with outside of the context of "let's do this Heroic."

You really have a point here. I've actually had people i'm grouped with for heroics flat out ignore me when I try to chat. They want to complete the content and move on. No time to talk, or get to know other players. Some obviously don't even care about easy social points, because they'll drop group as soon as the boss is killed or whatever and fast travel out. I have 2 50's and 2 mid-level alts and haven't even found a guild yet. (speaking of that, if you're on Vrook Lamar and have a decent guild, send me a PM)

I did some group quest for the first time last night (other than ops and flashpoints)

I was horrified.

I was playing BH, with another BH and we couldn't help each other with the class quests unless we did the quest twice

***?? the quests are identical but yet we both couldn't get credit for killing a boss

This game is not an MMORPG, its a new genre of game that can't quite be defined yet

Maybe reading the game manual would help sometimes.

You only get social points by being with a person throughout a quest, basically you need to level in a permant fixed group to get anything other than miserly amounts of social points.

So the best way to get social points is to be completely anti-social (to anyone outside your permanent fixed group).

Conversely you can be the most social person in the game, helping and meeting others, but if you don't hand in quests with them then no "social" points for you.

It's a paradox. :(

There is no paradox. Just stopping to heal someone or help them kill a mob is not 'being social'. That's being helpful.

Now, I will agree that perhaps there should be some mechanism for earning social points in cantinas during roleplay sessions but if you run Flashpoints - you'll receive major social points. My brother ran my new Jedi Knight through Esseles last night. It was a 2 man group and my knight earned 102 social points. This is a repeatable activity at end game, so earning social points (at least now) is easy-pesy with Flashpoints.

I don't understand why Operations don't reward social points since you are in there with 8 or 16 others, but in the end - it's not really like social point rewards are show-stopping anyway. In the end, it's a nicety to award you for being in a group with others.

There is no paradox though. Obviously, a game cannot award anyone with a meaningful currency for just emoting to others all the time.

Any one Companion has more personality and character than that of the random player you encounter in game.

The Companion is a simple soft AI. I wonder if there are more ways and tools to facilitate the projection of a player's role-playing character and personality in game.

Any one Companion has more personality and character than that of the random player you encounter in game.

The Companion is a simple soft AI. I wonder if there are more ways and tools to facilitate the projection of a player's role-playing character and personality in game.

One of the biggest things that Champions did to facilitate that was letting people select an animation set for the things we see toons do the most: running around. I mean, it was only (IIRC) four or five different choices, but it actually did make a difference in the presentation of the toon - up until we all got rope-swinging travel powers.