The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pc specification

stephenalandavie

I'd stick with the SSD, reduced load times and instant access to files and programs is priceless. I certainly wouldn't drop it in order to get an i7 as its extra threads wouldn't be used in games anyway, there's hardly any that even use the 4 cores of the i5. Clock for clock they have the same performance.

Good point, it is graphically i want to make sure i will have no issues really. some of the motherboards say microatx which i thought meant they only supported ATI yet it is allowing me to select a Nvidia.

- I would spend a little extra and skip the i5 CPU in favor of an i7. It won't cost much more, will provide a noticeable performance increase, and will keep the system solidly in the "higher-end gaming tier" for an additional year-or-two.

I disagree. The i7 2600k (sister to your i5 2500k) is essentially the same chip with more hyperthreading. This sounds good, but it only gives any improvement on something that is heavily parallelised, which is not the case for games. It is not worth the upgrade at all, unless there is something else you would use it for that would benefit from it.

If you are looking to change out the CPU, I would suggest looking into Intel's new Ivy Bridge line of cards. They're supposed to be more energy efficient than the previous line, Sandy Bridge, which your 2500k is a part of.

- I would spend a little extra and skip the i5 CPU in favor of an i7. It won't cost much more, will provide a noticeable performance increase, and will keep the system solidly in the "higher-end gaming tier" for an additional year-or-two.

- A SSD is great, but your hard drive is rarely a bottleneck in a consumer-level system (unless for some odd reason you would also be hosting a large SQL database with large amounts of random IO, or something else with a similar IO profile). You could safely skip the SSD and not see much of a performance impact at all, offsetting the cost of the more powerful i7 CPU.

- 16GB of memory is overkill; 8GB is enough for daily tasks and gaming, 12GB is enough if you're also going to be using the system for extremely memory intensive tasks.

actually, that would be a bad idea. the i5 has better over all performance than the i7. the i7 has an issue with running at its peak. it will do it but only for a couple of milliseconds then it will drop back down. it doesn't like running all of its processors. the i5 however does not share that issue and runs at peak performance more consistently which in turn saves on the life of the processor. so the i5 is a better deal for your money, and as for your question about SLI and crossfire. those are just trademarked names for Nvidia and ATI respectively, if you have two of the same card and want to connect the min that way the motherboard doesn't make a difference as long as it supports the slot for the cards and the CPU.

actually, that would be a bad idea. the i5 has better over all performance than the i7. the i7 has an issue with running at its peak. it will do it but only for a couple of milliseconds then it will drop back down. it doesn't like running all of its processors. the i5 however does not share that issue and runs at peak performance more consistently which in turn saves on the life of the processor. so the i5 is a better deal for your money, and as for your question about SLI and crossfire. those are just trademarked names for Nvidia and ATI respectively, if you have two of the same card and want to connect the min that way the motherboard doesn't make a difference as long as it supports the slot for the cards and the CPU.

It would appear SLI can be done on a Crossfire board, but it won't work out-of-the-box. I wouldn't suggest trying it.

Edited by MillionsKNives

I am actually contemplating to, Changing the intel processor for an AMD six core its more or less the same price and the rest of the parts are the same. Has this game faced issues with AMD processors?

More cores doesn't necessarily mean better performance.

Unless you're on a tight budget I'd personally suggest Intel. And I wouldn't consider the i5 2500k a budget CPU. In my opinion Intel has been dominating the higher end CPU market for some time now.

I am actually contemplating to, Changing the intel processor for an AMD six core its more or less the same price and the rest of the parts are the same. Has this game faced issues with AMD processors?
The AMD system I built 3 years ago runs the game fine (as "fine" as can be expected given its age, anyway).

You will need to get a different motherboard if you want to use an AMD CPU, though. You can't just stick an AMD CPU in an Intel motherboard, or vice versa.

Edited by Adric_the_Red

There are 2 issues with your build.

First, AMD Radeon video cards = Crossfire, nVidia video cards = SLI. Especially with micro ATX motherboards (which you have specced) you need to specifically see SLI if you're thinking of using 2 nVidia cards. I don't see SLI specifically stated with your motherboard. If you look at the Maximus V Gene from Asus (micro ATX) you'll see support for both. It's not an issue if you're only using 1 video card, but if you want to use 2 - then you'll have a problem with 2 nVidia cards with your motherboard you have in your build.

Second, if you are thinking one day you'll get 2 video cards - you'll need a more robust power supply than a 600W.

Really if you look at the MB it has 1 PCIe 16 slot running at x16 the other is x4 so the only crosfire your going to see is the hybird using the built in graphics and a cheap GPU. The board is not made for running 2 cards.

Greetings everyone!

Welcome to the forums! We have a few threads that are dedicated in assisting you with any technical questions you have in regards to specs and help in order to run Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. You can find these links and more in our New Players Fleet Pass: A Directory of Resources

As a reminder, our Minimum System Requirements found in our FAQ are as followed:

What are the system requirements for the game?

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later

RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM

Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM

Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better

nVidia 7800 or better

Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

DVD-ROM drive – 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only) Internet connection required to play.

A few threads that may be of assistance to you:

Desktop Hardware Q&A

Looking to Build a New Machine?

If you are looking to increase your performance, we have the following guides that may assist you:

The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

Ultimate* Desktop PC Performance Guide

We hope this helps!