Fishing

SethTheSith

Before you say anything, understand that I have seen the other threads. I'm not suggesting other mini games, like Pazaak (though that sounds neat). I'm not suggesting something similar to fishing. This is my formal suggestion that BioWare implement fishing into the game. I also hope that being formal and specific will draw more supportive player attention to this thread.

I'm not going to name the various mmos that include this activity, but they are out there, including that one big mmo, and I have enjoyed fishing in each game I have tried.

This would likely be a gathering skill, and a 4th free crew skill. The fishing mechanics should at least include the player being near water, and having to interact with the game every so often in order to fish up loot.

Optional and interesting features include fishing quests, fishing skill levels, fishing for rare objects and codex entries, fishing gear, a cooking crew skill, etc.

Why is it a good idea to add fishing to any mmorpg? Because many players love to do it. I have never enjoyed a mmo gathering skill the way I have enjoyed fishing. This will further draw gamers into the Star Wars universe, a good thing for both BioWare, EA, and the players themselves. Users could also feel less bored when they are in a waiting situation. Instead of unenthusiastically flipping through a social networking site, twiddling their thumbs, or god forbid, running in circles in-game, players can actually do something neat. This would not make the game a clone of another game, it would simply just be adding an excellent commonly-used activity.

The bodies of water across the galaxy are going to waste! If you want fishing in The Old Republic, support this thread!

A Sith Lord... standing by a a pool of water.. fishing.. really? Why bring tired old ideas from other games and want them put into a Star Wars MMO? or any other MMO? If you like to fish... go to a lake with a laptop and fish and play SWTOR while you're waiting.

To quote a poorly portrayed villain in a black cybernetic suit from ~4300 years in the future:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It was never fun in any game I've ever played, and I've got this stinking suspicion that if they added it, they would add sweet rewards / crafting materials to it, therefore making it semi-mandatory to sit around for hours clicking every 10-30 seconds.

So no. Just no.

I can just see the new "Key Features" bullet points for the game:

Define your Star Wars Saga!

Choose the Light Or Dark Side!

Adventure With Companions!

Engage in Heroic Star Wars Combat!

Pilot Your Personal Starship!

Discover A Fully Featured MMO!

Go Fish!*

* Some features may require beer, not included in subscription.

Edited by mathisk

• 4 weeks later...
Personally I think it'd be a great idea and I know I'm not the only one. A lot of people are very against the concept but I don't understand why. I can understand them not being interested but to be against it being implemented makes little sense.

To quote a poorly portrayed villain in a black cybernetic suit from ~4300 years in the future:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It was never fun in any game I've ever played, and I've got this stinking suspicion that if they added it, they would add sweet rewards / crafting materials to it, therefore making it semi-mandatory to sit around for hours clicking every 10-30 seconds.

So no. Just no.

/5char

I can just see the new "Key Features" bullet points for the game:

Define your Star Wars Saga!

Choose the Light Or Dark Side!

Adventure With Companions!

Engage in Heroic Star Wars Combat!

Pilot Your Personal Starship!

Discover A Fully Featured MMO!

Go Fish!*

* Some features may require beer, not included in subscription.

*snort*

lol

Nuff said!!

So no. Just no.

Basically you are saying that fishing in MMOs isn’t enjoyable. I think what you mean to say is that you personally don’t find fishing enjoyable. As for making it semi mandatory you are basing your suspicion on zero information.

If you think about it, neither of your points are objective reasons not to add a new feature to the game.

*snort*

lol

Nuff said!!

For me fishing cones under the “Discover a Fully Featured MMO!” line. I’m enjoying SWTOR a lot but it’s not what I’d describe as a fully featured MMO, one featuring missing is downtime/social activities.