Future 3D Space Combat

Rohanshot

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want some awesome PVP style combat, they need to take a page from Battlestar Galactica Online.

That has BAR NONE best pvp ship to ship combat you can find. Only thing that is better about this ship combat is that you can target individual systems instead of just a hit box on a ship.

If they made the flight mechanics like BGO, but kept how you target specific modules, the ship combat would be AWESOME.

just my two credits

leaning towards getting the wingnut package...seems like the most bang for your buck...I wonder how many are actually going to have commander titles at launch:P

Be weary with your money, last time i dropped over $100 dollars on a game it turned out to be Star Wars game that was all hype and no substance

I can already picture all the complaining when they decide to implement it

"Why are they taking so long to finish it?!"

"Why is it so difficult?!"

"Why is the difference between a well geared and a "normal" starfighter so huge?!"

"Why did they spend time creating this when they should have fixed bugs?!"

"Where's capital ship combat?!"

There is a rule in SWTOR: People will always QQ :p

They should have had full space game in at launch. Playing catch up now is something they wouldn't have to have done. How on earth they could have made a star wars game without space is something I'll never get my head around.

And it's funny how they've been so quiet about it, but now it's come out top in the polls, suddenly they're soooo excited.

You mean like that other starwars game had at release... what was it.. swg. Think it was JTL.

Well actually swg didnt have space combat or anything releated to space for about 2 years.

And thats 2 years after release. All that game focused on was stuff related to being on the ground.

So yea.

Edited by darkwingduk

Be weary with your money, last time i dropped over $100 dollars on a game it turned out to be Star Wars game that was all hype and no substance

Remembering how great Chris Robert's games were in the past, I would be willing to gamble $100 away just for the possibility of a modern rendition of the classic space sim that won't see the light of day for another 2 years.

And to be honest, his sales pitch (if you've watched the video) is pretty compelling. Listening to what he has to say about the corporate approach on game making, what happened when MS bought out his company and where he wants to take his new project instead, I trust him a million times more than EA.

I'd argue the opposite. Full, 3D space flight is exactly what they should be making. It's not as niche as you think, as biowares own poll shows. And even if it is niche, that doesn't mean it would be a waste of time. There's plenty of niche genres that people like to play ;)

And i would argue this isnt a space sim its a starwars game that has space content. You want that much space combat and what not.. the game your talking about is eve online.

They said that the space combat we have in tor is a mini side game.

Some where after this was said like most things when people cant seem to use common sense was misunderstood.

Its a mini side game to play when your a bit bored / tired from quest and playing the actual game.

I'm still playing Star Wars: Battlefront II, waiting for a follow-up. I played X-Wing, and I'm still waiting for a follow-up. They have screw-up, ignored, or canceled sequels to the most successful games in the IP's history. Logic or marketing demand doesn't always command what Lucasarts does or gets others to do.

You mean like that other starwars game had at release... what was it.. swg. Think it was JTL.

Well actually swg didnt have space combat or anything releated to space for about 2 years.

And thats 2 years after release. All that game focused on was stuff related to being on the ground.

So yea.

JTL was less than 18 months after SWG launched. Also, whilst it was a ground based game before that there was plenty to do outside combat. Planets were actually worth exploring, not the limited maps we have here. Crafting was light years ahead of the basic childsplay in this game. I could list endless more things it had than this game but making TOR look bad compared to SWG isn't hard so I won't.

JTL was less than 18 months after SWG launched. Also, whilst it was a ground based game before that there was plenty to do outside combat. Planets were actually worth exploring, not the limited maps we have here. Crafting was light years ahead of the basic childsplay in this game. I could list endless more things it had than this game but making TOR look bad compared to SWG isn't hard so I won't.

Quoted for Emphasis, also I would wait 18months for a proper Star Wars game rather than the flash tunnel shooter we have now.

Boy...anybody who is doubting full 3d space combat saying it will never happen, are you in for one HECK of a surprise. Let's keep it at that ;) Those who know me know what I'm talking about ;)

Sigh.

There has never been a confirmed developer post on "not-on-rails 3D". Ever. Ever ever ever. Daniels "new pixel space" from last June is ambiguous and can be interpreted either way.

I'm glad you have some super-secret-source. But honestly, the only reason I can think of for a dev to not spell it out is that it might get canceled leaving pissed fans. If it were definitely in the works, why not talk about it?

I'll still be thrilled if it happens, but I have no faith that it will without a Bioware employee commenting on it publically.

I actually think this was done on purpose. For having something to come back to for the people. Can you imagine the amount of people that will come back for open space/pvp battles/fleet battles/warzones in space/guild ships?

millions. MILLIONS. On top of free to play? In the future you are looking at the king. Mark my words.

Sigh.

There has never been a confirmed developer post on "not-on-rails 3D". Ever. Ever ever ever. Daniels "new pixel space" from last June is ambiguous and can be interpreted either way.

I'm glad you have some super-secret-source. But honestly, the only reason I can think of for a dev to not spell it out is that it might get canceled leaving pissed fans. If it were definitely in the works, why not talk about it?

I'll still be thrilled if it happens, but I have no faith that it will without a Bioware employee commenting on it publically.

Can it be a person who KNOWS a BioWare employee perhaps a very important one? ;)

I actually think this was done on purpose. For having something to come back to for the people. Can you imagine the amount of people that will come back for open space/pvp battles/fleet battles/warzones in space/guild ships?

millions. MILLIONS. On top of free to play? In the future you are looking at the king. Mark my words.

Yeah it will bring back many people, so why not announce that you are working on it, unless it doesn't exsist...

Yeah it will bring back many people, so why not announce that you are working on it, unless it doesn't exsist...

The next logical date to announce it would be the day it goes F2P.

The "old 1-50" content goes free, a ton of new premium sub content gets announced. Would make sense.

They should start teasing a bit of the new space content, before I spend all my money on "Star Citizen" funding :cool:

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

If they attend to do combat versus players space is going to be the most good thing, (hopefully also) world content things..

but as far as I know, pvp or pve with other players in space battles, is not the best hero engine good at... so I assume the changes will be in gameplay experience mostly, to feel like a true simulator maybe... hard to achieve and not always THAT succesfull and acurate with ur lazers and rockets.. Simply I believe, they will implement succesful gameplay style from other simulators, into swtor space missions..

now if bioware modify or change the engine in the near feature to something better than the 2005 hero engine... we may see pvp and pve with others in a space battle (?) or even planets... Like the war with the walkers and t fighters.

Edited by Oyranos

If you want some awesome PVP style combat, they need to take a page from Battlestar Galactica Online.

That has BAR NONE best pvp ship to ship combat you can find. Only thing that is better about this ship combat is that you can target individual systems instead of just a hit box on a ship.

If they made the flight mechanics like BGO, but kept how you target specific modules, the ship combat would be AWESOME.

just my two credits

I didn't like BGO because the whole browser-based thing actually made the controls pretty crappy. You'd try to do a barrel roll or a loop and at some point the ship would just get stuck and stop turning. Also the camera angles were lacking, I had to constantly switch between gun cam and chase cam. The default camera view of 3D Asteroids was unusable for combat.

So you're threatening your friend's job by pretending to leak?

I'm not threatening anything. Please don't make absurd assumptions like that Foobert. Cmon now. I know you. If I had stuff to leak, I don't pretend. Everything I have said that would come true has come true for this game.

Boy...anybody who is doubting full 3d space combat saying it will never happen, are you in for one HECK of a surprise. Let's keep it at that ;) Those who know me know what I'm talking about ;)

Tell me what you know, if it surprises me i will take back all the nasty things i have ever said about SW:TOR

Of course, i know you are talking out of your rear end.

With tokens involved and dailes? it will destroy the half essense of it... They must create a system that tokens or tirs, no need to be involved at all.. So everybody will enjoy it as it is with conflicts, wars and aliances.. for once.. I wish to build my space station, not to earn it with tokens.. I wish to do them all manually / legit.. is that bad?

A question... Space combat pvp and pve, demands increased draw distanse? Because right now.. it lucks a bit

Edited by Oyranos