Plan to fix Resolve?

doromleynek

He quoted someone who claims that some stuns do not generate resolve. Since he used "SOME" not "sometimes" then it should be easy to reproduce, am I right?

Fair enough. I assumed he meant it was a bug, not an ability. I have never seen a stun ability that does not create Resolve build. As much as I dislike excessive stuns, I cannot say that I have ever seen resolve not build on any stuns, bug or otherwise.

The ONLY resolve bug I have personally seen was hitting someone with a stun that does not have full resolve and it not effect them. Sometimes it due to a class ability, sometimes lag.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you expect people to believe, or fix the game when you can not reproduce your claim.

I saw bigfoot, and played chess with him... and then got kidnaped by aliens who made me their king for 50 years then somehow i ended back in my home with just a second has passed for the rest of the people and i did not age at all.

That's about how "you" sound when you are "opening your mouth" on the forum and expect everyone to believe you.

Prof of claim......... or ti&ts... or gtf&o. :)

I do agree that many people exaggerated claims but your demand is extreme in most cases when trying to catch a rare bug. I also agree that videos would be helpful and convicting but you honestly expect someone run a recorder the entire time they are playing in hopes to catch a bug? If that does not seem a little ridiculous to you, I suppose we no longer need to discuss this.

The only thing that annoys me about Resolve is that when your near the cap and the next stun takes you to the cap that stun will go its full duration. Stuns/cc's should stop as soon as you reach the Resolve cap not go their full duration just because they were cast just off the cap. Those seconds are a hell of a long time in PvP.

I think what annoys players is seeing their Resolve bar full and then a full duration stun going off just because it was a tiny bit off the cap when the enemy player cast the stun or cc. What I'd like to see is that when you are at the cap all CC and stuns stop working and don't run their full course just because Resolve was not full at the time of application.

In terms of PvP that would mean say a 4 second stun might only last 1 second if that stun took Resolve to full. You would perhaps then not have players ranting on here that they are getting stunned when Resolve is full. I dont think there's a bug I think this is what players are seeing - full duration stuns when Resolve is full (it just wasn't quite full at the tiem the stun or cc was cast on you).

That is actually not a bad idea. At first I was thinking, "Well that completely defeats the purpose of holding your stun release". But who cares? Let us use our stun release for when we REALLY need to get out of a stun.. like when 4 people are around us an we have to get away.

Added it to my suggestion list. :)

Good call mate!

Edited by Raific

The only thing that annoys me about Resolve is that when your near the cap and the next stun takes you to the cap that stun will go its full duration. Stuns/cc's should stop as soon as you reach the Resolve cap not go their full duration just because they were cast just off the cap. Those seconds are a hell of a long time in PvP.

I think what annoys players is seeing their Resolve bar full and then a full duration stun going off just because it was a tiny bit off the cap when the enemy player cast the stun or cc. What I'd like to see is that when you are at the cap all CC and stuns stop working and don't run their full course just because Resolve was not full at the time of application.

In terms of PvP that would mean say a 4 second stun might only last 1 second if that stun took Resolve to full. You would perhaps then not have players ranting on here that they are getting stunned when Resolve is full. I dont think there's a bug I think this is what players are seeing - full duration stuns when Resolve is full (it just wasn't quite full at the tiem the stun or cc was cast on you).

You'd have to raise the Resolve cap from 1000 points to 2000, or halve the amount of Resolve each affect adds in order to make that system work.

I do agree that many people exaggerated claims but your demand is extreme in most cases when trying to catch a rare bug. I also agree that videos would be helpful and convicting but you honestly expect someone run a recorder the entire time they are playing in hopes to catch a bug? If that does not seem a little ridiculous to you, I suppose we no longer need to discuss this.

There are plenty of people who stream their gameplay. The stream is recorded on 3rd party hard drive, service provided by the stream site. Yet not one of these people have posted what most people are claiming.

If ppl are talking about incapacitate effects, ocasionally bug and not breaking on damage, it happens because the game engine is **** and locks up when it tries to do multiple animations @ the same time.

If you are talking about resolve not working properly, i want to inform you that it is working as intended, and snare/roots are intentionally left outside the resolve mechanic since the meta game of kiting design is based on it.

Of course, that would mean you can be stunned only once per 20 seconds (second stun fills resolve and breaks on its own). So, why have any resolve? Lets all get CC immunity for 20 seconds (or make it half an hour to be sure) after being affected by any CC. Then we can call this game dps vs hps instead of SW TOR and everyone will be happy!!!! Of course huttball will be unplayable, but who cares, you wont be CCed anymore!

PS. You cannot do such changes without massive redesign of all combat system and most classes. Do some research about resolve then you will probably understand I am right on this.

Resolve is working fine... what is not working is the fact that roots does not count as cc so they don't contribute to fill the resolve bar... You can have full resolve and still be rooted, and sadly this means dead with the TTK that its on right now...

Every stun, root, snare and all types of cc should contribute to fill the resolve bar and should not work when it is full.

You'd have to raise the Resolve cap from 1000 points to 2000, or halve the amount of Resolve each affect adds in order to make that system work.

That would completely invalidate this idea. The idea it to reduce Stuns, not give the ability to add an additional possible Stun to a stun lock chain.

I do agree that upping it might not be a bad idea but not double! This would put pressure on the Stun Happy people also. It would force them to "think" before trying to stun lock someone. They might actually end up releasing them! Ideally, this makes my smile. But, with the lag the way it is, I do not see this working, practically.

Resolve is working fine... what is not working is the fact that roots does not count as cc so they don't contribute to fill the resolve bar... You can have full resolve and still be rooted, and sadly this means dead with the TTK that its on right now...

Every stun, root, snare and all types of cc should contribute to fill the resolve bar and should not work when it is full.

I believe you are looking at that too narrowly. I know it seems like a no-brainer fix but if you add that to the Resolve bar you could end up detrimentally effecting the classes that need to use that to kite or get away. That would essentially change an entire class design. I believe that would be a very bad idea and end up upsetting a ton of people.

That would completely invalidate this idea. The idea it to reduce Stuns, not give the ability to add an additional possible Stun to a stun lock chain.

I do agree that upping it might not be a bad idea but not double! This would put pressure on the Stun Happy people also. It would force them to "think" before trying to stun lock someone. They might actually end up releasing them! Ideally, this makes my smile. But, with the lag the way it is, I do not see this working, practically.

If you hand out free CC immunity too often, CCs become pointless and PvP becomes a DPS race (more so than it already is post 1.2).

I really do think that the best option is to refresh the CC Break on player death. Also they need to fix the horrendous TTK which would solve a lot of the current complaints (after all, being CCed multiple times isn't so bad if you actually get to live between or after them).

So, because there's this village idiot who does not know how to poo at the right spot, we're supposed to penalize all the villagers who knows where to poop and how to wipe their rear?

Instead of suggesting the people using stun "think" about something, how about the people who whine about stun "think" about how to not suffer so much from it, like the rest of us who have no problems, are currently capable of?

Edited by kweassa

If you hand out free CC immunity too often, CCs become pointless and PvP becomes a DPS race (more so than it already is post 1.2).

I really do think that the best option is to refresh the CC Break on player death. Also they need to fix the horrendous TTK which would solve a lot of the current complaints (after all, being CCed multiple times isn't so bad if you actually get to live between or after them).

This I 100% agree with. TTK needs to be fixed and overkill of CC immunity would be just as bad as too much CC.

Edited by Raific

Some classes have skills that make them immune to cc or movement imparing effects for short periods of time.

This is one of the things that is broken about resolve. IE, if the person is immune, then they should show a full resolve bar for that period of time.

Also, resolve is not implemented equitably across classes and factions and is also affected by connectivity and exploitable / hackable.

A better system is to make all toons CC immune for a certain amount of time after a CC is used on that toon. This is the same system used in SWG and it worked well.

So, because there's this village idiot who does not know how to poo at the right spot, we're supposed to penalize all the villagers who knows where to poop and how to wipe their rear?

Instead of suggesting the people using stun "think" about something, how about the people who whine about stun "think" about how to not suffer so much from it, like the rest of us who have no problems, are currently capable of?

The fact that there is Thread after Thread of unhappy people and a steady decline in PvP players shows that this IS a serious issue. Even BW has mentioned this. Is your goal to have only the few of you that understand and appreciate the system the way it is, playing PvP?

This "rest of us" you speak of is a very small minority. As no one can say that you are completely wrong, you are certainly not completely right. As soon as you come to terms that there needs to be some kind of adjustment, the sooner all these discussions will make more sense to you.

Edited by Raific

There are plenty of people who stream their gameplay. The stream is recorded on 3rd party hard drive, service provided by the stream site. Yet not one of these people have posted what most people are claiming.

If ppl are talking about incapacitate effects, ocasionally bug and not breaking on damage, it happens because the game engine is **** and locks up when it tries to do multiple animations @ the same time.

If you are talking about resolve not working properly, i want to inform you that it is working as intended, and snare/roots are intentionally left outside the resolve mechanic since the meta game of kiting design is based on it.

Unless you are a developer or can provide a link where a developer says this, you are making an assumption. All forms of CC should affect resolve, period. According to dev statements made at the Guild Summit, Snares and Roots were supposed to be added to the resolve system. In SWG all forms of CCs were part of their "immune" system and it did not affect combat negatively.

Unless you are a developer or can provide a link where a developer says this, you are making an assumption. All forms of CC should affect resolve, period. According to dev statements made at the Guild Summit, Snares and Roots were supposed to be added to the resolve system. In SWG all forms of CCs were part of their "immune" system and it did not affect combat negatively.

Look at my sig and be elinghted (I am speaking about link to dev inteview, not quote below;))

I believe you are looking at that too narrowly. I know it seems like a no-brainer fix but if you add that to the Resolve bar you could end up detrimentally effecting the classes that need to use that to kite or get away. That would essentially change an entire class design. I believe that would be a very bad idea and end up upsetting a ton of people.

But is very frustrating that you carefully save your CC breaker skill and when you finally use it, and have full resolve you get rooted and kill because there was nothing you could have done to prevent that...

Look at my sig and be elinghted (I am speaking about link to dev inteview, not quote below;))

Not what was said at Guild Summit and was stated their that Snares and Roots would be added to the reslove system.

More BW fail.

But is very frustrating that you carefully save your CC breaker skill and when you finally use it, and have full resolve you get rooted and kill because there was nothing you could have done to prevent that...

As I do completely understand this frustration, I think you are missing something. And I mean no offense by that. PvP is not about you living or getting top DPS. It is about winning a match. Team play. Yes, I know your reply is, how can I help if I am dead?

The answer is, if they are off killing you, they are not at the objective. It is tough to make it black and white but if you are rooted, you can still play a very important part in the PvP match in many ways.

Not what was said at Guild Summit and was stated their that Snares and Roots would be added to the reslove system.

More BW fail.

Do you have the link to that? I had not heard that but I did not read/watch it all.

This is one of the things that is broken about resolve. IE, if the person is immune, then they should show a full resolve bar for that period of time.

He's talking about skills which innately grant CC immunity for a limited time. They all have visual queues. It's not a resolve mechanic, so why should it show full resolve bar when it's got nothing to do with it?

See, comments like these show just how much they "know about PvP" when they whine about CCs and Resolve.

ie.. "Nothing"

Also, resolve is not implemented equitably across classes and factions and is also affected by connectivity and exploitable / hackable.

Resolve applies and adheres to a single standard that applies to ALL classes.

Net latency, connectivity issues cannot be rectified in any way by any one, unless you expect only the people who live around Bioware server locations are supposed to play SWTOR, and the mention of "exploits/hacks" needs hard, solid, evidence.

You're grasping for straws here, man.

A better system is to make all toons CC immune for a certain amount of time after a CC is used on that toon. This is the same system used in SWG and it worked well.

That's what resolve is. People get immunity after two applications of a CC that lasts around 8 seconds. The fact that it require two CCs, and the fact how much resolve you get or how long immunity you get is determined by different applications of CCs and/or different timing, is basically what gives it a tactical element.

More BW fail.

When they stated they will add roots/snares to resolve? Where it was posted? Now you provide link please. You asked for link with dev statement about resolve and roots, here you go. Your turn.

That's what resolve is. People get immunity after two applications of a CC that lasts around 8 seconds. The fact that it require two CCs, and the fact how much resolve you get or how long immunity you get is determined by different applications of CCs and/or different timing, is basically what gives it a tactical element.

But you see, they dont want any tactical element. They want to mash dps buttons as long as it takes for their target to drop. Charging inot 1v4 and winning. All this stuff. Maybe someone here should play fps?

Edited by Kaarsa

But you see, they dont want any tactical element. They want to mash dps buttons as long as it takes for their target to drop. Charging inot 1v4 and winning. All this stuff. Maybe someone here should play fps?

That is a pretty ignorant and childish statement.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.