Corruption PVE Healing after 1.2: A Guide

Onager

Really informative post that I'll pass along to some of the newer sorc healers I know. I appreciate you putting some info together. I think the most important point in there is the overhealing. I used to keep everyone at 100% when I had unlimited force, but that just isn't the case anymore. It takes time to get the feel for when to use your heals since our biggest heal takes so long to cast, but we are certainly still viable in 1.2.
Thx man. Yeah, I think fixing double dipping Conveyance/Force Bending would've been enough, doing something to make Benevolence viable is the only step they can really take. IMO they should increase its crit AND surge by 60% rather than just its crit. It's still just too situational.

i don't think anyone can complain about PVP healing on sorc seeing as I hit 700k healing in WZ last night in BM gear. Same principals apply in PVP in regards to monitoring your own health and using AOE heal to your benefit in regards to consumption. We're no longer turrets that can outheal any damage with our double dipping burst, so make sure you're on the move when not casting and there shouldn't be any problems breaking 300k every match.
As long as you have a guard on you you'll see decent results. It seems like that's the main crux of the thing is to have a pocket tank.

i don't think anyone can complain about PVP healing on sorc seeing as I hit 700k healing in WZ last night in BM gear. Same principals apply in PVP in regards to monitoring your own health and using AOE heal to your benefit in regards to consumption. We're no longer turrets that can outheal any damage with our double dipping burst, so make sure you're on the move when not casting and there shouldn't be any problems breaking 300k every match.

I have those marks myself, if few people focus you, it's similar to PVE or you have good premade supporting. I'm hybrid now, is a lot better in terms of force management. Still, you have too long casts for any decent PvP premade. they'll snare, silence, interrupt, knock back you and you'll only be able to cast Ressurgence, "some" Innervate, Purge and that's it !

I have those marks myself, if few people focus you, it's similar to PVE or you have good premade supporting. I'm hybrid now, is a lot better in terms of force management. Still, you have too long casts for any decent PvP premade. they'll snare, silence, interrupt, knock back you and you'll only be able to cast Ressurgence, "some" Innervate, Purge and that's it !

I agree that our armor is still paper thin, but that's why we have the tools we do. If the other team focuses any kind of fire, we'll die pretty quickly. The patch just made it so we couldn't heal our way through a solid DPS coming at us and keep the team alive too. There is a reason that the top medal for healing is at 300k, I don't think the devs wanted us doing 700k regularly, but I have been hitting 500k in pretty much every match that isn't ridiculously short and going over 600k when my tank is with me. Don't even get me started on CC though, I think the game allows for too much CC to be done (and our class has some of the most cc available). I'm essentially dead if an operative sneaks up behind me when I'm alone, even if my CC break is available.

I agree that our armor is still paper thin, but that's why we have the tools we do. If the other team focuses any kind of fire, we'll die pretty quickly. The patch just made it so we couldn't heal our way through a solid DPS coming at us and keep the team alive too. There is a reason that the top medal for healing is at 300k, I don't think the devs wanted us doing 700k regularly, but I have been hitting 500k in pretty much every match that isn't ridiculously short and going over 600k when my tank is with me. Don't even get me started on CC though, I think the game allows for too much CC to be done (and our class has some of the most cc available). I'm essentially dead if an operative sneaks up behind me when I'm alone, even if my CC break is available.

I personally think they should put roots and snares on a second resolve bar and call it something like Tenacity or something. Have it fill up separately and affect only roots and snares. At least that way actual resolve is unchanged and stuff like the Human Centipede force leap maneuver gets addressed.

I have both a Merc and Sorc healer and can say this guide was incredibly informative in regards to sorcerer healing. While many people, mostly those who PvP, complain sorcs were nerfed it really isn't that bad, as your guide clearly shows. Merc healing is just plain unforgiving after 1.2. I generally use consumption after an innervate crit and try to keep my hp around 80% or so and I have not had any problems maintaining single target and aoe heals after 1.2. PvP is slightly more difficult due to the long cast times on the majority of our heals but Sorcerers were absolutely ridiculous in PvP before 1.2. A dps could hammer on a sorc healer all day and never kill him. I would say overall in regards to PvP the playing field is fairly even [with the exception of marauders/sentinels of course =P]. Thanks for the great work and great information!

I personally think they should put roots and snares on a second resolve bar and call it something like Tenacity or something. Have it fill up separately and affect only roots and snares. At least that way actual resolve is unchanged and stuff like the Human Centipede force leap maneuver gets addressed.

I completely agree that stuns should be on a different timeout than other CC types. It's the back to back stuns that kill me since we basically can't stand up to the power of other classes with no armor. But this is bringing the thread off topic, so to return to your original post...

I would suggest adding something in regards to UI customization. It goes without saying to put your party/ops group members in huge squares showing HP amount/% in the middle of the screen, but if you are healing and haven't added target of target to a visible place on the screen you are hurting yourself as well. Knowing who the boss is targeting will help you prioritize your healing (Bonus boss in HM BT comes to mind as a low level example). A lot of mechanics have the boss randomly attack party members regardless of threat, so ToT lets you stay a step ahead and get your force barrier in before the DPS drops to the yellow/red range. This can also be helpful if you do need to interrupt since ToT will show the cast bar of the boss (although the only way I would ever consent to doing this is with new players or if we aren't carrying classes with enough interrupts). Just something to think about adding.

I would suggest adding something in regards to UI customization. It goes without saying to put your party/ops group members in huge squares showing HP amount/% in the middle of the screen, but if you are healing and haven't added target of target to a visible place on the screen you are hurting yourself as well. Knowing who the boss is targeting will help you prioritize your healing (Bonus boss in HM BT comes to mind as a low level example). A lot of mechanics have the boss randomly attack party members regardless of threat, so ToT lets you stay a step ahead and get your force barrier in before the DPS drops to the yellow/red range. This can also be helpful if you do need to interrupt since ToT will show the cast bar of the boss (although the only way I would ever consent to doing this is with new players or if we aren't carrying classes with enough interrupts). Just something to think about adding.

You're going to have to explain how Target of Target helps in this regard. If you're healing, 99% of the time you're going to be targeting party members, and then Target of Target is just going to tell you that they're targeting... the boss.

We either need Target of Target of Target :rolleyes:, or ideally Target of Focus Target.

Finally, if you macro a key to Focus Target Modifier + your Interrupt quickslot, you can throw out interrupts very easily without changing targets.

You're going to have to explain how Target of Target helps in this regard. If you're healing, 99% of the time you're going to be targeting party members, and then Target of Target is just going to tell you that they're targeting... the boss.

We either need Target of Target of Target :rolleyes:, or ideally Target of Focus Target.

Finally, if you macro a key to Focus Target Modifier + your Interrupt quickslot, you can throw out interrupts very easily without changing targets.

I understand your point and agree that a ToT on focus target would be ideal. Working with what we have though, ToT gives you the benefit of seeing what the boss is casting when you are targeting your own team. It also gives you quick access to target the boss if you aren't facing the right direction or if there are adds around that may be preventing you from doing so. In a lot of the content, we simply have to DPS some to beat enrage timers and ToT can let you know when someone who doesn't have a ton of HP gets targeted and may require you to stop and switch to heals quickly. Just offering anything I can with the tools available to us.

I understand your point and agree that a ToT on focus target would be ideal. Working with what we have though, ToT gives you the benefit of seeing what the boss is casting when you are targeting your own team. It also gives you quick access to target the boss if you aren't facing the right direction or if there are adds around that may be preventing you from doing so. In a lot of the content, we simply have to DPS some to beat enrage timers and ToT can let you know when someone who doesn't have a ton of HP gets targeted and may require you to stop and switch to heals quickly. Just offering anything I can with the tools available to us.

Fair points.

It just makes me want my wishlist to be fulfilled even more though:

- Target of Focus Target

- Percent/numerical details on Focus Target

- Mouseover healing

- Buff/debuff filter system

:(

I have a question. FULL custom augmented items or leave 2 items at least to get set bonus? I think -1.5 sec on cooldown of innervate will make a huge difference. I do PvE only (Raids). Edited by SrTV

I have a question. FULL custom augmented items or leave 2 items at least to get set bonus? I think -1.5 sec on cooldown of innervate will make a huge difference. I do PvE only (Raids).

You want at least the gloves and boots to be tier gear, you can't get augments on those yet anyways and the 2 piece bonus is definitely the most important. I know the gloves are the worst looking piece of the entire set, but IMO you gotta suck it up.

Otherwise I advocate just taking 1 orange augmented piece (Head, chest, or legs) and having the rest be tier gear for the 4 piece bonus. For Campaign gear, this isn't a problem, just for Columni/Rakata.

• 2 weeks later...
You want at least the gloves and boots to be tier gear, you can't get augments on those yet

Otherwise I advocate just taking 1 orange augmented piece (Head, chest, or legs) and having the rest be tier gear for the 4 piece bonus

You can get augmented hands and feet- war hero crafted gear.

I would advise to keep only 2 set bonus cause willpower/power gain (54 if you change 3 pieces) is much better than +50 force. You need to control your force in both situations, and your healing benefits from willpower/power.

The other thing i dont agree with is

Stat priority is Willpower over Endurance in terms of primary stats, and Power > Crit/Surge > Alacrity on the secondaries.

DR on crit is 30% and on surge 75%.

Reaching 30% crit isnt hard with buffs. That means that in theory, one of 3 Innervate ticks will crit. Reaching 75% surge is really hard and not so usefull for healer as it is for dps. Instead of surge, stacking alacrity benefits your casting times and GCD. The lower GCD you have, more heals you can throw in. At 14% alacrity your Dark Infussion will take 2.1 sec to cast.

For relic I also advise campaign one with alacrity, you can get it for 200 daily commedations. Combine that relic with power adrenal, its really nice healing boost.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not claim to be the best or know the most about sorc healing, but I have done things a little diferent since 1.2.

First off, Dark Infusion i removed from my hotbar and took away the talent points.

corruption- all tallents BUT conspiring force, fadeout, and dark mending

also took-

lightning barier

reserves

electric induction

will of the sith

1 point in sith defence

The thing with this is, i traded all alicrity for power.

I like healing on the run, static barier and resurge are instant, inervate is my big heal and dark heal is my filler.

unbuffed stats

willpower - 1737

bonus healing - 537.3

crit - 32.69

surge - 78.13%

alicrity- 1.4 % (only cause it was on items not mods)

Like i said, not saying its the best, but works for me and have had no problems healing hm ev & kp.

I made 3 different healing build for sorc/sage i put the videos on youtube commentary i will label which video is which

Ops healing build

Solo/PvP healing build 1

Solo/pvp Build 2

Thanks, always had a couple of points I didn't know where to put.

Thanks for the guide. As a new healer (got tired of there never being any one the Sith side on my server), I have found it to be very informative and helpful overall.

I do have one problem though, and admittedly it may be due my own ignorance in being a new healer and not a criticism of your guide in any way. I definitely see where it can be smart to limit the use of Dark Heal given for about the same force cost it only does about 60% of the healing Dark Infusion does. The problem I have found in practice, especially in PVP, the lower 1 second cast time is an absolutely must in most situations. In less than 2 casts of Dark Infusion (which takes 5 seconds) I can do 3 heals of Dark Heal (which takes only 4.5 seconds) and in less time have healed the target more. Even 1 second can mean the difference between your party member dying or making it through even a 2 on 1 scenario. Who cares if I have conserved my force or used it more efficiently if my team member(s) has died and is now taken at least momentarily out of the fight?

I love the static barrier but a team can, and often times do, break through that almost as fast as you put it up again making time crucial in keeping one of your team alive.

I find I spam, and need to spam, Dark Heal a lot in PVP and have yet to be in a PVP match where I haven't been he person with the most healing (for either team). Not all matches, but most, I typically beat everyone in the amount of healing by a fairly large margin. The best was me at 323k with closest to me being at 202k. A typical split is me at around 250k with the next highest healing being between 175k to 200k.

I personally have no idea if in the "big picture" those numbers are an accurate depiction of the norm for people, I am just relaying what I have seen and experienced and Dark Heal has been invaluable to me in keeping my team members alive as in most case for PVP Dark Infusion just has way too long of a cast time.

Though I will say that PVE with decent tank (keeping Assassin "tanks" alive can be quite the chore) Dark Heal is defintiely not as important and is rather situational....like needing a quick spamming of a heal to keep a squishy tank (assassin) alive. Those guys can fall fast especially if swarmed by more than 2 NPCs!

I do have one problem though, and admittedly it may be due my own ignorance in being a new healer and not a criticism of your guide in any way.

To be blunt, your problem is nothing to do with your lack of experience in healing and everything to do with ignoring the words "PVE Healing" in the thread title.

Healing in PVE and PVP require two very different playstyles.

To be blunt, your problem is nothing to do with your lack of experience in healing and everything to do with ignoring the words "PVE Healing" in the thread title.

Healing in PVE and PVP require two very different playstyles.

Ha ha...you are correct there is the root of my problem.

Thanks for some reason I just skimmed over that and it didn't sink in.

I rolled my character at launch and decided to run corruption until I hit 50. I found leveling as a healer went much quicker and ( like many others I assume, lol) I power leveled to 50. As soon as I hit 50, I geared up talos and switched to a madnees hybrid spec.

I considered myself a decent healer, but I loved melting faces so the dps switch came very easily to me. Things have changed however, my guild has finally reached the stage of running consistent endgame content and I needed to respec to corruption.

At first I thought it was rust, I felt like a total noob. Then I realized the changes in 1.2 really effected my mechanics and priorities and I went searching for the info I needed.

THANK YOU for this terrific post! I need to do some more homework but now I know what questions I have to ask :)

I would also like to thank the other contributors for their thoughtful and complimentary replies. This thread has renewed my faith in the swtor community! Amazing how a reduction in QQ makes for a great interplay of ideas.

Off to do my proc homework, thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

New healer here. Only 3 columi pieces so far, so not much.

But I was wondering, how much Alacrity I should have ?. At this moment, I have (313) which is 9.60%. Crit and Surge are 40.7 and 73.70 respectevely. I kinda feel I'm neglecting surge/power atm....

Yes, OP stated 5% is fine, but in my guild I was told to have it around 10%. I'd appreciate more input on this.

• 2 weeks later...

It would seem that Onager has gone AWOL, as he hasn't posted anything since mid-May now. Aurojiin has just posted an updated version of his guide to the Sage forums and I think hopes to post a translation here in the Sorc forum too. It'll be good to have somebody active maintaining the guides.

X

It would seem that Onager has gone AWOL, as he hasn't posted anything since mid-May now. Aurojiin has just posted an updated version of his guide to the Sage forums and I think hopes to post a translation here in the Sorc forum too. It'll be good to have somebody active maintaining the guides.

Yeah, I just posted the Sorc copy now. I was planning to leave it until later, but ultimately I decided sleep is for the weak.