The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Mako or Torian for leveling

BloodyTracer

I was wondering what peoples opinion would be since I just got Torian and I am running Pyro PT for leveling.

I did the class quest first on taris to get the Speeders and Torian. Since he is sort of above Taris we have been blowing through everything fast enough that healing from mako hasn't been needed. I was wondering if this would change on the later planets like it did with my agent where I needed to switch to using lokin or if it would be fine like with my assassin and Ashara and ill just continue to tear through everything.

With the way Iv been playing most Gold or elites I just end up kiting with burning, so mako usually just tries to dps. Anything lower than gold seems to die VERY fast.

The only issue I see with Torian is finding damn upgrades for his staff later down the road.

Thanks

Edited by BloodyTracer

The only issue I see with Torian is finding damn upgrades for his staff later down the road.

Thanks

My torian's tech staff is now fully upgradable as of 1.2.

Just look for AIM barrels to upgrade his weapon. Yeah it doesn't make sense, but it's much better now than before.

O cool Ill have to check that out I didn't realize that, good thing my agent is armstech Ill just make 2 barrels from now on. So I was just talking to my friend he's sitting at 44 on voss and still says he's able to use Torian except for a few golds at the end of some quests.

If you want to go with a DPS companion, take gault, not torian. Gault kicks torian's backside all over the place for damage output.

This ^

I think they're closer in DPS than most people believe. Gault is a sniper and has far more burst, but Torian has sustained DPS. However, because Gault is ranged, he takes far fewer hits. Melee companions are usually bad news. On a side note, if you do open world PvP, Gault is a beast whereas Torian just gets shredded.

My only issue with gault is his constant snake salesmen personality I wish I had shot him on tatooine. Currently the advantage I see to torian is he just gets all my hand me downs. Where as gault I would have to mod gear to catch him up my server and market are dead. But yeah some range companions smoke the melee ones like agent temple she just cuts through droids "like cheese... cheese paper" (+1 if you get this). Ill probably stick with torian until I somehow catch gault up then compare the two.

If you want to go with a DPS companion, take gault, not torian. Gault kicks torian's backside all over the place for damage output.

Very much exaggerated. First of all Torian is much easier to gear since he gets all your hand-me-downs. Second, Gault's damage DOES have higher single target burst, but also long cast times. I didnt like the fact that I could have a mob with 1000hp left, and gault is trying to load a big shot. It sometimes feels his big shots are just getting wasted. Third, Torian fits more the Powertech playstyle, he helps you gather mobs in a nice cluster, and both of you are doing AOEs. Sending Torian in first, following by DOA is faster trash farming. He takes the front load of the attacks, which he can handle unlike Gault, then your DOA switches all aggro back at you. I feel there is more synergy with Torian.