Regarding server queues

StephenReid

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game, can't play it, not gonna pay for it.

^^ this

BUT.. ordered from origin so im guessing ill never be able to get a refund on 2 copies i ordered (for me and the wife)

would be a nice option to have if they fail hard.. otherwise im out 130$ for the standard digitals =(

Quote for truth. Just give us the option to server transfer our whole guild, which you guys assigned to that freaking server.

QFT!!!

Last night guildies were saying they were 900th in queue and after reading just the first page of this thread I guess we don't have it as bad over on Mind Trick. I've seen 5hrs+ wait times that some people are having! YIKES!

If we could just switch the whole guild to a server with a light load this would help you devs out.

On one hand, you do not want people to wait too long – on the other hand, you want to make sure that people have a dynamic, engaging community to play with for long after launch.

'Too long' seems to vary from player to player, and from the current queues it seems that the official definition of 'not too long' is 4 hours or more. Personally my tolerance is a lot lot lower, and as someone who wants to play for an hour after work my tolerance is around 5 minutes. After that I might as well play another game.

Worrying about "long after launch" at this point is a bit rich, because at this rate I wont be playing *at launch*. I bought the game and expect to be able to play when I want to, not when you want me to. Servers can be combined and merged after launch if the need arises. *Right now* though you have hundreds of people making very vocal complaints that you've got it very very wrong.

Either way, we have one clear objective – to make sure folks have fun.

Which you have failed at. Sure it's fun when I get to play, but sitting and looking at a queue screen for hours isn't fun. Also what isn't fun is having spent the first 3 days of EA building up a character with my pre-made guild and then finding that the server now has queues of an hour. Then being told that the way to beat the queues is to roll on a less populated server! Who made that server too populated? It sure wasn't me.

While we can’t promise that there won’t ever be queues, we can promise you that we are taking this matter seriously and constantly reviewing them to make sure that they are manageable and reasonable.

It is a shame that this just says 'constantly reviewing' and 'making sure they are manageable' as opposed to 'yes, there is a problem and the queues currently are unacceptable'.

So absolutely no news that the constant reviewing (and large amount of forum chatter) has highlighted this as a problem? Situation normal, AFU.

The following is a brief statement from Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer, Live Services:

"While we can’t promise that there won’t ever be queues, we can promise you that we are taking this matter seriously and constantly reviewing them to make sure that they are manageable and reasonable."

This is really something that requires action at this point because it isn't right and hardly feels like any action is being taken to resolve it. Taking it seriously and "reviewing" it isn't acceptable for way too many people that paid you to play a game. They aren't able to play it. If you don't take action soon, your customers will. Plain and simple Mr. Hickman. Step it up already!! :mad:

Edit: I also want to say that the quote about part art, part science, is part ********. Players that pay to play should have their product available to play. It doesn't matter if they get in to the server and have a harder time finding people to play with. It matters a hell of a lot MORE that they can't get in to play at all because that is what they are paying to do. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE, not to mention there are gladly many people that would rather play on an empty server then sit in queues and you need to allow those people to make that choice. Not decide it for them.

Edited by Chaizen

:rolleyes: what ever you do we will be somehow unhappy :) you knew we were waiting for 3 years for this game to come out, the first thing to do must have been to allow to accomodate so many peeps on your servers, and this is only prelaunch :eek: what will happen when it is launched?

you knew how many preorders there are, and thus the potential :) yes great game but if you can play.... yes you want us to have fun, we try....:mad: if it goes that way you will have crashing game everyday and we will wait for maintenance for a longer time i am afraid, and you know al of this but stillllll.....................pleease be fast :)

I work in the business software industry and like this game we do stress tests before launching a new system, then we scale the system accordingly before release, for the maximum usage periods.

They knew exactly how many people a server could hold.

They knew how many people they were letting on at a time.

Therefore there is no excuse for allowing more people to join a server than it can accomodate at maximum load.

If there were queues at all on the systems we build I'd get fired.

There is no excuse.

I was in at the launch of LOTRO, Champions and Star Trek. I have played a number of other MMO's. I have NEVER had to queue.

I don't care if Blizzard messed up and had queues, someone elses failure does not excuse theirs. if anything it should be an abject lesson on what not to do.

And this is when they know how many players they are letting in and to which server.

The answer is simple, when a server is at capacity don't let more people join it.

As have been said several times, the current situation is just ridiculous. Queues up to 10 mins with DC grace period 5 mins is so so ok on highly populater servers, anything else is just wrong. The game is well done but unless this queue crap is solved until game goes live, it's gonna be big epic fail.

I personally set my billing to 6 months subscription which I'm gonna cancel if this persists as in no bloody way I'm gonna pay 11 eur for game I can't play except weekends if I'm lucky.

Early Game Access are screwed since its virtually impossible to schedule when to play. Having a family means gametime is at a minimum. Sharing that time with a 30-60 mins wait to login just isnt what i expect as a paying customer.

Trying to get an answer from BioWare regarding this issue is proving as diffucult as logging into this game. An email to "customer service" only results in a standard mail form with an answer that has absolutely nothing to do with the questions asked.

Im not even sure that support can read and even understand english.

Not acceptable at all!:mad::mad::mad:

Dont know what EU servers your looking at my friend its currently 21:10 here in the UK, there are 35 English servers alone and 5 are heavy all the rest are Full and have 1 hour estimated times attached to them....Which actually translates to about 3 hours in the real world and not BIOWARE World...????

then this is a first.. ive been watching em for days and according to the server status page, they are never under heavy .. only standard and light

Tomb of Freedon Nadd

second day in a row queued for ever

queued on friday 7.20 pm to 2340 logged in queue pos at 7.20 pm 2200+

queued on sat/day 18.10 now 2105 queue pos at 1810 2000+ pos now at 2105 605 :(

this is real bad queue times, remember thinking aion was bad but this owns aion queue times.

ps

as i said yesterday

i wont restart on another server

so if you can up the CAP level on our server please do and fast, people may well be sick of queueing but from what i have been reading people or digging there heals in and not moving so please BW act fast .

for england and st george

This is really something that requires action at this point because it isn't right and hardly feels like any action is being taken to resolve it. Taking it seriously and "reviewing" it isn't acceptable for way too many people that paid you to play a game. They aren't able to play it. If you don't take action soon, your customers will. Plain and simple Mr. Hickman. Step it up already!! :mad:

This is the first MMO I've ever had to queue up for and I am finding it ridiculous. At this rate, I doubt I will re-subscribe after the first month. I won't pay to get in line and twiddle my thumbs.

I have paid for a collector edition $148.00 and i promise you this never happened in World of Warcraft Now I cant log in after I set an hour aside to play the game I have to work!!!! This was inconsiderate and Im ticked!!!!!!!!!!! There was no notice that this would happen and Im not paying for others to play this game so resticting me is a joke and shows we need new leadership off the bat someone who is paying full price should recieve premium service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ERROR 301

Honestly this should show that Bioware needs to up the server caps and upgrade hardware to support it. I understand that its easier said then done, but from what I've read, they've had a close to a million pre-orders. If this is the queues we are getting before official launch, imagine AFTER the launch, and after christmas when everyone and their grandma gets on.

I work in the business software industry and like this game we do stress tests before launching a new system, then we scale the system accordingly before release, for the maximum usage periods.

They knew exactly how many people a server could hold.

They knew how many people they were letting on at a time.

Therefore there is no excuse for allowing more people to join a server than it can accomodate at maximum load.

If there were queues at all on the systems we build I'd get fired.

There is no excuse.

I was in at the launch of LOTRO, Champions and Star Trek. I have played a number of other MMO's. I have NEVER had to queue.

I don't care if Blizzard messed up and had queues, someone elses failure does not excuse theirs. if anything it should be an abject lesson on what not to do.

And this is when they know how many players they are letting in and to which server.

The answer is simple, when a server is at capacity don't let more people join it.

and what if there guild is there?

Early Game Access are screwed since its virtually impossible to schedule when to play. Having a family means gametime is at a minimum. Sharing that time with a 30-60 mins wait to login just isnt what i expect as a paying customer.

Trying to get an answer from BioWare regarding this issue is proving as diffucult as logging into this game. An email to "customer service" only results in a standard mail form with an answer that has absolutely nothing to do with the questions asked.

Im not even sure that support can read and even understand english.

Not acceptable at all!:mad::mad::mad:

Have to love that this is right at the holidays too.. waited for my early game access for 2 days.. never got in.. in on third day.. laggy and 2 fps.. couldnt play.. now i did a few tweaks.. get 20 fps and can play (barely) and then when you dc (game just kicked me for no reason) i get a 2+ hr que.. lovely...

This is ridiculous, there are loads of servers with a 1hr+ queue and there is more getting added to that list each day-

I started on my server because I couldnt be arsed to sit in a massive queue but this evening it really has built up and now I have to wait 40 mins to get in. Very annoying.

What are your server caps on these servers? Cant be a lot considering how many servers that are full and has massive queues, sort it out.

What will happen on the 20th when it launches world wide? Dont even want to think about it. Better fix it up for when people start raiding and such because that will really kill this game.

I shouldnt compare to wow but they never had these problems.

That is false, i had 2 hours queus playing WoW, In TBC, where ppl actually liked to play it. (remenber 2500+ queues and over 2 hours of waiting)

Is it possible they have intentionally lowered the capacity for early access and will increase it on launch day?

Its pretty simple they are scaling horizonally rather than vertically. It is cheaper to run more servers than buy more expensive hardware to increase vertical scaling (more people per server). Someone with more technical knowledge would have to comment on it.

I dont feel that the server I am currently on is overpopulated at all. I hope there will be an increase in capacity per server but their comment in this article is pretty vaugue as far as what the plan is to fix these issues.

How about doing this.

1. Let us queue from the launcher

2. Have the queue spot be saved for a grace period in case we get disconnected, or we're on a shoddy wireless

3. Let us QUEUE for one server while playing on another - give us a ingame prompt/notification so we can switch server (its as simple as /camp and login, comprende)

Saturday 17.12 - 10.12PM (CET) - 1585 queue, ETA >1h40M

Edited by AlexanderB