What's a good DPS spec for PVE in raids, flashpoint and questing situations?

seektravota

Raid: Watchman/Combat

Hardmode Flashpoint: Watchman/Combat

Questing/Leveling: Watchman/Focus

(All my opinion, ofc)

I'm new to sentinel (rolling one) but I think the 3 of them have different team comp so i figure should list them in three categories, so any ideas?

Currently using: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/Sentinel#9fe6e8clc-i-200k

Works good for me, going to do a parser in a bit over the course of 10 minutes and see what I can put out.

EDIT: Here's the parse.

My current gear is:

MH

(58)Battlemaster's Striker

OH

(58)Battlemaster's Guard

Helm

(58)Rakata Weaponmaster's Headgear

Chest

(56)Columi Weaponmaster's Vest

Glove

(58)Rakata Weaponmaster's Gloves

Belt

(56)Columi Weaponmaster's Waistcord

(56)Columi Weaponmaster's Leggings

Feet

(58)Rakata Weaponmaster's Boots

Ears

(58)Rakata Weaponmaster's Device

Imp 1

(56)Columi Weaponmaster's Package

Imp 2

(58)Battlemaster Weaponmaster's Package

Wrist

(58)Rakata Weaponmaster's Bracers

Relic 1

(50)Matrix Cube M7-G0

Relic 2

(58)Dark Energy Surge

Still need that damn Rakata chest and legs. I rarely win rolls. D:

Edited by Ovan_Oh-One

watchman is the best overall spec for survivabiity, gives you lots of dots and decent burst on top of that. combat does have good burst.. focus i'd use for a laugh in pvp but thats it.. I think it does well for clearing out mobs in solo stuff but in flashpoint/raid situations when your highest dmg attack is aoe and there is things cced i wouldnt go with that t all.

Watchmen has the best utility, damage, and survivability. There is no reason to not spec watchmen, and when it boils down to it the BEST sentinels/marauders use the watchmen/annihilation trees.

Its the way it has been since beta and it continues to be that way.

Combat currently parses 300-350 DPS more than Watchman so from a pure damage point of view Combat has the edge. The burst damage it can put out is also pretty crazy and it has a the best utility out of the three specs. Combat also has the best Focus efficiency of all the trees.

That said you will want at least one Watchman in your raid due to the Zen since it does take pressure off the healers, Watchman, bring DoT based also can continue to damage during movement phases. However it lacks the burst that Combat has and because the damage is DoT based, you will end up clipping DoTs VERY often and wasting potential damage on nearly dead targets.

Focus...It's alight but Combat and Watchman are better.

Basically:

Combat = Higher overall damage, better efficiency, and better utility due to all the roots it gets.

Watchman = Higher survivability and more sustained damage on movement heavy encounters.

Focus = Because you didn't want to make a Balance Shadow.

What is your source?

Yeah i'd like to see that too. The numbers I have seen have watchman ahead not a massive 300-350 dps behind... At least over the longer encounters anyway. I could see combat being better against trash and shorter battles

Edited by threepers

Combat currently parses 300-350 DPS more than Watchman so from a pure damage point of view Combat has the edge. The burst damage it can put out is also pretty crazy and it has a the best utility out of the three specs. Combat also has the best Focus efficiency of all the trees.

That said you will want at least one Watchman in your raid due to the Zen since it does take pressure off the healers, Watchman, bring DoT based also can continue to damage during movement phases. However it lacks the burst that Combat has and because the damage is DoT based, you will end up clipping DoTs VERY often and wasting potential damage on nearly dead targets.

Focus...It's alight but Combat and Watchman are better.

Basically:

Combat = Higher overall damage, better efficiency, and better utility due to all the roots it gets.

Watchman = Higher survivability and more sustained damage on movement heavy encounters.

Focus = Because you didn't want to make a Balance Shadow.

you got it wrong Combat can't get within 300-350 DPS of watchmen.

I've been using this in ops and it's been working great for me. http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/Sentinel#9f28e8clc-2i-28

You could take the 2 points out of defensive forms and put them somewhere else but I also do some pvp in this spec so kept it there. I can't wait for dual spec so I can have my pvp spec and ops spec and switch between them.

Edited by MMOgamer