No Refund for Cancelled Subscription

MynockSushi

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always pay for 1 month at the time.

Yeah i'll have higher prices, but some months u cant play or u simple have better things to do.

Even with those higher prices u'll probably break even or in favor for paying 1 month at the time (depending how dedicated u are) :)

Yep. I typically pay month to month as well. I like to have that power of the consumer to cancel if things aren't working for me.

I bought the lifetime subscription for LOTRO. At first I thought it was a good idea, but I soon realized I had no power to influence the direction of the game. Now granted my one sub has very little power on its own, but like voting, my sub along with others speaks volumes. I essentially gave up my right to vote in LOTRO. I'll never buy another lifetime sub to a game (even though I'm still enjoying LOTRO for the most part).

They give you a discount for paying for 6 months, there wouldnt be much of a point to sub for 1 month if they would just return your money whenever you left. Next thing people want their remaining days paid back... Edited by Gokkus

About false advertising.. when was advertising ever honest?

Even McDonald's burgers look prettier on ad posters than in real life.

have you ever seen anyone prep food for product beauty shots? its gross. half the time its not cooked all the way.

It shouldn't be my fault they false advertised a game.

You have 30 days free to play and decide if you can't within that 30 days then that is your problem. Also you can cancel your subscription but you can still play for whatever amount of time is left on the time you bought. This is where reading comes in handy when it some to the EULA or TOS.

I love this thread. Posters like the OP are the only reason I read any MMO forums. Seriously. Dude bought the game, got 30 days included, decided to buy 6 more months. Somehow, it is BW's fault that he didn't notice he didn't like it (or, apparently, that is was broken and didn't function) in those 30 days.

It's like calling a car dealership after a lease and having the following conversation:

"That car that I leased 6 months ago? Well, the lease renewal came last month and I signed the papers. But now I want my money back, because the car had no engine and I haven't been able to drive it for 6 months. I didn't notice it before renewing the lease."

The other option, of course, is that the car worked and he just never noticed he never liked it in the first place. There's simply no situation in which the OP doesn't look like a fool.

It's why they have a lemon law. This game is lemon. They haven't been able to fix the problems and should buy it back. I'll take my losses on time played or as in your illustration the depreciation. I don't want them to have the rest of my money for a lemon that got far worse after 1.2 .

I love this thread. Posters like the OP are the only reason I read any MMO forums. Seriously. Dude bought the game, got 30 days included, decided to buy 6 more months. Somehow, it is BW's fault that he didn't notice he didn't like it (or, apparently, that is was broken and didn't function) in those 30 days.

It's like calling a car dealership after a lease and having the following conversation:

"That car that I leased 6 months ago? Well, the lease renewal came last month and I signed the papers. But now I want my money back, because the car had no engine and I haven't been able to drive it for 6 months. I didn't notice it before renewing the lease."

The other option, of course, is that the car worked and he just never noticed he never liked it in the first place. There's simply no situation in which the OP doesn't look like a fool.

No no its got an engine and it can be driven, it just wasn't the color he thought it was. The dealership called it cobalt blue he decided its deep blue

It's why they have a lemon law. This game is lemon. They haven't been able to fix the problems and should buy it back. I'll take my losses on time played or as in your illustration the depreciation. I don't want them to have the rest of my money for a lemon that got far worse after 1.2 .

Pick up a book an read about the lemon law, cause I don't think you have any clue.

Terms of Sale Agreement

7. Refunds for Products and Services:

Subject to the following paragraph, there are no refunds for products or services purchased on our Websites.

If you reside in the European Union and you purchase a product or service on one of our Websites, you have the right to withdraw from your purchase within fourteen calendar days, commencing on the day after the date of purchase (the "Cooling Off Period"). If you reside in countries other than Germany you will lose your right of withdrawal if you start downloading your product, or if you remove or unseal the shrink-wrap packaging from your physical product, or if the performance of our services has begun, before the end of the Cooling Off Period.

If you reside in Germany, the following applies: the Cooling Off Period does not start before you receive your purchase confirmation email, and if you purchase a physical product, not before you received the purchased physical product. If you purchase a service and expressly consent to the service commencing, you will lose your right of withdrawal once both parties' obligations are fulfilled before the end of the Cooling Off Period. If you purchased a physical product, you will lose your right of withdrawal if you remove or unseal the shrink-wrap packaging from your physical product.

Please note that if you purchase services from us, the performance of our services will begin immediately after we have sent our purchase confirmation email.

To withdraw from your purchase within the Cooling Off Period, please visit support.ea.com, log in to the Account used for your purchase and open the "Email Us" tab on the left hand side of the screen. Complete the information in the "Email Us" tab and, if possible, attach a copy of your purchase confirmation email using the "Attach Files" feature. If you withdraw from your purchase within the Cooling Off Period, we will refund the Price as soon as reasonably practicable, and in any event within 30 days after the date that you exercise your right of withdrawal.

If you reside in Germany, the following applies: If you exercise your right of withdrawal from the contract in accordance with these Terms, EA is entitled to claim compensation for the services used up until the date of withdrawal and for damages of physical products that do not result from a regular testing of the product’s features and functionality.

This Contract does not confer any rights or remedies upon any person other than the parties to this Contract. You may also have additional rights under applicable law.

Posted in the other thread on this subject as well.

It doesn't play like a fan made video? That's not false advertising, that's a fan's work. It was based off cinematics that are in fact, in the game. What they showed is what is there.

You missed your sarcasm check I'm thinking.

You have yet to even express in any reasonable and logical fashion WHY its a lemon. All you have done is wail out it's a lemon. They are thieves. It's non-functional! Oddly enough you never responded when I asked you why it's nonfunctional before. And I ask you this as someone who has multiple 50's and a myriad of other toons across the servers, that I am able to play and quite functionally level with no problem.

Yes and the lemon law is 3 days, you had 30....

I'll say here what I was trying to say in the post about the lawsuit. (I hate it when in the middle of a good post the thread gets locked.)

Sounds like you payed for an education and learned to never ever play a MMO or online game again.

I want to be the very best. Like no nerd ever was.

If only we could apply the Lemon Law to people. There's a LOT of Lemons in this thread that should refund their parents for being non-functional. Too bad about the 3 days-thing, though.

Edited by CaptRavenous

You can't cancel a 6 month subscription and get a refund for time left when you quit playing.

That is why you get a discount for longer subscription lengths.

If they gave refunds, then everyone would just opt for the longest subscription offered.

There has only been one decent analogy in this thread and that is the one with the car lease and him not thinking the color was cobalt but instead dark blue.

You are paying for a service not a product, so no burgers or soda or anything like that, you are getting access to their closed servers to play the game. They agree to let you have X amount of time because you paid for X amount of time.

Just because you dont like the way the game has changed does not change anything in your agreement with them.

Well look at it this way. You buy a coke and drank half of it, then it changed flavor on you. You paid for 6 months of a game, then all of a sudden(1.2) they made knee jerk changes and now the game is actually worse. I can see where they should give you a refund after making stupid changes.

On the other hand, if you agreed ahead of time that they could change the flavor on you at any time and that you would not be entitled to a refund if they did, you have no claim.

In the Terms of Service agreement, under Section 8, you will find the following provision:

FEES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN WHOLE OR IN PART.

Under section, 15 you find:

15. Updates to EA Services

IMPORTANT: EA MAY FIND IT NECESSARY TO UPDATE, OR RESET CERTAIN PARAMETERS TO BALANCE GAME PLAY AND USAGE OF EA SERVICES. THESE UPDATES OR "RESETS" MAY CAUSE YOU SETBACKS WITHIN THE RELEVANT GAME WORLD AND MAY AFFECT CHARACTERS, GAMES, GROUPS OR OTHER ENTITLEMENTS UNDER YOUR CONTROL. EA RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MAKE THESE UPDATES AND IS NOT LIABLE TO YOU FOR THESE CHANGES.

In addition to section 15, there are other provisions indicating that the services are provided "as is" and that "THAT YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY DISPUTE WITH EA OR ITS LICENSORS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO EA SERVICES AND/OR EA PRODUCTS IS TO STOP USING EA SERVICES, AND TO CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT"

(Note: The CAPS are in the actual TOS -- i.e., not my emphasis.)

In order to play the game, you have to agree to these terms of service.

In Section 8, people agree that they are paying for the service in advance, and that they are not entitled to a refund in part or in whole. In Section 15 and other areas, they agree that EA has the right to make changes and that they are not liable for these changes and that the sole remedy is to stop using the product.

Together, all this means that you have no right to a refund, either in part or in whole, just because you don't like changes they may make, and the reason is contained in your quote.

You said, " they should give you a refund after making stupid changes." "Stupid" is subjective. What is a "stupid" nerf to you may be a long need fix to an overpowered class that did not go far enough to someone else. What is a long due buff to an underpowered class to you will be a "stupid" change that makes an already overpowered class god-like. Game companies cannot possibly please everyone, and it would be suicide to refund fees just because someone doesn't like a change.

The OP chose to risk paying extra months in advance to get a lower per month fee. He is getting what he paid for, access to the game for the duration of his subscription. The fact that he thinks it changed flavors on him is irrelevant as the agreement specifically stated his Coke could become a 7-Up and he was not entitled to a refund if it does.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.