Can we get some actual resolve numbers?

Subatomix

Since people are claiming for "hard data" I'll suggest the following. Please note that a video is not really hard data and I think it's ridiculous to ask for one. I'm not taking the time to rig my machine to shoot a video just because I feel an element of the game is bugged or poorly designed. So ...

How about this, for all you people who talk about proofs, logic, and maths. You should be able to provide the same things you ask for. So here's my challenge:

1. How much resolve does each CC ability in the entire game add to a target's resolve total.

2. What is the decay rate of a player's resolve?

3. When does resolve start to decay?

4. Does every class have the same resolve decay time?

5. Does resolve decay linearly for all classes?

6. Does resolve stack linearly? IE., does each new CC add a linear amount of resolve?

7. Prove that the game code isn't bugged in the following manner:

- 99% resolve on target + another additional CC on target = target stunned.

Should be easy, no?

Anyone else who says resolve IS NOT FLAWED will be directed to this thread.

Since people are claiming for "hard data" I'll suggest the following. Please note that a video is not really hard data and I think it's ridiculous to ask for one. I'm not taking the time to rig my machine to shoot a video just because I feel an element of the game is bugged or poorly designed. So ...

How about this, for all you people who talk about proofs, logic, and maths. You should be able to provide the same things you ask for. So here's my challenge:

1. How much resolve does each CC ability in the entire game add to a target's resolve total.

2. What is the decay rate of a player's resolve?

3. When does resolve start to decay?

4. Does every class have the same resolve decay time?

5. Does resolve decay linearly for all classes?

6. Does resolve stack linearly? IE., does each new CC add a linear amount of resolve?

7. Prove that the game code isn't bugged in the following manner:

- 99% resolve on target + another additional CC on target = target stunned.

Should be easy, no?

Anyone else who says resolve IS NOT FLAWED will be directed to this thread.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=390716

Here you go, thread with all the answers. But ok, I can take the test:)

1. Answers for many CC abilities in linked thread, but in general it is 200/sec for stun, 100/sec for mezz and 400 for knockback/knockdown/pull.

2. 25/sec before turning white, 100/sec after turning white

3. Before turning white - when CC ends. After turning white - immidiately

4. I tested Jugg, Shadow, Assasin, Scoundrel, Sorcerer and Vanguard - answer is yes.

5. Same as above

6. Yes and no - before turning white, it is stacking linearly. CC that is enough to fill resolve bar (ie. current resolve value + value of last CC >=1000), 50% of last CC point value is added as a bonus.

7. When my test subject had 995 resolve, hitting it with 4sec stun left him stunned with 2195 resolve points.

Here you go. All test are easy to repeat and check by yourself.

Btw, I will be grateful if anyone who has access to classes/abilities not used in my tests will post values for them - I will incorporate them into my thread. - thanks in advance:)

PS. In my thread you will find answers for more difficult questions, like "is resolve value for sorcs talented stun on whirlwind (if it is broken by damage) added when whirlwind is casted or when it is broken by damage, how much resolve this stun gives and if white resolve after being hit by whirlwind protects from being stunned?" or "what will happen if you will break such talented whirlwind with CC ability that have a damage component?".

Edited by Kaarsa

Good news! The work has already been done and linked for you in the original thread that you posted this in.

Here you go:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=390716

And that very thread discusses the bugs and flaws in the algorithm. You can have "full" or "near full" resolve and still be CC'd. Did you read the entire thread? It's a good discussion.

And that very thread discusses the bugs and flaws in the algorithm. You can have "full" or "near full" resolve and still be CC'd. Did you read the entire thread? It's a good discussion.

I believe it was determined that it is impossible to hit exactly 1000 as any amount that would have taken you to 1000 or more is multiplied by 1.5 in order to give you a longer period of CC immunity.

Near Full is not Full and therefore not a bug...

And had you read the entire thread, you would have seen that I was involved on nearly every page correcting misinformation.

I believe it was determined that it is impossible to hit exactly 1000 as any amount that would have taken you to 1000 or more is multiplied by 1.5 in order to give you a longer period of CC immunity.

Near Full is not Full and therefore not a bug...

It shows quite clearly how you can be stunned three times in a row. Call that what you will.

It shows quite clearly how you can be stunned three times in a row. Call that what you will.

First Stun = Resolve at 800 (200 per sec over 4 sec)

Second Stun = Resolve at 2000 (800 prior amount plus 800 new stun plus 400 bonus stun for exceeding 1000)

Two stuns in a row will always take you to immunity preventing a third stun.

First Stun = Resolve at 800 (200 per sec over 4 sec)

Second Stun = Resolve at 2000 (800 prior amount plus 800 new stun plus 400 bonus stun for exceeding 1000)

Two stuns in a row will always take you to immunity preventing a third stun.

Choke (600) ... 1 sec free (-100) ... Choke (600) ... 1 sec free (-100) ... Choke (600) ... 1 sec free

I wouldn't call that immunity. Also, is the decrement on resolve sec++ or ++sec? I think it's the latter as well, making the above situation even worse.

Think outside the box and you'll see this one is made of cardboard.

Edited by Subatomix

Choke (600) ... 1 sec free (-100) ... Choke (600) ... 1 sec free (-100) ... Choke (600) ... 1 sec free

I wouldn't call that immunity. Also, is the decrement on resolve sec++ or ++sec? I think it's the latter as well, making the above situation even worse.

Think outside the box and you'll see this one is made of cardboard.

Incorrect

First choke = 600 resolve

Wait one Second = 575 resolve (-25 per second)

Second Choke = 1475 resolve (575 resolve + 600 resolve + 300 bonus resolve)

Immunity after 2 chokes.

You would have to wait 9 seconds between the first 2 chokes in order to "chain" a third, which isn't really a chain now is it?, you'd also need at least two Sith Warriors to pull off this chain.

Edited by Darth_Philar

The issue isn't necessarily Resolve, it's the premise that multiple CC's on a single target are OK. With the recent damage increase and nearly 1100 Expertise I am routinely taken from 100% to dead while having zero control of my character. You can debate the numbers all you want, if the basic premise doesn't change, all that arguing is just a waste of time.

If Bioware thinks it's ok to be chain CC'd then that's what's going to continue to happen. I think it's clear that they firmly believe that locking down a player with multiple CC's until they are dead is fine.

That's just the direction this game is going. I honestly believe this is working as intended. The dps increase, the mitigation and healing decreases along with the existing Resolve mechanic results in a pvp system that features lots of deaths, big numbers and fairly straightforward tactics. It doesn't take a lot of thought or coordination, there are no real penalties for CCing the wrong targets because there really isn't a "wrong target" anymore. There is no real need to switch targets because everyone can be stunned and blown up at just about anytime during a battle. Target selection doesn't really matter because there is very little in the way of emergency healing.

People just have to realize from the start that SWTOR pvp is very basic and trying to introduce any sort of nuance or thought isn't necessary. Just spec for damage and jump in. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm sure plenty of people enjoy it. I think Bioware intended their pvp to be this way. Some of us may view this as "dumbing down" player conflict but I honestly believe the developers are happy with what they've created with regards to pvp.

The issue isn't necessarily Resolve, it's the premise that multiple CC's on a single target are OK. With the recent damage increase and nearly 1100 Expertise I am routinely taken from 100% to dead while having zero control of my character. You can debate the numbers all you want, if the basic premise doesn't change, all that arguing is just a waste of time.

If Bioware thinks it's ok to be chain CC'd then that's what's going to continue to happen. I think it's clear that they firmly believe that locking down a player with multiple CC's until they are dead is fine.

That's just the direction this game is going. I honestly believe this is working as intended. The dps increase, the mitigation and healing decreases along with the existing Resolve mechanic results in a pvp system that features lots of deaths, big numbers and fairly straightforward tactics. It doesn't take a lot of thought or coordination, there are no real penalties for CCing the wrong targets because there really isn't a "wrong target" anymore. There is no real need to switch targets because everyone can be stunned and blown up at just about anytime during a battle. Target selection doesn't really matter because there is very little in the way of emergency healing.

People just have to realize from the start that SWTOR pvp is very basic and trying to introduce any sort of nuance or thought isn't necessary. Just spec for damage and jump in. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm sure plenty of people enjoy it. I think Bioware intended their pvp to be this way. Some of us may view this as "dumbing down" player conflict but I honestly believe the developers are happy with what they've created with regards to pvp.

While 2 CCs is technically "multiple" it isn't really that bad considering you gain CC immunity once the second CC wears off/is broken. From a mathematical standpoint, Resolve is superior to any other DR system in place as it actually allows LESS CC to affect any given player since all CC is on the same DR table.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.