Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

This just in about the Sentinel!

Pyconn

ok im a noob/casual MMO player and even i beat elites with pretty half my health. i just use a stim, pop off both sabre ward, and rebuke, then of course thrown in ur dots when u have 'em available and u should be fine :rolleyes:

So basically, you're "fine," if you blow stims and medpacks, pop all your cooldowns, and hammer through your rotation. If you use everything in your arsenal plus some, you can manage to take down an elite with half your health. THAT is why the class is underpowered.

If every other class in the game has to go through a similar routine, I wouldn't take issue with this, but that simply isn't the case.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically, you're "fine," if you blow stims and medpacks, pop all your cooldowns, and hammer through your rotation. If you use everything in your arsenal plus some, you can manage to take down an elite with half your health. THAT is why the class is underpowered.

If every other class in the game has to go through a similar routine, I wouldn't take issue with this, but that simply isn't the case.

you do not need stims or med packs or anything to kill any class quest boss if you are the proper gear, proper level and use your abilities correctly. The problem is people are not interrupting, they are not gearing their companions, and they are skiping content and trying to do things while under leveled.

If you play properly you do not lose HP on an elite past level 35. Before that you shouldn't get hit if you are using the right companion properly geared.

The issue is not the class its the people, Its not imbalanced or too hard when you are just doing it wrong. You should not be able to play poorly skip content and expect not to die.

He said he's a newb. You don't need stims or anything like that. If you want to take one person's perspective and use it as gospel, I never even used a stim last time I played to 50, except maybe the few times I tried to take down a boss.

The fact of the matter is, it is the player. If I, and others, are fine on Sentinel, and you, and others are not, what is the variable? It's YOU.

Do you interrupt? Interrupt is our best skill period. Interrupt lets us CRUSH people 1v1, and control elite levels and higher in PVE. Our interrupt is 8 (6 with spec) seconds, with a 4 second lockout. This makes almost anything that relies on casting, easy kills.

I haven't been playing much, but once I get my interrupt I will post videos. Your INTERRUPT is so key. If you are not using it, you WILL die.

He said he's a newb. You don't need stims or anything like that. If you want to take one person's perspective and use it as gospel, I never even used a stim last time I played to 50, except maybe the few times I tried to take down a boss.

The fact of the matter is, it is the player. If I, and others, are fine on Sentinel, and you, and others are not, what is the variable? It's YOU.

Do you interrupt? Interrupt is our best skill period. Interrupt lets us CRUSH people 1v1, and control elite levels and higher in PVE. Our interrupt is 8 (6 with spec) seconds, with a 4 second lockout. This makes almost anything that relies on casting, easy kills.

I haven't been playing much, but once I get my interrupt I will post videos. Your INTERRUPT is so key. If you are not using it, you WILL die.

I honestly think this is the biggest reason why many people seem have such a hard time.

Interrupting always seems to be ignored by the masses.

Yes I interrupt. Doing so was practically the only way I could kill a couple bosses.

If you're fine putting in 4 times the effort for the same result as any other class, I'm sure that makes you feel better about your skillz, but if you were to play just about any other class in the game, you'd take all that skill that's allowing you simply to survive as a Sentinel, and you would dominate.

Edited by xerofive

i think what ur looking for is 'easy' mode, and if u cant find that with this class then its time for u to reroll i guess!

I honestly think this is the biggest reason why many people seem have such a hard time.

Interrupting always seems to be ignored by the masses.

It is such an important part of our arsenal. More important than anything. I would rather have that interrupt, than a range stun

Im not some uber pro, but I have to say Ive been breezing through single player, and Im currently at level 20. I solo the class quest Sith bosses, pretty hard, but did them all first go, I always farm the elites and gold elites (whatever they are called) and can take 3 silver elites of my level using the Robot, just switching aggro between it and my character, interrupting the targets abilites is usually helpful, and sure I pop my CD's, why on Earth not?

I see people saying 'I cant beat this without popping Cd's' and i dont get it tbh.

I do agree that they dont do enough damage though, while Im able to defeat these elites, when Im grouped with my friend who is trooper and I see the AOE and DPS he puts out, I sort of think 'uh oh' not looking good for PVP. But then i realise I only have a fraction of the abilities, and as it stands my GOOD DPS is dependant on building the rage bar, and then delivering burst dps to a crippled/shackled player/mob.

I think its an interesting playstyle and Im enjoying it. Could do with an auto attack though.

Besides, mellee classes have always been a challenging one in MMO's, so its never going to be very easy. Probably best to try a ranged class, if you want an easy life.

Yes I interrupt. Doing so was practically the only way I could kill a couple bosses.

If you're fine putting in 4 times the effort for the same result as any other class, I'm sure that makes you feel better about your skillz, but if you were to play just about any other class in the game, you'd take all that skill that's allowing you simply to survive as a Sentinel, and you would dominate.

I've played a BH to nearly level 40. What experience do you have to tell me otherwise? I don't "Simply survive" as a Sentinel, I would dominate Warzones, and consistently had top 3 DPS, and usually top kills.

You're the one who "simply survives" I excel. Don't assume that our level of kill is the same, when you are complaining about surviving with a class I feel that I excel at. Obviously they are not the same. If you are doing your job as a Sentinel, you should have no problem 1-50.

i think what ur looking for is 'easy' mode, and if u cant find that with this class then its time for u to reroll i guess!

That's what it comes down to. People enjoy playing the sentinel because it makes them feel better about themselves to succeed with a class so many others fail at due to bad design decisions, yet they fail to realize how much better they'd be playing if they rolled another class.

The whole, "this class isn't easy mode" mentality leads me to believe we're gonna see this AC attract of elitists. Oh wait, it already has.

Edited by xerofive

Im not some uber pro, but I have to say Ive been breezing through single player, and Im currently at level 20. I solo the class quest Sith bosses, pretty hard, but did them all first go, I always farm the elites and gold elites (whatever they are called) and can take 3 silver elites of my level using the Robot, just switching aggro between it and my character, interrupting the targets abilites is usually helpful, and sure I pop my CD's, why on Earth not?

I see people saying 'I cant beat this without popping Cd's' and i dont get it tbh.

I do agree that they dont do enough damage though, while Im able to defeat these elites, when Im grouped with my friend who is trooper and I see the AOE and DPS he puts out, I sort of think 'uh oh' not looking good for PVP. But then i realise I only have a fraction of the abilities, and as it stands my GOOD DPS is dependant on building the rage bar, and then delivering burst dps to a crippled/shackled player/mob.

I think its an interesting playstyle and Im enjoying it. Could do with an auto attack though.

Besides, mellee classes have always been a challenging one in MMO's, so its never going to be very easy. Probably best to try a ranged class, if you want an easy life.

You are indeed correct sir. Here is a screen shot of a level 50 Marauder in the final build of beta. This player, granted, is was one of the best PVPers in beta, though you are correct. WE bloom later. BHs/Trooper have great AOE damage, but such is life, they have to be good at something too. We are good at single target.

http://i43.tinypic.com/x2sydl.jpg

That's what it comes down to. People enjoy playing the sentinel because it makes them feel better about themselves to succeed with a class so many others fail at due to bad design decisions, yet they fail to realize how much better they'd be playing if they rolled another class.

The whole, "this class isn't easy mode" mentality leads me to believe we're gonna see this AC attract of elitists. Oh wait, it already has.

'elitist'? im a self proclaimed noob, AND im playing this class cuz i find it 'fun'. so what is it ur looking for? DPS, AOE's, tanking abilities, all in one?

Or…

Just hold on for a moment, There are some people who enjoy it as it is, and don’t care what others think they just don’t want people messing up there play pen.

Don’t like it.

Don’t play it.

Just stop trying to screw it up for the rest of it because it doesn’t suit you.

'elitist'? im a self proclaimed noob, AND im playing this class cuz i find it 'fun'. so what is it ur looking for? DPS, AOE's, tanking abilities, all in one?

An elitist isn't always someone who has experience in a certain game. Otherwise, no one could be as the game isn't even officially released yet.

I've already explained why you or anyone else for that matter find this class fun, and I have no more to say to you.

That said, I'm pretty sure this was a design decision by BioWare. The Jedi Guardian sucks a bit too. It's a control mechanism to prevent the game from being flooded with saber wielding jedi/sith.

Edited by xerofive

I've never had to use stims to beat anything and the only times I use medpacs is if I pull too fast and not notice that my HP is low. I don't think I've died more than 3-4 times tops while soloing and none of them were due to difficulty they were just for silly reasons like disconnecting or pulling too fast and not realizing I was at 20% HP. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.