What's the point of Thermal Detonator?

CerberusSeven

For 30 points into our PvP tree, it feels like a waste. Identical to Explosive Dart in every way to the point that they share the same CD. It'd seem like, as a PvP ability, it should be doing a root effect or elemental damage or go off faster than 3 seconds. What am I missing? Does it hit ALL enemies as opposed to just 3? Is the radius larger? Or is this all just for a little bit more damage?

It crits for like 3.5k on a single target. it is excellent for stacking burst with other abilities like rail shot and power shot. I think it's great and love the few second daily on it. Would not change it - except for more damage or less cooldown ^^

Basicly it is a single target exploding dart. Higher damage & the +30% crit bonus on skill tree, but only one target. Knockdown and panic is for PvE.

The dart will do slightly less damage to more targets. Use TD to get a 1vs1 target to around 30% health and burn him down with DoT's.

Basicly it is a single target exploding dart. Higher damage & the +30% crit bonus on skill tree, but only one target. Knockdown and panic is for PvE.

The dart will do slightly less damage to more targets. Use TD to get a 1vs1 target to around 30% health and burn him down with DoT's.

Oh ok, between hectic PvP and tooltip wording it seemed to indicate it was AoE dmg. Now it seems like even more of a waste. Why not just give us a talent to increase the dmg and/or crit dmg of our explosive dart? Every other top-tier talented PVP tree ability in the game seems to be an additional ability that impairs the enemy and/or does internal or elemental damage. Granted, agents Weakening Blast does kinetic damage but it also buffs their poison-based internal DoTs as well. Our is neither and it means we can't use one of our other insta-cast abilities after activating it. Kinda silly when you consider Explosive Dart is AoE, the ability to dole out which is one of the few remaining good spots of the Merc.

I dunno... but it ONLY crits for about 2k more than Explosive Dart :p

Heard it's nice to focus stuff in pvp and burst them down, tho it's perfectly viable to play with a 8/6/27 spec (PT Pyro that is) without Thermal Detonator.

If you're a Pyro Merc, then I must sadly say it's a must since you'll lack instants to spam. ^^

What you also have to take into account, regarding the PvP top tier talent argument especially, is that pyrotech is not PURELY a PvP tree. Just because most people do this and most people do that doesn't make it so. They have to provide the feasibility to play a pyro merc in ops for example.

i gotta be honest, i love TD in PvP...

time it just right with a RS and fusion missle....bye, bye healers.

when put into the right rotation, in PvP, it is excellent "sneaky" DPS. also, an excellent finishing move...throw and run.

in PvE, it's a handy high dmg stun. again, used in the right rotation, it is an awesome ability.