Patch Notes: Codex Entry Bug

Freeborne

From today's patch notes.

An issue that prevented players from receiving the final Codex entry for the event has been corrected. Players that previously defeated Urtagh but did not receive the Codex entry and associated title will need to defeat the boss again in order to obtain it.

This really frustrates me. As someone on the small population side of a server who worked his tail off on Sunday to get a group together and wait 2 hours for this boss to respawn in a PvP Free For All Area...it feels like really bad customer service to expect us to re-do this.

I mean, I have the other 8 Codex Entries in my log. Including the one that gives credit for killing Urtagh. Surely you can grant the title.

I shouldn't have to waste an evening trying to catch his spawn and kill him again for a title I've already earned.

An issue that prevented players from receiving the final Codex entry for the event has been corrected. Players that previously defeated Urtagh but did not receive the Codex entry and associated title will need to defeat the boss again in order to obtain it.

This really frustrates me. As someone on the small population side of a server who worked his tail off on Sunday to get a group together and wait 2 hours for this boss to respawn in a PvP Free For All Area...it feels like really bad customer service to expect us to re-do this.

I mean, I have the other 8 Codex Entries in my log. Including the one that gives credit for killing Urtagh. Surely you can grant the title.

I shouldn't have to waste an evening trying to catch his spawn and kill him again for a title I've already earned.

Might be frustrating, but its par for the course with MMOS. If there is a badge/title/deed where ya need to kill some random mob, and it is bugged, once the game fixes it, you have to kill again. They have no idea if you actually killed it or not, so they can't really go back and do it retroactivly, unless they just give to everyone, and that would cause just as much ************ from the people who really earned it. They are kinda damned if they do,damned if they don't.

Might be frustrating, but its par for the course with MMOS. If there is a badge/title/deed where ya need to kill some random mob, and it is bugged, once the game fixes it, you have to kill again. They have no idea if you actually killed it or not, so they can't really go back and do it retroactivly, unless they just give to everyone, and that would cause just as much ************ from the people who really earned it. They are kinda damned if they do,damned if they don't.

Except here they can know, as the bantha kill is it's own Codex Entry. If a player has all 8 prior codex entries, they clearly killed all 3 world bosses and did the appropriate quests, and thus should be able to be awarded the 9th entry/title.

Except here they can know, as the bantha kill is it's own Codex Entry. If a player has all 8 prior codex entries, they clearly killed all 3 world bosses and did the appropriate quests, and thus should be able to be awarded the 9th entry/title.

They can ASSUME. Unless they have constant trackers, and they can spend the manpower to datamine for every player that has all the codexes, they can't really know. And I know some people will say it doesnt matter, just award it, if they did that, there would be a group that would start yelling that they should be allowed to earn it, or be mad that others were just given the title. Ive seen this in LOTRO and COH, and it caused a serious uproar.

Precisely. They already have the codex value for the Bantha kill. They really need to add an auditing service to the codex that reviews your values for accuracy and corrects any entries that are dependent prior entries.

This isn't the first title/codex Glitch. (HM Soa Speed Run, for example) and realistically, it won't be last probably.

The smart long term solution is to implement a way to audit codex entries. Not ask paying customers to re-do it each time.

They can ASSUME. Unless they have constant trackers, and they can spend the manpower to datamine for every player that has all the codexes, they can't really know. And I know some people will say it doesnt matter, just award it, if they did that, there would be a group that would start yelling that they should be allowed to earn it, or be mad that others were just given the title. Ive seen this in LOTRO and COH, and it caused a serious uproar.

It's not an assumption. You can't get the codex entries without doing the tasks, and the entry for the Bantha is separate entry than the Title one. The bug appears to be that the 9th codex entry tracks the completion of the previous 8, and when you get all 8 it should trigger the 9th, but the 9th wasn't properly tracking the codex entry for the Bantha kill. If the player has the 8 event codex entries, then they did the required steps. It's not a big datamine or tracker issue. Obviously the game knows if you have a certain codex entry (since you don't get the same one more than once). All they'd have to do is a onetime check when you log in. If the character has all the codex entries, they obviously did the work and should be given the 9th on log in. There's no giving something to someone who didn't earn it.

What a ridiculous "fix" :(

I couldnt agree more, i have actually sent a ticket in about it, only to get an automated response, its a disgrace that a CSR cannot grant if im honest whats worse is that they couldnt code a fix that said if you had XYZ then you get A, rather then forcing you to redo whats already done

Sure the fun is in the doing but i dont play on an overpopulated Server, i got all the level 50's on Tat last night together which too took a fair amount of organising we hit all 3 world bosses pvp'ed a bit but was lucky to take down 20 man ops group for one boss with a few imps thrown in just to make the fight even spicer

Problem is do the same 20 people (as thats all that play on my server) want to re-do all that again

No likely

I couldnt agree more, i have actually sent a ticket in about it, only to get an automated response, its a disgrace that a CSR cannot grant if im honest whats worse is that they couldnt code a fix that said if you had XYZ then you get A, rather then forcing you to redo whats already done

Sure the fun is in the doing but i dont play on an overpopulated Server, i got all the level 50's on Tat last night together which too took a fair amount of organising we hit all 3 world bosses pvp'ed a bit but was lucky to take down 20 man ops group for one boss with a few imps thrown in just to make the fight even spicer

Problem is do the same 20 people (as thats all that play on my server) want to re-do all that again

No likely

Doesn't matter cause their fix didn't fix it either for the people that have 8/9 with no codex or title...

This is what I don't understand. Why do we have to kill the Bantha boss again? Why is that boss the only one that triggers the final codex entry? What if, after this patch, I killed the Bantha and then the other two bosses? Would I then have to go back and rekill the bantha boss because he's the one that triggers the final codex entry? Shouldn't killing any boss after the patch trigger the codex entry?

This is what I don't understand. Why do we have to kill the Bantha boss again? Why is that boss the only one that triggers the final codex entry? What if, after this patch, I killed the Bantha and then the other two bosses? Would I then have to go back and rekill the bantha boss because he's the one that triggers the final codex entry? Shouldn't killing any boss after the patch trigger the codex entry?

I don't think that he alone triggers the final codex entry. I think the 9th codex has a tracker built in and when you get all the previous 8, it pops up. I'm guessing that the 9th was tracking the others properly, just not the Bantha one.

I don't think that he alone triggers the final codex entry. I think the 9th codex has a tracker built in and when you get all the previous 8, it pops up. I'm guessing that the 9th was tracking the others properly, just not the Bantha one.

except it still doesn't work

The thing is, I'm not mad that it's buggy. Their Live Events team works in secret specifically so we don't have any warning about events. That means no players are testing this out on the Test Server. It's all done internally.

I can respect how that may cause unanticipated bugs.

What I don't like is when the fix requires I re-do the achievement I already worked hard to achieve.

This makes me a little annoyed since I have already killed Urtagh. They should find an easier solution that do not force us to redo it again. It is a pain in the behind to get an operation going and stressing to get the boss first before the Republic has a chance to arrive, which happened all day today.

No, there is no assumption (or, more appropriately, presumption) required. If you have 8 codex entries for the event, you have done everything needed to get the 9th and the title. Or, they casn simply check to see if you specifically have the three codex entries from the boss kils. If either condition is met, you've already earned the title. There's no reason bioware cannot fix this in a way that doesn't ask players to re-earn what should already be theirs, especially because on many servers finding the approrpiate group to do it, and finding the boss up is a problem.