Computer goes nuts when I load SWTOR...

CTFoxhound

Firstly not sure if this is the right forum but I see no technical forum. Anyway it's a simple question really. My computer is pretty quiet whenver I use it for anything, I even leave it on most of the time when I go to sleep and it's in the same room (though it goes into sleep mode after 2 hours) it still sounds the same. Whisch is pretty darn quiet.

But whenever I play this game something inside my comp starts to go crazy. Almost like it's running in overdrive. I can run other games just fine and it doesn't do this. Only this game. Then when I shut down this program it stays in overdrive mode and I need to restart my machine for it to calm down.

Does anyone know what this is or have similiar issues? It's kinda annoying, not only the loudness of my computer but I feel like it might burn something out overtime because of how hard it is working when running this...

The most likely thing to check would be the CPU fan and/or the GPU fan, and most likely it's the GPU fan. SWTOR likes to work your graphics card, so having its fan run fast and loud would not be a surprise.

You can try turning on Vertical Sync to cap the framerate and see if that helps any. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking in the Customer Service forum to see if any of the tech folks there can offer more help.

Firstly not sure if this is the right forum but I see no technical forum. Anyway it's a simple question really. My computer is pretty quiet whenver I use it for anything, I even leave it on most of the time when I go to sleep and it's in the same room (though it goes into sleep mode after 2 hours) it still sounds the same. Whisch is pretty darn quiet.

But whenever I play this game something inside my comp starts to go crazy. Almost like it's running in overdrive. I can run other games just fine and it doesn't do this. Only this game. Then when I shut down this program it stays in overdrive mode and I need to restart my machine for it to calm down.

Does anyone know what this is or have similiar issues? It's kinda annoying, not only the loudness of my computer but I feel like it might burn something out overtime because of how hard it is working when running this...

Welcome to SWTOR!

I find it does the same to both my computers, and as much as I want to continue playing this game, I can't afford to replace parts.

If you hear loud clicks/knocking you have a bad harddrive.

More then likely you are hearing fans.

RMA will be based on the actual item(s) received.

Total Qty : 1

Part# Marketing Name Serial# Symptom Prev. RMA

602-V232-070 N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC (602-V232-070) 602-V232-070B1105045777 V03

Edited by lacoffee

Just so you know, this is the 2nd card in 2 different computers I have had burn/artifact. No OCing.

Stock cooling never going about 58c.

I may have a masters in computer science but I ain't throwing money out the window.

I really belive this is not a hardware issue, it is a programming issue. First problem being the game is not large adress aware and the second problem being that it has no multiple graphics card support. I was having a shutdown issue due to heat on my primary graphics card even though my case and all the fans combined move over 700 cubic feet per minute . Yes it is noisy but it works for even programs like skyrim on max detail at 1920x1080. However SWTOR was causing the primary graphics card to reach 95 degrees celciuse even after forcing the program into sli mode through Nividia control panel. This resulted in random failsafe shutdowns of the system even after I pulled all the cards and cleaned them; as well as the powersupply and the whole system. My system specs are as follows for anyone who wants to say my system istn't good enough.

I7 quadcore 950 overclocked to 3.8ghz (watercooled) EVGA 4X classified motherboard (watercooled) 4x 120mm Fesser extreme radiator. 2 EVGA 575 HD edition video cards, 1 ECGA 9800gtx dedicated to physics, 5 WD Caviar black 500gigabyte drives in Raid 0 for programs, 120Gigabyte Gskill SSD for OS, 12 Gigs of hexa channel corsair RAM at 1600mhz.

And yes the game is still messing with me if I don't turn down the settings because it over taxes the primary video card and leaves everything else alone. I have monitored it on my second and third displays while running the game and the physx card never changes temp or usage and even when the game is forced into multiple card usage situations the secondary card will only go up about 6% in usage and temps. The game is in need of alot of work as far a programming in modern features. I hope this helps someone out while trying to sort through this vast amount of information on the forums with no search options ;) Way to go Bioware =(

Yeah I do 'quit game' and it takes like 2-3 minutes before I can do anything with my PC, can't alt-tab either.

I guess it's emptying the memory and closing processes.

Edit: I don't have this waiting time when the game crashes.

... on the forums with no search options

?? It's in the bar above, right from the title of the sub-forum (Community in this case). Still hard to find stuff but it does exist. It was shut down for a while, perhaps you hadn't noticed that it's back again.

Edited by Fei-Ke

You can try turning on Vertical Sync to cap the framerate and see if that helps any. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking in the Customer Service forum to see if any of the tech folks there can offer more help.

This ^ I had to do the same as it was causing my GPU fan to go nuts until it was capped at 60fps. Also, just because your GPU isn't showing excessive heat when it happens doesn't mean it's not not the problem, my temps weren't going over 55C but that's because of the cooler on the card being good and an aggressive fan profile being set, hence the noise.

Edited by Kabaal

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.