New PC for SWTOR

blowmedown

Looking at a new PC to run SWTOR what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110862564265

It's a rip off IMO. Not to mention, the specs they listed are incorrectly named such as "AMD Pentium".

You're better off building your own PC from parts from Newegg. Alternatively, if you have a Micro Center by you, they offer extremely good CPU/motherboard deals.

Intel's newest CPU's, Ivy Bridge, supposedly come out the last couple days of April if you want to wait.

It's a rip off IMO. Not to mention, the specs they listed are incorrectly named such as "AMD Pentium".

You're better off building your own PC from parts from Newegg. Alternatively, if you have a Micro Center by you, they offer extremely good CPU/motherboard deals.

Intel's newest CPU's, Ivy Bridge, supposedly come out the last couple days of April if you want to wait.

AMD Pentium? Ir says AMD Phenom, and it is quite a good processor....

AMD Pentium? Ir says AMD Phenom, and it is quite a good processor....

He edited it. It originally said Pentium.

I never said it wasn't a decent CPU, but for that PC, he is overcharging. For a gaming rig, assuming the limit is $200 for the CPU, the 2500K can't be beat.

If you caan, get the AMD FX-4100 Zambeezi instead. Rocket...

The problem with the FX line is that you have to take whatever number of cores it says it has and divide it by two. That will give you the number of FPU's. A processor's floating point unit is integral to gaming. That’s why an “8 core” FX-8150 loses out to a quad core 2600K. In addition, Sandy Bridge CPU’s are faster clock for clock (second generation i3/i5/i7 CPU’s).

That’s not to say don’t buy an FX CPU. It all just depends on the deal. I bought my 2500K+Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 for $290 before tax @ Micro Center, but I also got an FX-4100+bottom of the barrel Asus board for $110 before taxes.

It all depends on what you want to spend. If you are looking to spend $800+ on a complete system, there is no reason not to go for a true quad core CPU, however.

While it's not an optimal gaming CPU, that chart is DEFINITELY off assuming they are ranked within their respective tiers.

Realistically, any real quad core developed in the last 1-2 years will handle CPU duties for gaming fine. It's all about the GPU.