Rewatching Episode I, Amidala's accent.

DeutschGamer

Anyone else notice how Padme had her "normal" accent on when she was disguised as a handmaiden and then regained the Queen's lofty accent upon revealing her true status? You would figure that was her true accent and she was using her "normal" one to hide it.

However, she lost this royalty accent in the next two movies. Is this an oversight between the script and the actor, or did Lucas enjoy her first voice more and had her keep it even if it meant having a little plot hole like this.

To be honest, I never really noticed the voice changing. But anyway she wasn't Queen anymore after TPM, she became a senator and Jamillia became Queen. So I would take a guess, that the whole royalty accent thing wasn't necessary anymore. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

To be honest, I never really noticed the voice changing. But anyway she wasn't Queen anymore after TPM, she became a senator and Jamillia became Queen. So I would take a guess, that the whole royalty accent thing wasn't necessary anymore.

I know that, but you don't lose an accent because of a change in profession. If I understand correctly she was already royalty before becoming Queen, or at least part of a noble house, you would figure that would hold more true to the lofty accent the Queen used.

I know that, but you don't lose an accent because of a change in profession. If I understand correctly she was already royalty before becoming Queen, or at least part of a noble house, you would figure that would hold more true to the lofty accent the Queen used.

Yes but you said yourself, that she changed her voice when she was a handmaiden right?...So if she could do it well enough, her royalty accent may have just faded out over time the more she used the other voice to where she was just so used to it.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Yes but what reason would she have to change from one accent to the other? Especially if she was royalty beforehand and one would wager trained to hold that lofty accent from a young age. I would see that being the voice she would default to, not the other way around.

She wasn't really royalty anymore when she became a senator, I guess cause the change to further show that her character changed. That she wasn't some regular nobility, putting her past behind her so to speak and starting over with a new life as a senator. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

WTH does Kiera Knightley's voice have to do with it? She's not even in these movies.

She was one of the handmaidens in Episode 1, but her voice and accent has nothing to do with Padme's accent(s).

Edited by Fyurii

It's probably just to blend in.

I'm from London I can speak proper as in posh, common and in slang all the time or I can simply use my native german accent as I'm german.

I can sound like the real deal, it's probably changed because of the people she hanged around with as a handmaiden.

there is only one answer ...

extremly weak plot writing and plot holes everywhere

the whole decoy thing is so out of mind ...

when the princess was disguised, she was send by the decoy to

clean the droid ?!? (to meet anikin - forced and artificial plot development)

and when the decoy died in the explosion she said to the princess:

sorry for disappointing you ... ??? why, wasnt it her shop to die in

that explosion ?

dont ask any questions about the new star wars movies,

they are among the worst movies ever made

and shouldnt be subject to interpretation or any deeper

thought at all ... just be glad we have this game

and forget those mind-insulting 'flicks'

dont ask any questions about the new star wars movies,

they are among the worst movies ever made

ur so cool

Okay, back on topic. Maybe her handmaiden accent was her "normal" accent and she had to use her royalty accent when she was acting like royalty.

As terrible as those mvoies are, you pick the accent to complain about?

lol, kidding, kidding (well, not about them being terrible movies anywho)

I didn't really notice it, but then again I've only seen them once each. I think I'd have to stab something if I had to watch them again.

Yes but what reason would she have to change from one accent to the other? Especially if she was royalty beforehand and one would wager trained to hold that lofty accent from a young age. I would see that being the voice she would default to, not the other way around.

She wasn't royalty beforehand, she was elected as queen not terribly long before the film started (probably a year, maybe less).

Knightley's Queen voice as the decoy could be what prompted the alteration of Padme's voice when SHE was in the Queen role (in the early trailers, there were one or two queen lines and the voice was Portman's own, in an accent--movie's released, Queenie voice is much deeper, perhaps to better blend the decoy voices)

Anyway, I think the 'royal' accent and 'average joe' accent is partly to separate the roles, to better disguise Padme when a decoy is called for... and perhaps as an homage to Princess Leia, since Carrie Fisher had a bit of a British accent in the first film and seemed to adopt that tone when speaking with Tarkin & Vader... and with Han on occasion.

The real problem with the whole 'decoy'/disguise thing? The fact they used it in two of the Prequels, with Padme as a target in both... then abandoned the idea in Episode III where it would've worked beautifully to hide Padme's SURVIVAL post-birth when she would've been a target had either Vader or Sidious thought she survived. She could've become a handmaiden or something in the Organa household, allowing her to be a mother to Leia in secret and tying up the loose end of Leia's dialogue to Luke in Return of the Jedi, her memories of her REAL mother, without using dumb 'it was the Force!' explanations.