Sports Analogy

Wintervoid

In professional sports, the leagues strive for as balanced playing field as possible. The primary resource for teams to improve each year are draft picks. Teams that win the championship gain Fame, Pride, Rings/Trophies and a Bonus. None of these things will improve a team the next season, with the possible exception of the fame drawing better free agents to the team.

This system works towards competitive balance to keep the fans watching. If only a few teams have a chance to compete each year, it will not be long until only those teams have a sizable amount of fans to support the teams. The other teams in the league would soon fade away, and only the few elite teams would still be in the league. Eventually the league would fail due to lack of popular support.

As a fan of a team that has been at the top and the bottom throughout the years, I am aware that going through losing times is tough. The one thing that keeps many fans interested in their teams even when they are losing is Hope. Hope that you can do well enough in the draft to improve your team the next year.

That is what is wrong with the current reward system. A lack of Hope. If you are losing game after game, you have no hope of improving your character. The faction that has an advantage now will have a huge advantage in a month. The gap will continue to widen.

There are a few solutions I see.

The best solution is what BW was going to implement this patch. Rated WZs would balance the playing field so that each side would have a respectable chance of winning. As a sports analogy, you would not pit Major league teams vs Minor league or high school teams.

The next best solution would be to equalize rewards for improving your character, but give the winning teams exactly what winning teams get in real world sports; Fame and Bling. I believe that pride is the motivating factor for many PvPers. A ratings system and unique character customization can show your accomplishments without further unbalancing the factions.

From Wiki:

NFL

" Teams that did not reach the playoffs the previous season are ranked in reverse order of their records (so the team with the fewest wins is awarded the first selection). "

MLB

" Teams chose players in reverse order of the previous season's standings, with picks alternating between the National and American Leagues."

NBA

"The teams who missed the playoffs in the previous season participate in a lottery process to determine the draft order. The lottery winner would get the first selection in the draft. In the current rules, 14 non-playoff teams participate in the Draft Lottery. The lottery is weighted so that the team with the worst record has the best chance of obtaining higher draft picks. The lottery process determines the first three picks of the draft. The rest of the first-round order of picks is in reverse order of the teams' win-loss record."

NHL

"At the conclusion of the regular season, the 14 NHL teams not qualifying for the playoffs are entered in a weighted lottery to determine the initial draft picks in the first round, seeded according to regular season standing. The 30th-place team has the best chance of winning the lottery while the 29th-place team has a 18.8% chance of winning, with odds diminishing to a 0.5% chance for the 17th-place team (such that the odds of the 17th-place team picking in what would be its non-lottery order of 14th are 99.5%)."

In professional sports, the leagues strive for as balanced playing field as possible. The primary resource for teams to improve each year are draft picks. Teams that win the championship gain Fame, Pride, Rings/Trophies and a Bonus. None of these things will improve a team the next season, with the possible exception of the fame drawing better free agents to the team.

This system works towards competitive balance to keep the fans watching. If only a few teams have a chance to compete each year, it will not be long until only those teams have a sizable amount of fans to support the teams. The other teams in the league would soon fade away, and only the few elite teams would still be in the league. Eventually the league would fail due to lack of popular support.

As a fan of a team that has been at the top and the bottom throughout the years, I am aware that going through losing times is tough. The one thing that keeps many fans interested in their teams even when they are losing is Hope. Hope that you can do well enough in the draft to improve your team the next year.

That is what is wrong with the current reward system. A lack of Hope. If you are losing game after game, you have no hope of improving your character. The faction that has an advantage now will have a huge advantage in a month. The gap will continue to widen.

There are a few solutions I see.

The best solution is what BW was going to implement this patch. Rated WZs would balance the playing field so that each side would have a respectable chance of winning. As a sports analogy, you would not pit Major league teams vs Minor league or high school teams.

The next best solution would be to equalize rewards for improving your character, but give the winning teams exactly what winning teams get in real world sports; Fame and Bling. I believe that pride is the motivating factor for many PvPers. A ratings system and unique character customization can show your accomplishments without further unbalancing the factions.

From Wiki:

NFL

" Teams that did not reach the playoffs the previous season are ranked in reverse order of their records (so the team with the fewest wins is awarded the first selection). "

MLB

" Teams chose players in reverse order of the previous season's standings, with picks alternating between the National and American Leagues."

NBA

"The teams who missed the playoffs in the previous season participate in a lottery process to determine the draft order. The lottery winner would get the first selection in the draft. In the current rules, 14 non-playoff teams participate in the Draft Lottery. The lottery is weighted so that the team with the worst record has the best chance of obtaining higher draft picks. The lottery process determines the first three picks of the draft. The rest of the first-round order of picks is in reverse order of the teams' win-loss record."

NHL

"At the conclusion of the regular season, the 14 NHL teams not qualifying for the playoffs are entered in a weighted lottery to determine the initial draft picks in the first round, seeded according to regular season standing. The 30th-place team has the best chance of winning the lottery while the 29th-place team has a 18.8% chance of winning, with odds diminishing to a 0.5% chance for the 17th-place team (such that the odds of the 17th-place team picking in what would be its non-lottery order of 14th are 99.5%)."

This is so true. I just made a similar post using that analogy. We are playing a sport and pvp needs to be treated as one. We need a salary cap well whatever that would be in a mmo. .

Yeah according to the thought process of some people on the pvp forums, sports teams paychecks should be on the line if they lose.

Oh you didn't make playoffs? Welp looks like your living on the streets till next season! LoL

Brilliant thinking. People should be rewarded equally for participating, not for having the best gear, team setup, most FotM etc...

Take note of this BioWare, or else you're going to lose a lot of customers, myself included. Videogames are supposed to be fun and I can safely say the current state of PvP is anything but.

Yeah according to the thought process of some people on the pvp forums, sports teams paychecks should be on the line if they lose.

Oh you didn't make playoffs? Welp looks like your living on the streets till next season! LoL

Exactly did tom brady lose a check super bowl sunday cause he lost? Actually he made more that weekend then eli manning who won.

Exactly did tom brady lose a check super bowl sunday cause he lost? Actually he made more that weekend then eli manning who won.

likely no, b/c the bonus players get for winning the super bowl and mvp is pretty nice

but i agree with this analogy. if you do poorly, youre given a much greater opportunity to improve than those that won. theyve already proven to be good, and the point is to level the playing field, not widen the performance gap.

This is so true. I just made a similar post using that analogy. We are playing a sport and pvp needs to be treated as one. We need a salary cap well whatever that would be in a mmo. .

The salary cap is another great example of real world sports looking to balance the playing field.

One way I could think to implement it would be to have a ranking system based on past performance, and try to make groups that overall equal out. As example, if you have a premade w/ 4 2000 pt ranked players, it would pair you up w/ 4 1000 pt ranked players to fight 8 1500 pt ranked players. Of course, for the best matches, you would want 8 people all of similar ranks on each side.

I am sure there would be flaws in the system, but that is off the top of my head.

I think that Ranked WZs along w/ Cross Server WZs (to supply the population to make it feasible) would solve most of the issues. The current system would not be so bad if you could count on the majority of your games to actually be competitive.