Switching from Vanguard

Chomag

I played vanguard and am now level 18.

I dunno, I don't like having to run into close range in order to be able to do good damage. It's ranged class ffs, if I wanted a melee class I'd play a jedi, but the damage at range is far from acceptable as vanguards do most of their damage at close range.

I chose vanguard because I heard it's the best for 1v1 but the playstyle is starting to get on my nerves and I'm not part of that category of...players that roll classes they don't like, just because they're good at pvp.

Gonna try and switch to commando now. Please tell me I'm not making a mistake and vanguards are indeed much better for solo pvp than commandos.

never played a Vanguard. but i imagine the reason they would be good solo PvP is because they can tank or off-tank spec for increased survival.

Commando is heal or ranged dps.

your heals are 'ok' while dps specced but they really shine if you actually spec for them.

and imo, non-heal Commando will get more survival by trying to burn the target down instead of using weaker/slower self-heals.

the healing specs in this game can still put out good damage, so a full Combat Medic might be an option for you? i have seen some 50 streams of Combat Medics that just couldn't be killed, although this was in group PvP, and they were not also trying to kill their target.

there are also hybrid specs that might work out for you.

i think you should just spend some time making test builds with a Skill Calculator and see if you can come up with something you like.

or maybe Vanguard fleshes out at later levels and becomes the class you want?

Edited by entropyboy

i kind of read that like he was switching his choice from Vanguard.

i.e. rolling a new Trooper and going Commando this time.

the input that the OP was wondering, Vanguard vs Commando in solo PvP survival. not if he could respec to a different AC.

i never played Vanguard.

does anyone have feedback on that?

I'm in the same boat, I wouldn't mind if vanguards had slightly shorter range than Commandos like maybe 20m. But at 10m I might as well have gone melee and have gotten a cool lightsaber to wave around. But I have a big rifle, not a shotgun (hmm.. laser shotgun). I rolled a new trooper as well, going commando this time.

Vanguard is indeed a great class for PVP once you are in the 30s. Commando DPS does really well throughout it's leveling cycle...Commando heals takes some levels before they shine once again post 30.

Sounds like you are a FOTM player...maybe you should try sage dps...I hear they are good at 1 v 1 :D ...that being said you should play what YOU think will be a good pvp class not what someone else says is.

Edited by Aaoogaa

I've finished Act/Chapter 1 on my 29 Commando to get my Legacy name. Now I've rolled a Vanguard for PvP (and to go darkside) Shield Spec. I prefer the Vanguard for PvP, mainly because it has the tank tree but also having that strength in melee range is very useful.

I like the way a Commando heals, you have to actually think instead of spamming heals, drop buffs on people then heal, Combat Support Cell is brilliant. Just the UI s&$# me at the moment, so I'll return to it full time later on when improvements are made and bug fixed.

Edited by Astares

I dunno, I don't like having to run into close range in order to be able to do good damage. It's ranged class ffs,

No, the Commando is a ranged Advanced Class. The Vanguard is a mid-range Advanced Class. You've got to stop thinking of the base class (e.g., Trooper) as the definition for gameplay, and start thinking of the AC as your actual "class." This is SWTOR, not Warcraft.

if I wanted a melee class I'd play a jedi, but the damage at range is far from acceptable as vanguards do most of their damage at close range.

Nothing wrong with the AC system here. I'm sorry you're not enjoying the mid-range style of the Vanguard though.

I chose vanguard because I heard it's the best for 1v1 but the playstyle is starting to get on my nerves and I'm not part of that category of...players that roll classes they don't like, just because they're good at pvp.

You might actually be if you chose Vanguard just because you "heard it's the best for 1v1."

Gonna try and switch to commando now. Please tell me I'm not making a mistake and vanguards are indeed much better for solo pvp than commandos.

Neither's going to be good if the player behind them isn't. If you prefer a mid-ranged style with the option to tank, then yeah, Vanguard is your choice. If you're going for long-range with healing options, Commando. It's not all so cut and dry as "A takes less damage from other players than B and does more damage to other players than C."