The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SWTOR - Does it need to go Free To Play?

pcmanor

I used to think my server was dead Kaas City. Then i saw over 130 people on the fleet. to be honest it was a bit to many. To many voices to sort through. Too laggy. I was questing anyhow so I didnt have to stay there.

The legacy update actually makes my play style much better. I started as a sentinal 2 days befor its release now hes lvl 31 and he is far far better then he was in the last fazes of beta.

So no i dont want free to play. Free to play actually scares people away from playing. Heh even now that OTHER game is offering lvl 1-20 for free. Maybe just maybe it will go free to play.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This game will never be free to play (excluding a free month here & there after a fck up or a promotional). Which rarely involves paying clients but instead bringing in new blood or old subscribers back to the game if numbers dwindle.Lucas doesn't get involved with anything w/o getting his pockets lined ever so much more than they already are.I played SWG for almost 8 years it will be no different here as it was there ...make no mistake Lucas runs this show as he does anything that has the SW name tied to it.He will pull the plug before he ever lets it go free to play.

He saw a bunch of forum quit threads and jumped on the bandwagon.

/thread

Becouse you cant make a coclusion based upon your zone population indicator. Judging by the number of people in zones now and in january, population of my server dropped by 30-40%. Is it much? Dont really know, but its noticable for sure.

Just far too many servers, they don't need that many. Halve the number and the remaining would rarely drop to light use I'm guessing.

It's amazing what a proper server community can do, it's worth paying a monthly sub for that..at the moment I log onto a ghost server, it can get dull fast.

Free boredom would still be boring.

NO! This game has ony been around a few months. Give the guys a Bioware a break, most people here have come from long established MMO which are really good now. Think back to how WOW was back in its early days. Give the guys here time and support and all the problems will be sorted.

WoW back in the day ran circles around the current TOR.

lol well that's what Swtor is doing to many others right now but were all paying for it as well as suffering the migranies. T.T

So yes F2P plz!

If you dont like it no one is making you pay for it. There are tons of sub-standard F2P games out there you.

This game has its issues but at least theyre trying to fix it. And giving us people who have been putting up with it from the beginning 30 days free was pretty nice of them.

I don't see SWTOR going any time soon f2p, but I wouldn't mind it if they MT will be reasonable... even though regardless how reasonable it will be, some people have made bad experiences with f2p games in the past or heard horror stories, while they have actually no clue how convenient it can be for various player types. But the reason I like f2p games most is because I consider players as content (I can easily play with friends there and with people who don't have the money or are not sure when they find time to play next, and it could help to fill up those empty servers).

yeah I dont play lotro much anymore, when i do its on arkenstone, decent population there.

That is my server on lotro also. I agree that lotro has gone downhill since f2p...but I can't complain too much, I bought a lifetime membership so it doesn't cost me anything.

But I have to agree with the resounding no for f2p. Bioware just needs to merge low population servers (IMO), because it is never fun to play on a server when the fleet only has 10 people on it. Makes it hard to find groups.

WoW back in the day ran circles around the current TOR.

Despite the fact that i didnt like the "world" of wow i remember the gameplay was much better then tor's. I had hundred times more open world pvp playing wow to level ~35 (a month or two), then i had here from the head start. The only things BW did better is vo qests, lack of grind and gfx. The rest is crap.

I see some are quickly to jump on me for this but oh well lol

Honestly, since this is the 567th thread on F2P (together with 534 "game is dead"-threads and 750 "I quit"-threads) this week , do you honestly think anyone is interested in spending 5-15 minutes reasoning with you on the subject? Also, if you had more than one braincell you would realize that this thread most probably will be locked.

Doh... that was 15 minutes I will never get back... damn.

We'll probably get some indication each calendar quarter about the health or lack thereof of SWTOR due to the fact that it is part of a publicly traded company, and because it probably influences the financials of EA to a large degree.

I've recently found a new site called MMOdata that has taken over the reins from the old MMOGCHART.com site that Sir Bruce put together in the early 2000s or so. If you are unfamiliar with either, they attempt to divine (and detractors say just WAG) the subscription levels of MMOs based on official statements, inside info, leaks, corroborating data, ESP, etc....

It looks like their SWAG at the subscription level of SWTOR is 1.5 mil as of the beginning of March. That makes it the 3rd largest game being tracked (behind WoW and Aion, but Aion seems to be on a significant downslope, so it depends on SWTOR's slope as to whether it will stay ahead.

I've also been glancing at the played-hours metric kept over at Xfire, and while it has done a fade over time, has not shown evidence of a steep drop, so I don't have any reason to question their guess at this time. On the other hand, this metric is by no means a sure indicator, so your guess is as good as mine.

We'll probably hear something official pretty soon. It looks like their quarterly results are expected around 2-May.

NO! This game has ony been around a few months. Give the guys a Bioware a break, most people here have come from long established MMO which are really good now. Think back to how WOW was back in its early days. Give the guys here time and support and all the problems will be sorted.

I was actually on the beta test team for WoW and my account from there was from launch.

Now I can also say that I invented cheese and you'd trust me about as much in either content.

I can however say without a shadow of doubt say that WoW's launch was FAR worse. Bugs, glitch's, hacks, rollbacks.

So in my humble opinion (and please take it as such) BioWare has done a good job for a company just now jumping into the MMO waters.

As for lack of population, just wait until EA starts up it's huge massive budget on advertizing. The reason as I can fathom why they have not is due to the fact they want to wait until SWOR is a bit more stable with alot of marketable options classes raids flashpoints and the like.

EA may have a rep of bad game design, coding, and support, but lets give them credit they are great at selling a bad product to the masses with their advertizing machine. Just imagine what they will be able to do once SWOR can live upto every fans dream (which I see BioWare trying to make happen slowly but surely.).

id rather it stay sub based just because them my mum pays for it, if its f2p i have to pay... wierd, but if it does go f2p then DONT SELL POWER, NO UPGRADES! no wepons or mods or anything else that increases charictar power, anything else, do what you like.

NO

Every game I've seen that has gone F2P has gone to hell, with things necessarily for regular game play or would have been features just added normally, now becoming things you have to buy.

People need to stop hoping for F2P switches. It is a terrible, terrible model.

It maybe too early to post this, But Lack of people on servers before patch 1.2 rolled out, Problems upon more problems with this being broken and that being broken and now this whole ordeal with the servers today. As subscriber's are dropping like flies because of what is going on today and yes some people that were not happy with the 1.2 update, Has Bio ware let this game slip to far away to keep this game on a paid sub basis? Since day one I seen many things with the game and in game that made me believe they intentionally constructed the game to be a free to play game eventually. Several things come to mind that a customer would have to dish out money for to play in game.

Here is 20 things i can think of off hand for a free to play model/

1. PVP - paying for warzones, paying to basically own them while the game is alive and kicking.

2. world access - access to new worlds, which will most like be in the near future, maybe a world or two very soon.

3. mission access.

4. mounts

5. pets

6. cosmetic and social items

7. capping credit limits, pay to lift the cap

8. skills and heroic type weapons

9. special buffs and med packs

10. crew skills

11. crew missions

12. ship parts

13. ship customization

14. Ship amenities

15. extra character slots

16. extra content

17. expansions ( we are talking the real deal expansions)

18. of course paid character transfers

19. paying to unlock new crew members

20. Misc. gadgets etc. that give you a advantage

anyway i am happy with the game, but not the downtime lol.

So basically, you want this game to be completely unplayable for everyone who isn't paying out the nose.

Guild Wars 2 is looking a tad pricey for a "Free 2 play forever" game, huh?

Keep your micro-transaction based games elsewhere. I hate being nickled and dimed for every little thing.

Want access to his planet? Pay the MT fee

Want to access to that warzone? Pay the MT fee

Want access to the new OP/FP? Pay the MT fee

Want access to the new crafting schematics? Pay the MT fee

Want access to the new mounts? Pay the MT fee

Want access to the latest content we just patched in? Pay the MT fee

Want access to the new gear? Pay the MT fee

Want access to the new legacy system perks? Pay the MT fee

no, No, NO!

If I want to see charges like that I'll view my cell phone bill. :p

What problem is solved? There is no open world pvp and without it, its not mmo and if its not mmo so why monthly fee?

That's your opinion. Open world PvP does not make a game an MMO. If it did, then Call of Duty would be the most popular MMO.

The monthly fee is for the server access, server maintenance, and the additional content that we've been getting.