Win a Life-Sized Figure of Darth Malgus

AlysonBridge

Quoted from the Sideshow Collectibles website from the link titled "Darth Malgus Terms & Conditions for Giveaway/Contest Entry". See bolded section below.

Prizes: Odds of winning a prize are determined by total number of eligible entries received. Limit one prize per person, household, IP address, and/or email address. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value at Sponsor’s sole discretion, or to end a competition due to lack of participation (see below). Sideshow Collectibles will be responsible for the shipping cost of the prize to the U.S. winner. The prize will ship via palletized freight and may require the winner to be present for delivery of the item. All taxes on the value of prize, and possibly the value of the shipping costs for the prize, are the responsibility of the winner. All prizes are non-transferable, with no cash redemptions and/or substitutions except at Sponsor’s sole discretion. If the winner prefers a specific quicker shipping method, they are responsible to notify us immediately and will also be responsible to cover the additional costs if any. All taxes are the responsibility of the winner. All prizes are non-transferable, with no cash redemptions and/or substitutions except at Sponsor’s sole discretion.

Please be prepared to provide us with a payment method. If you are a current
client you can authorize us to charge your card on file.

Edited by Aubrac

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This...

Don't blame Bioware because your idiotic government where you are has laws that prevent you from taking part.

It's funny, for years NCSoft had loads of competitions for US players of City of Heroes that were only open to US citizens. When the EU players complained it was always said 'oh that's because of the different laws in different countries, can't be helped'. Years down the line and they merged the two communities and had competitions which were miraculously open to both US and EU players, all those pesky problems with different laws had sorted themselves out.

Edit: by the way, before I forget. When Bioware had their massive birthday celebrations they had a monster competition that was locked to US citizens. They said they would sort something similar for non US residents 'later in the year'. I'm still waiting.

Edited by LexiCazam
IC - quote

Words do not describe just how untimely this so-called SWTOR competition is.

It's a US only sweepstakes with hidden charges...

Wait a moment, that's describing trying to play the game at the moment isn't it??? Come on BW, please for the sake of all that is good in this first world, engage the brain and stop the PR machine for a day before doing this kind of thing.

Lol seriously? There are NO hidden charges, the terms are plainly stated on the sign up page.

You have to pay taxes on anything you win in any contest in the US, that's been the law for decades.

You also almost always have to pay shipping and handling charges, which is pretty reasonable considering they are giving you a limited edition $6000 prize you can likely profit from on ebay at some point in the future.

Contests are almost always country specific because every country has different laws on them, and frankly it's not worth a companies legal teams time to try to figure them all out. Risk vs reward doesn't add up.

Is anyone else terrified of the shipping costs? I searched their website for a zip code where they would be shipping this from and I got 91320.

Plugging that into FedEx with 159 pound package to my zip, I got the lowest price to be $800 for the absolute cheapest shipping. Overnight cost $1800.

The US postal service doesn't ship packages that big and UPS wanted me to register it as a freight shipment. So...yeah make sure you guys are thinking this through before you blindly sign up and click the box for Sure I'd love to pay the shipping on this.

Not worth entering on many levels.

1. shipping costs are just too much.

2. I have a separate email address that I use for any contests that I enter. Only a handful of places have the one I use for logging in to swtor and there is no guaranteed that this company or someone within it wouldn't do anything with it. I get no spam on my email I log into swtor and would like to keep it that way.

3. I see no reason to give a phone number, also again companies can sell this info. Also if they have my email address then they don't need a phone number unless I win, then they can contact me via email first. Even saying it will only be used to contact you is no guarantee it isn't safe as their is no way to backtrack where a company got your number.

Being a Canadian I cannot enter it but even if it were open to everyone I would still not enter it due to the reasons listed above.

Edit: Their Terms and Conditions page also does not load for me, or just times out. Either a bunch of people are spamming it, or they hope you give up and just click the box without ever reading it.

Edited by Fizbanic

Just so you all know shipping will be from $900-$2000.

Not knowing where it is being shipped from you base it off the farthest place in the US from you. Example I live on the west coast so I do shipping from the east coast using fededx and 1 skid at the 159 pound weight they stated that is the price range they quoted.

Well, judging from the actual website's shipping chart, yes they are also selling these things, the shipping cost of a 150# item is only $80.67 and seeing that the price goes up ~$5 for every 10#'s. Shipping would only be around ~$86.

I mean no offence to anyone living outside the U.S but the game and the movies were made here after all! If you were a true die hard star wars fan you would move here!

allot of the tech in SW comes from europe, take your generalization in the place the sun can't shine :mad:

Not worth entering on many levels.

1. shipping costs are just too much.

2. I have a separate email address that I use for any contests that I enter. Only a handful of places have the one I use for logging in to swtor and there is no guaranteed that this company or someone within it wouldn't do anything with it. I get no spam on my email I log into swtor and would like to keep it that way.

3. I see no reason to give a phone number, also again companies can sell this info. Also if they have my email address then they don't need a phone number unless I win, then they can contact me via email first. Even saying it will only be used to contact you is no guarantee it isn't safe as their is no way to backtrack where a company got your number.

Being a Canadian I cannot enter it but even if it were open to everyone I would still not enter it due to the reasons listed above.

WHAT A DOWNER! :eek:

allot of the tech in SW comes from europe, take your generalization in the place the sun can't shine :mad:

Just bc you cant enter don't troll! that's childish. the tech you speak of has nothing to do with this contest lol. i do agree though that a lot of great technology comes from across the great Atlantic!

I guess people don't read the entire thread and just hit "Post Reply" whenever they're sufficiently upset with what they've read so far. Look back about 2 pages and you'll see I posted a quote from the sponsor's own web page that states that they will cover the shipping costs.

My wife would kill me if I won that. She already gives me crap for the hammond b3 in the living room.

Man, I would love to put this at the end of my bed to scare the crap out of her in the morning, atleast once.

Does this come with the Sean Connery impersonator voice?

Well, judging from the actual website's shipping chart, yes they are also selling these things, the shipping cost of a 150# item is only $80.67 and seeing that the price goes up ~$5 for every 10#'s. Shipping would only be around ~$86.

You are being reasonable.

Please stop.

That kind of behaviour is discouraged in these parts.

Alodar :)

Lol what tax rate are you working with?

It would be 15% base federal and another 5% for state. If you actually make money, plan on a higher tax rate than just 20%. Taxes could go as high as $2k.

Shipping, really is the least of your concerns for winning.

Based on that, Star Wars was created by an American !! so take that and put it in your toaster and cook it up to a nice golden-brown, then put some butter and maybe some grape jelly on it and stick that on a plate and then sit down and eat it ...

Now I am hungry ...

based on that, star wars was created by an american !! So take that and put it in your toaster and cook it up to a nice golden-brown, then put some butter and maybe some grape jelly on it and stick that on a plate and then sit down and eat it ...

Now i am hungry ...

thank you so much! I agree 110%!