Does the sprint ability have any point anymore?

DataBeaver

So, everyone has sprint now, right from level 1. Why was it kept as a separate ability, rather than just removing the ability and giving everyone a permanent 35% speed boost? Is there some situation where you might want to turn sprint off? Previously, I took it off a few times when I was playing with someone that didn't have sprint yet, to match speed with them. If I want to move with greater precision (such as with some of the datacron puzzles), I use the run/walk toggle key and don't touch sprint.

Now, someone is probably going to say that roleplayers might not want to rush everywhere. I'll argue that running is still visually running, whether sprint is enabled or not. What's missing is a brisk walk; the current walk has a rather leisurely pace. Best would be if there was a continuous scale for movement speed, from zero to maximum.

So, everyone has sprint now, right from level 1. Why was it kept as a separate ability, rather than just removing the ability and giving everyone a permanent 35% speed boost? Is there some situation where you might want to turn sprint off? Previously, I took it off a few times when I was playing with someone that didn't have sprint yet, to match speed with them. If I want to move with greater precision (such as with some of the datacron puzzles), I use the run/walk toggle key and don't touch sprint.

Now, someone is probably going to say that roleplayers might not want to rush everywhere. I'll argue that running is still visually running, whether sprint is enabled or not. What's missing is a brisk walk; the current walk has a rather leisurely pace. Best would be if there was a continuous scale for movement speed, from zero to maximum.

That's a good question, I wonder how many people even know how to turn run off being that it's not on a skill button?

That's a good question, I wonder how many people even know how to turn run off being that it's not on a skill button?

It really helps to have Sprint turned off for some of the "platform jumping" for the Datacrons on Coruscant and Nar Shaddaa.

All The Best

I agree, if sprint is going to be literally base line, THAT movement speed should be the default movement speed. I'm guessing this is a "band-aid" while they code the change. At least that's the only reasonable explaination I can think of...

... or it gets turned off automatically when you get into combat.

This.

Sprint is the speed the game wants you to be able to run out of combat, the basic run speed without sprint is the combat speed the game is designed around. PVP and PVE are designed and balanced around the run speed without Sprint.

That is why it is still a seperate ability.