Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Hi Res Texture Models 1.2?

Ravonous_Curse

It's a problem with my machine that an option that supposedly just turns on higher res characters for my people is turning them on for every player and NPC in the game? Hard to belive that something with my hardware is forcing the engine to do that.

No, this is a case of USER error. There is a slider that controls how wide the range you draw hi-res textures in. If you max it out and run through a group of people on the fleet your machine will probably take a nap.

At least try to understand how the settings work before complaining.

I want to add that I have noticed several areas where the low res versions of textures were being used even on high settings prior to 1.2 that are now fixed with high res versions. like they missed a few and finally got them added. Several consular robes had this problem.

So much for the game engine not supporting hi-res textures. I wonder what else they were saying couldn't be fixed can actually be fixed.

Everything is fixable. The considerations are time, money, and resources. Take too long to fix, take too much money to fix, take too much memory/fps to fix.

I guess maybe I have noticed a small improvement, but I thought that some of the details in the armor would be crisp. Like my sorc's gloves and chest and bottom part the lines are still blurry and its all muddy looking. My BH's armor that has a camo effect to it is all blurry as well too.

Now yes, I do have atlasing turned on high and AA on low. In fact only things not on high are shadows and the grass. Not a deal breaker but is disappointing to be honest.

Shadows seem to matter as well. I get much better looking bump-mapping, even on character textures, with Shadows set to "High". And metals are shinier and have much better reflections with Shadows on High as well.

Overall, the game looks much improved over 1.15. Even environmental textures seem much crisper and more detailed, which is a pleasant surprise considering they said the hi-res textures would only affect character models. As someone mentioned above, you can really see this on Speeders (not taxis, whose textures still look like butt) traveling between waypoints.

And AA is finally working on my ATI/AMD 7970, which up until now has not (I could force it through the ATI Control Panel, but it didn't look right and screwed up text).

It's almost like playing a whole new game visually... :jawa_smile:

It's not busted. As others have said, it's under Preferences > Graphics > Character Atlasing. When this is switched to High, the textures on your models and your companions look deliciously good.

Even without anti-aliasing, I was just cycling around my trooper and Elara marveling at how great their armor and the textures looked.

Kudos to BioWare for making this work and getting it back into the game!

I am not sure if this is truly an impovement or if it was just some placebo reaction, but I could swear the textures on the Coruscant taxi this evening looked cleaner and sharper as well. Still not as crisp as the textures on my character, but still a marked improvement, not to mention the increased speed and frame rate of the game engine.

They did a great job on this patch, IMHO.

Edited by Kubernetic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.