The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

whats a good screen recorder

mohawkhidingkid

hey I dont know what a good screen recorder is because this is what I get with the one I have or I get this -->
so can you guys tell me a good screen recorder please.

Try Dxtory. I hear very good things about its quality of capture. http://dxtory.com/v2-home-en.html I use the full paid version of DXtory for capturing my screen for Live Streaming but have never set it up yet for video record (just lazy and no other reason)

OR

download MSI afterburner and use its built in recording software. I have used it and its very simple and easy on resources. http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

I used to use Fraps, but its a bit of a resource hog and i found MSI afterBurner far better since it can record using Mjpeg instead of AVI.

as a hint..try to record to a drive that the game is NOT hosted on. I have my game on "d" drive and record to a seperate 150 gig hdd i keep just for this purpose.

Edited by CrazyCanukk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I use fraps most of the time - as mentioned it is extremely simple to use and I like the ability to tell at a glance if I am recording or not.

It is resource intensive, I found once I purchased another HDD and wrote to it - using it for nothing else, my performance issues from running it vanished.

That said, I wanted a recording option where I could see overlays from StarParse (which I couldn't figure out how to do with fraps) so I tried OBS. It's free, and it's a tool I imagine more people use for streaming than recording. It is pretty far from intuitive, however I found a youtube video (search "how to record with obs" or something like that, you'll see it in the top 2 or 3) and I just did exactly what he said, and it works perfectly. The video I am referring to has a funny looking Norwegian kid in a silly hat but he's surprisingly un-annoying, and the video truly made it simple.

Only thing w/ OBS - I play in 1920x1200 and for it to record properly you have to set it to 1080 or downscale it to 720 (Unless I'm mistaken, and if so, could someone PM me on how to do not have to do this?). Other than that though, it's fine and free.

go with Nvidia Shadowplay if you have an NVidia card. up to 1080p - higher rez will scale down to 1080p

MSI Afterburner is great as well. ton of options for recording videos. I use it when I want to record @ 1440p

both afterburner and shadowplay do not use a lot of resources and give you options to adjust the output file as in size and bitrate.

Fraps eats up CPU and youll get half frame rates while recording. its poorly optimized and very limited options

bandiecam or whatever it is just seemed flakey when I used it. just didn't like it. some people love it. im not one of them

to stream, I like XSplit. lots of options and easy to use. doesn't use a lot of resources, take screen shots, record and stream. can highlight during recording and streaming. up too 1080p higher rez will downscale to 1080p

Steam can record and stream as well. just add any game to steam and it works.