Pick the Name for the No-RS build

TheOpf

NO-RS is good, it gives those who don't want a silly name the practical title, but let's those who do be able to pronounce it (or call it) Norse.

Totally.

Signature updated, unless something changes.

Edited by dardack

NO-RS is good, it gives those who don't want a silly name the practical title, but let's those who do be able to pronounce it (or call it) Norse.

I have love for Norse mythology and vikings. I accept this name.

BUT while you pronounce it "Norse", still spell it out as NO-RS or NORS.

Edited by Mapex

I have love for Norse mythology and vikings. I accept this name.

BUT while you pronounce it "Norse", still spell it out as NO-RS or NORS.

Looks like we have a winner haha. The NORS Build it is. I am going to post it in the guide.

Tibetan Candle is my vote, but it seems like I'm an hour and a half late to the party.

"Silly names" are what make Vanguards and Powertechs unique. No other class in SWTOR, to my knowledge, has adapted this witticism. Its becoming our own sub-culture to do this.

When a fellow Vanguard or Powertech asks me what spec I'm using and I say, for example, "Iron Fist," its a sign of prestige if they know exactly the spec I'm talking about. It was entertaining to hear and read the confusion of other players when my fellow Vangaurds/Powertechs talked about the "Carolina Parakeet" spec. "Silly names" for our specs is part of what makes playing our class fun! Love it.

Edited by DacRycar

Tibetan Candle is my vote, but it seems like I'm an hour and a half late to the party.

"Silly names" are what make Vanguards and Powertechs unique. No other class in SWTOR, to my knowledge, has adapted this witticism. Its becoming our own sub-culture to do this.

When a fellow Vanguard or Powertech asks me what spec I'm using and I say, for example, "Iron Fist," its a sign of prestige if they know exactly the spec I'm talking about. It was entertaining to hear and read the confusion of other players when my fellow Vangaurds/Powertechs talked about the "Carolina Parakeet" spec. "Silly names" for our specs is part of what makes playing our class fun! Love it.

I think I am going to add an E to the end of it.

NORSE = No Rail Shot Excellence

It will kind of toes the line of corny names, and sticking with the easy to understand fact of No RS Builds. The truth is even if someone asks you and you say oh I use the No RS build. They will go huh, No RS what does that mean.

It will be really confusing for Vanguards who go Wait does that Mean i am running a NOHIBE build haha!

Edited by TheOpf

It will kind of toes the line of corny names, and sticking with the easy to understand fact of No RS Builds. The truth is even if someone asks you and you say oh I use the No RS build. They will go huh, No RS what does that mean.

It will be really confusing for Vanguards who go Wait does that Mean i am running a NOHIBE build haha!

Haha! Entertaining, though most of us Troopers know what you mean when you say "Rail Shot." But it does lend to the appeal of the name "Tibetan Candle," as both mirror classes use flames and fiery discharges.

I would even dare to make a brief suggestion here to drop RB (Gut) all together and max out the RS talent. In a PVP situation, lots of DoTs and stuns are flying around. If you're going to use a RS, might as well make it count and avoid the temptation to use the high Heat ability.

Edited by DacRycar

Haha! Entertaining, though most of us Troopers know what you mean when you say "Rail Shot." But it does lend to the appeal of the name "Tibetan Candle," as both mirror classes use flames and fiery discharges.

I would even dare to make a brief suggestion here to drop RB (Gut) all together and max out the RS talent. In a PVP situation, lots of DoTs and stuns are flying around. If you're going to use a RS, might as well make it count and avoid the temptation to use the high Heat ability.

No one uses RB in the NORSE build anyways. You could conceivable do that, but RB is pretty nice when facing those stealth classes. I know stealth scan s nice, but I do tend do use RB enough where I don't mind having it. I attach it to healers who are running, and stealth guys to pop them out of it, but it's not really essential. In pvp I use it if I know I am going to be leaving the boss for a period of time.

NO Rail Shots Ever is better imho

call it the NORSEman spec, in honor of this great film

NO Rail Shots Ever is better imho

call it the NORSEman spec, in honor of this great film

Haha, Epic

Even if we wore to call it the Norseman spec, everyone would shorten it to the Norse :p. I love the movie guide I should attach it to the guide as an aside.

Considering you almost always get a crit when you use railshot + the snare on RC, I think not using it is a bad idea.

So maybe suboptimal AP spec would be a good name.

Edited by LoKiei

Considering you almost always get a crit when you use railshot + the snare on RC, I think not using it is a bad idea.

So maybe suboptimal AP spec would be a good name.

You have no idea what you're talking about. You THINK it's a bad idea to drop it but I've tested it and it's a bad idea to keep it. Your DPS is no higher when using it (2X FB = RB + RS) and once you hit low ammo you won't even be able to use either since you need PFT stacks.

You also can use those 8 points to get 9% aim, 4% damage debuff on FB targets, 10s less CD on electrocute and some damage reduction or other jazz.

I tested both builds a ton on a PvP dummy today and keeping the DoT going is a huge waste of GCDs and heat.

You have no idea what you're talking about. You THINK it's a bad idea to drop it but I've tested it and it's a bad idea to keep it. Your DPS is no higher when using it (2X FB = RB + RS) and once you hit low ammo you won't even be able to use either since you need PFT stacks.

You also can use those 8 points to get 9% aim, 4% damage debuff on FB targets, 10s less CD on electrocute and some damage reduction or other jazz.

I tested both builds a ton on a PvP dummy today and keeping the DoT going is a huge waste of GCDs and heat.

The snare is even more usefull then the crit. Combat dummy != pvp.

Edited by LoKiei

The snare is even more usefull then the crit. Combat dummy != pvp.

The snare lasts 6s the DoT lasts 15s. You already have 15% increased movespeed and HO to ignore any snares and even more movespeed. I never need a snare to stay on a target.

Spamming RB for the snare is very bad for PvP damage.

I've played both specs considerably. The snare isn't worth the 8 talent points either.

The snare lasts 6s the DoT lasts 15s. You already have 15% increased movespeed and HO to ignore any snares and even more movespeed. I never need a snare to stay on a target.

Spamming RB for the snare is very bad for PvP damage.

I've played both specs considerably. The snare isn't worth the 8 talent points either.

Actually the snare allows you to kite melee which you couldn't do pre patch.

DPS is not always whats best in PvP. losing the snare is terrible in PvP is terrible, losing the damage it does in PvE is terrible.

Parsers and targets dummys are every bit as bad as they are good. Judging damage on a non moving non fighting back target gets you an idea of POTENTIAL damage not realistic damage, on top of that they are 100% worthless for PvP because PvP is far to random to test "PvP DPS"

DPS is not always whats best in PvP. losing the snare is terrible in PvP is terrible, losing the damage it does in PvE is terrible.

While dps is not "always" the best in pvp, keyword being ALWAYS, a 30% snare for an AC that is always moving at 15% faster than most, is HARDLY a game changer.

Parsers and targets dummys are every bit as bad as they are good. Judging damage on a non moving non fighting back target gets you an idea of POTENTIAL damage not realistic damage, on top of that they are 100% worthless for PvP because PvP is far to random to test "PvP DPS"

You really have no concept of theorycrafting. It is not a surprise that hardly anyone takes you seriously when you are constantly belittling everything anyone says that is not in line with your "logic".

No one said practice dummies and parsers are a 100% actual representation of anything. It IS, however, a static snapshot to compare different specs, different rotations, different set of gear, different classes, given the "same" conditions. That's like telling chemists that testing drugs and their effects on lab animals is useless, and they should only rely on tests done on human subjects.

When I look at a parse on a practice dummy and I see my CGC contributing to 70k of my damage on a 5min fight, it doesnt mean my CGC will be doing 70k damage on a 5min boss fight. We all know that, stop assuming the entire forum community are idiots. What the parse tells me, is that 20% of my damage comes from CGC. So on a boss fight, I should expect my CGC to ALSO contribute roughly about the same percentage more or less.

Edited by Agooz