Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

My thoughts about Malavai Quinn. Spoilers.

Zeruhn

So now Quinn has a permanent infection of the Rakghoul Virus. :D

Ha! I'm not the only one who delighted in applying that!

See, Quinn harmonized with my style perfectly, so it never occurred to me that he thought of anything beyond this perfect shared purpose. Whoops.

He's a better Sith than my LS toon was.

You know what just occurred to me? - Mind you, I finished this questline two and a half months ago and I'm still picking up on new ways to be angry about what I didn't see or say.

Baras made a big deal of saying "Your debt to me is paid in full," blah blah, when you finish up Balmorra; Quinn is supposedly a free agent. (And, to be honest, I've seen more forced recruitments, so I accepted his throwing himself at me as normal from a metagame perspective.) Why go through all that when Quinn could just come on board as a fellow servant of Baras', now placed in your chain of command?

When you talk to Draahg during the attack on Vengean sequence, he says he always held back in Vengean's presence - "something Baras told me to do." Baras plays his cards close to his chest. He makes sure his deep agents play their cards close, too. Ridiculously, perhaps unnecessarily close. Draahg's note just reinforces, again, how obsessive Baras is about deep cover, in case you didn't already realize that servants placed close to Baras's close connections are untrustworthy.

I hate you, Baras, and your little dog, too.

Also just realized that when Quinn asked for reassignment he wasn't wavering between his job and his feelings. He was wavering between his job-and-feelings and the one faint flicker of decency that said maybe he didn't want to be the one to strike when the time came. That was his first and last attempt to at least stand aside, and I rolled right over it. He decided getting laid trumped that minor ethical qualm. The story progressed as planned. I hate you, Quinn, and your big mean master, too.

You know what just occurred to me? - Mind you, I finished this questline two and a half months ago and I'm still picking up on new ways to be angry about what I didn't see or say.

Baras made a big deal of saying "Your debt to me is paid in full," blah blah, when you finish up Balmorra; Quinn is supposedly a free agent. (And, to be honest, I've seen more forced recruitments, so I accepted his throwing himself at me as normal from a metagame perspective.) Why go through all that when Quinn could just come on board as a fellow servant of Baras', now placed in your chain of command?

When you talk to Draahg during the attack on Vengean sequence, he says he always held back in Vengean's presence - "something Baras told me to do." Baras plays his cards close to his chest. He makes sure his deep agents play their cards close, too. Ridiculously, perhaps unnecessarily close. Draahg's note just reinforces, again, how obsessive Baras is about deep cover, in case you didn't already realize that servants placed close to Baras's close connections are untrustworthy.

I hate you, Baras, and your little dog, too.

Also just realized that when Quinn asked for reassignment he wasn't wavering between his job and his feelings. He was wavering between his job-and-feelings and the one faint flicker of decency that said maybe he didn't want to be the one to strike when the time came. That was his first and last attempt to at least stand aside, and I rolled right over it. He decided getting laid trumped that minor ethical qualm. The story progressed as planned. I hate you, Quinn, and your big mean master, too.

I have a question about that bit in the spoiler, how's the particular conversation go if you play a male warrior? I'm assuming its different especially, its one that I don't remember seeing on youtube and my RL partner either hasn't reached it yet while I'm at home or he's past it, not sure which.

You sound like the perfect girlfriend.

If trying to kill you is ok, then cheating shouldnt be a problem either right?

Well I did mention that I found it a little

MORE disturbing - as a *Sith* - that he says he'd rather have Jaesa go w/him and Baras. I honestly felt more hurt by that than him stating he was planning on killing me.

"Yer' gonna' try to kill me? Ok - whatever... Everyone else has." :D GAH! Destroy my heart!?!!?!! You want JAESA to go with you?? lol

:sy_empire:

Sigh. Okay, so I'm the player who didn't see it coming (um, until I accidentally moused over spoiler tags in another forum.) I liked the man. I married him, if only because he did the most miserable sadface when I said I didn't think marriage was really necessary. Freaked me out that I could hurt him, so I redid the conversation to accept.

And believe me, I want to rationalize.

I'm trying to put the story together [possibly because I storyboard a lot] - and possibly because it doesn't make any sense.

I keep thinking of HAL. In 2001, why did HAL kill the crew out of no-where? He wasn't programmed to do that. He's not supposed to make mistakes. But he asks Dave if Dave is aware that *something is wrong* before he (HAL) ultimately pops his bolt. [This is explained in 2010, but in 2001, it's kinda ... odd? lol] That's not 'reading between the lines.' He does ask Dave if he thinks there's anything strange about the mission. Quinn states that he feels conflicted about superiors that could potentially be jeopardizing the Empire.

Rationalizing behavior is not quite my point, as it's a game - I think I mention that in red in my first post: basically, if your husband is trying to kill you - get the heck out. lol

Edited by Zeruhn
syntax

Thanks to the infected Quinn customization this is how i see it:

I killed Quinn following his betrayal. Then, in one final act of vindictive punishment, i dragged his corpse back to Dromund Kaas and had sorcerers resurrect him as a nearly mindless slave. He follows me around and heals me, but he is basically an undead servant with just enough of his mind intact to know that he cannot refuse anything i command.

Thanks for the customization BioWare! :D

Thanks to the infected Quinn customization this is how i see it:

I killed Quinn following his betrayal. Then, in one final act of vindictive punishment, i dragged his corpse back to Dromund Kaas and had sorcerers resurrect him as a nearly mindless slave. He follows me around and heals me, but he is basically an undead servant with just enough of his mind intact to know that he cannot refuse anything i command.

Thanks for the customization BioWare! :D

I had a similar idea (only that I intentionaly infected him with less powerful strain of the virus) but unfortunately, the RNG preferred to give me 3x Vector, 7x Mako and 2 of every republic kits.

I killed Quinn. Period. He is dead. He betrayed me and I killed him. I refuse to acknowledge the existence of a very Quinn-like figure still standing on my ships bridge. That is merely an aberration. Furthermore, any crew members who address said aberration will be punished severely.

That is all.

I had a similar idea (only that I intentionaly infected him with less powerful strain of the virus) but unfortunately, the RNG preferred to give me 3x Vector, 7x Mako and 2 of every republic kits.

Oh, I got 9 Vector, 6 Andronikos, 5 Mako, 4 Corso, and a few of the others, but box #30 got me the one thing I wanted out of this rakghoul event. Six hundred rakghoul DNA. Worth every minute and every credit.

Zombie Quinn is on my ship now, and I like to think he's in pain. The ship's droid comes out with me on missions.

Sigh. Okay, so I'm the player who didn't see it coming (um, until I accidentally moused over spoiler tags in another forum.) I liked the man. I married him, if only because he did the most miserable sadface when I said I didn't think marriage was really necessary. Freaked me out that I could hurt him, so I redid the conversation to accept.

And believe me, I want to rationalize. I want to say his pathetic maneuver was a roundabout way of committing suicide to get out of an untenable situation, that it was a backhanded way of switching sides without losing some notion of honor, that if I listen enough to the silences between words and the things that were never said and the sheer impotence of the actual attack I can find some reason, some thought process that means it was all a feint and Quinn was secretly dedicated to my character all along.

That's ********.

I know that the entire romance prior to Act 3 is built on such wisps of hope and silence. I got used to grasping at straws. But this, at the end? No. They wrote the man to shiv my character. He has demonstrated that he'll play personal politics before. He's ace with finding a sponsor who will cover his *** while he does the bloody work - believe me, he wouldn't have ganked Moff Broysc without your protection, and he'll gank you if that's what it takes to keep Baras's protection. If he can get Baras's approval, advance the Empire's goals, and get laid, that's great, but don't believe for a minute that he's going to prioritize that third part. He's Baras's creature and Baras was always meant to turn on you. That's how the Sith work.

I love Quinn, and I love how the realization in that scene flipped back to invert every, powerful emotional interaction we had. I love that I hate him this much. I hate that I loved him this much. It's great. But he's no secret hero.

I needed to kill him. The sheer magnitude of feeling, suddenly turning bad, I had to kill him. Any other outcome utterly neuters my character. If that means I tow around some generic Joe the Rent-a-Healer for the rest of the game, that's a price I'm willing to pay.

YES! YES! Give into your hatred and strike him down! oh wait... you can't. :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.