Battlemaster/Rakata Hybrid Gear Sets in 1.2

Omnistarr

Hello fellow PvP'ers! With 1.2 coming up tomorrow, I've taken it upon myself as the SWTOR PvP columnist and analyst for mmo-mechanics.com (formerly sithwarrior.com) to create a write up regarding Hybrid Gear Sets and how they'll stack up with pure PvP gear sets in 1.2 using the latest data available from the PTS. So, go have a look and see how hybrids will perform against the competition in 1.2!

mmo-mechanics.com - Starr PvP: No Room in PvP for PvE Gear in a 1.2 Galaxy

If you have any suggestions for future columns, I am always open to suggestions and if you have any questions, you can post them here or in the post at mmo-mechanics.com and I'll answer them as quickly as I can. Thanks for reading and good luck in Warzones!

Edited by Omnistarr

Awesome article! Thanks for this. Was a great read. To me the most telling statement/conclusion was this:

So, it seems that in 1.2, using a hybrid gear set against a Recruit set won’t set you back much (and may even be beneficial), but using a hybrid set against a Battlemaster set puts you at a distinct disadvantage.

Being a heavy min/maxer myself, I was wondering where the hybrids were going to shake out. You didn't give an Expertise total for the WH gear, but it appears the gap between PvE and PvP gear will be significant regardless of the WH total.

Now the gap between BM and WH gear appears to be pretty thin (slightly >1%). So it definitely looks like there is a potential for hybrid modding from PvE gear where the Stats on a mod make a good case to do so. Looks like that will be something for discovery on live.

Awesome article! Thanks for this. Was a great read. To me the most telling statement/conclusion was this:

Being a heavy min/maxer myself, I was wondering where the hybrids were going to shake out. You didn't give an Expertise total for the WH gear, but it appears the gap between PvE and PvP gear will be significant regardless of the WH total.

Now the gap between BM and WH gear appears to be pretty thin (slightly >1%). So it definitely looks like there is a potential for hybrid modding from PvE gear where the Stats on a mod make a good case to do so. Looks like that will be something for discovery on live.

You're exactly right. I think that there may be room to hybridise when concerning War Hero and equivalent PvE gear, but I didn't touch on it because, as I said in the post, the metagame is what really determines whether hybridising gear will yield any positive effect. So, it will be really difficult to say until at least the first real season of ranked Warzones. Rest assured, though, I'll look into it then as well and share my findings. :)

I am not entirely sold on Hybrid Optimization being entirely ruined.

Even now in Today's game I run 7% Expertise LESS than a full BM Geared player.

However I have more health, more overall damage with higher main stat, and a better set bonus (Note: I haven't fully looked over the full stat itemization to see if Expertise being added as just it). But I can see running 4-5% less again if the PvE gear continues to juts be statted better.

Dunno. Have to do a bunch of tests tomorrow.

I am not entirely sold on Hybrid Optimization being entirely ruined.

Even now in Today's game I run 7% Expertise LESS than a full BM Geared player.

However I have more health, more overall damage with higher main stat, and a better set bonus (Note: I haven't fully looked over the full stat itemization to see if Expertise being added as just it). But I can see running 4-5% less again if the PvE gear continues to juts be statted better.

Dunno. Have to do a bunch of tests tomorrow.

Good, I don't think that you should be completely sold on it. Believe it or not, I actually agonised over the last paragraph because I didn't want people to think that hybrid gear sets would go completely out the window. It is still possible that, for some classes and specs, a hybrid style gear set would be beneficial. But, the column is written under the pretense of generality.

Another thing to factor in will be using pve armor shell pieces, with all the BM mods in them. So you have the full BM pvp stat, but with the pve set bonus.

I also think it will take a bit of time to figure out the optimal mix and I'm wondering if this will lead to just using the armoring mod from the pve set, and then the mod and enhancement from the pvp set.

For example (going off the PTS stats, before the last change) for the BM commando chest piece (94 aim, 92 end, 100 exp, 51 acc, 48 crit). Swap out the armoring mod with the one from the rakata chest (61 aim, 44 end) and then add in a crit armor piece with the augment (18 aim, 12 end). You would gain +46 aim and +25 end, at the cost of 50 expertise.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.