can powertechs do decent dps

wfgwoou

i made a bh on the free trail a while back and after a slightly misguided train of thought looking at the skill trees i though that only powertechs had the flame thrower i know i know i should have payed more attention but thus my dilemma i want to dps not tank and was wondering if powertech ap and pyros can do comparative damage to the merc specs

"can powertechs do decent dps"

Same question as:

"are wheels round"

Powertech speced in pyrotech has the highest time to kill, marauder being right behind them. After 1.2 (tomorrow), I'm not sure anymore since the proc timer from prototype particle accelerator is set to 6 seconds as this affects my pyortech mercenary along with the power shot damage/cast nerf (as it's the worst attack merc has).

On the other hand, my shieldtech in dps gear can still kill things fast.

Edited by Sookster

the 1.2 patch brings minimum 6 seconds between railshot procs, sadly this will take away some of their burst

but yes pyro powertech can dps well, better than merc pyro tbh

Damage output will be more predictable and sustainable. Right now, in 30% of cases I can wait for proc 15+ seconds. It's ok to have 6 sec + more chances to proc. RS builds will be much better for raids in 1.2.

Edited by Aradax

Damage output will be more predictable and sustainable. Right now, in 30% of cases I can wait for proc 15+ seconds. It's ok to have 6 sec + more chances to proc. RS builds will be much better for raids in 1.2.

I disagree. In long boss fights I estimate that we will be using RS (our biggest hitter) about 20% less often. So yes it will be available on a more consistent basis but also less often. Also, our filler attack PS is getting reduced 10% and we won't be using this as much with the 6 sec CD on RS reset. Overall, we will put out less damage.

This is from a merc pyro perspective but I understand the 6 sec RS CD presents similar problems for the PT pyro.

You will wait a minimum of 3 seconds longer between rail shots with the new CD on the proc.

The proc chance isn't being increased that much, so frequently you will still be fishing for the proc.

The increase to the proc chance will not make up the difference for the cd, and PT dps will be lower.

You will wait a minimum of 3 seconds longer between rail shots with the new CD on the proc.

The proc chance isn't being increased that much, so frequently you will still be fishing for the proc.

The increase to the proc chance will not make up the difference for the cd, and PT dps will be lower.

Also, note Rail shot procs helped heat management a bit, so it adversely affects your other abilites too. The 6 seconds internal cooldown also has no visual or auditory cue whatsoever, so if a target breaks los or stuns you, you can only guess when you should rocket punch again. All in all, PPA was a key talent that did more then raw damage and it seems they just flatout nerfed the damage without considering the impact on the rest of the build.