The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

When will there be a SERVER MERGE?

gizbug

Let's clarify here: allowing people to transfer off of a low-pop server to a higher one, then shutting down the server is NOT a merge.

A merge is the buggy, convoluted process of "merging" the software, economies, loot tables, entire server environments of two server clusters into one server cluster. It's a buggy, overly complex way of just allowing people to move off the dead server and shutting it down.

This is what Rift did last year with great success. Weren't around when the server was shut down? Next time you log in, you get a window allowing you to pick a server, pick a server, click login, and voila, everything's moved and you're ingame. Simple as that. Name conflict? You get another window to enter your new name, and that's that. It's literally as fast as logging in normally to transfer to another server.

Why ask for something more complicated that will only take more time and likely result in unplayability? No, we don't need merges, that's an out-dated system.

Wait... I get it now. You're arguing semantics.

People are talking about one thing. Population consolidation. How it's done is irrelevant. Players will move. Servers will shut down.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are talking about one thing. Population consolidation. How it's done is irrelevant. Players will move. Servers will shut down.

Oh, yeah, the "semantics" argument again. :rolleyes: Don't want me to bring up the difference? Then tell people to stop nerd-raging at James Ohlen when he said NO MERGES. He was talking about old-school merges, which I've already described. People, however, think he meant transfer/shut-downs.

He didn't.

Ok, now I see you DON'T know what server merges are... Merging servers would have nothing to do with software, economies, and loot tables. It would simply be merging the player data.

Server merges would simply be player transfers without the ability to pick the server you want to go to. It also would not have to be simply combining 2 servers.

I can understand wanting the ability to choose the server you go to. It will just make it harder to get the servers more balanced.

With mergers they can group the servers so that most of the merged servers are starting with approximately the same number of players. With players choosing servers, either they constantly change what servers are available (and people get pissed because their friends moved to a server they can't) or you risk too many people going to the same server and other servers still having population issues.

It would also allow them to do things like keep guilds intact.

You are incorrect. EQ2 would like to have a word with you.

Hello everyone,

This thread has been recreated because the previous version has exceeded our post threshold of 1,000 posts. Please continue to use this thread for any discussion related to whether or not there will be Server Merges.

A reminder that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct that:

• Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules – don't respond to them!
  • Don't make spam posts like "first," "in before the lock," or "bump."
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.

For related discussions, please see the following threads:

Please also see Dallas Dickinson's reply to the April 27th Community Q&A:

Thank you for understanding.

this isn't answering the question at hand and seems to be off the topic were all talking about, please go troll else where:rolleyes:

I hope soon. Infinite Empire is a ghost town. PvP is Emp v Emp most of the time. Finding a group for end game flashpoints and operations is about useless. Not to mention the GTN is a joke.

I really like this game, but there is nobody to play with and I'm too lazy to start back all over again.

Yep. Good luck getting him to admit that though.

Yep. Good luck getting him to admit that though.

:rolleyes:

Again, don't want me to be "Captain Semantic"? Then tell people to stop raging at JO for saying NO MERGES and thinking he means transfer/shut-downs. I see it too much to let it go.

Edited by Wekeltes

Peragus mining facility is dead.

The stats over the last 60 days show the highest our server has been is at Standard level.

We are actually one of the more populated servers in europe which is unbelievable.

The fact that Bioware has dragged its feet over this is the main reason why so many people are unsubbing.

Not to mention the poor customer service, the fact that server downtimes favour the people in the US and bugs that remain unfixed despite them trying to push new content out.

When are Bioware going to put the Massively back into MMO?

Poor effort and its reflected in the amount of accounts that have been cancelled of late.

Peragus mining facility is dead.

The stats over the last 60 days show the highest our server has been is at Standard level.

We are actually one of the more populated servers in europe which is unbelievable.

The fact that Bioware has dragged its feet over this is the main reason why so many people are unsubbing.

Not to mention the poor customer service, the fact that server downtimes favour the people in the US and bugs that remain unfixed despite them trying to push new content out.

When are Bioware going to put the Massively back into MMO?

Poor effort and its reflected in the amount of accounts that have been cancelled of late.

You expect maintenance to favour europe?

Bioware said they never delete accounts or character. So, do you really think they continue to run the old empty server just to archive them? Because they have to, because they never delete accounts or character, just in case a player comes back anytime.

Arymono: When will character transfers be available for everybody?

Dallas Dickinson (Senior Producer, Live Services): We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.

DrakeAssaShin: What is being done to address low population servers?

Dallas: The Character Transfer Service, as mentioned above, will be offering free transfers from/to specific servers. This should allow the most motivated players to get onto a higher population server.

Well he did say what they were doing was to allow the "most motivated players" a chance to get onto higher pop servers. I'm sure they'll save the other players data, or move them by force at a later date. I could care less about them. The most motivated players are the important ones.

Please make server transfers and mergers a priority. On the server 'Warriors of the Shadow," I am in the largest Republic guild (IRONFIST). We had a great community, but with no PVP and constant decline in population, this game is ending faster as most of us know. Server statistics are frightening for 95% of the servers. I think many would agree it is a stretch to consider this a massive multiplayer online. I'm getting deja vu of Warhammer Online.

I just needed to vent. Sorry for the redundancy.

I know posting this will accomplish nothing, but I figured I may as well share my support for server merges.

I'm on Death Wind Corridor. Played Empire since pre-launch, never had any problems getting flashpoint/heroic groups on my main character. Last month I rolled a Jedi Knight - was unable to do a single heroic or flashpoint, due to the low population - other than the 2 that I paid a level 50 a ridiculous amount of credits to take me through because I really wanted to see the story.

Back on my empire main, and I I've decided want the speeder you get from completing hard mode flashpoints. Can't do it. I can spam the fleet with "DPS LFG ANY HM" all night and get nothing.

I have 8 characters, total, that I've put a lot of effort into and frankly, I care about them. So I'm going to stop playing before I reroll onto a more populated server.

I know posting this will accomplish nothing, but I figured I may as well share my support for server merges.

I'm on Death Wind Corridor. Played Empire since pre-launch, never had any problems getting flashpoint/heroic groups on my main character. Last month I rolled a Jedi Knight - was unable to do a single heroic or flashpoint, due to the low population - other than the 2 that I paid a level 50 a ridiculous amount of credits to take me through because I really wanted to see the story.

Back on my empire main, and I I've decided want the speeder you get from completing hard mode flashpoints. Can't do it. I can spam the fleet with "DPS LFG ANY HM" all night and get nothing.

I have 8 characters, total, that I've put a lot of effort into and frankly, I care about them. So I'm going to stop playing before I reroll onto a more populated server.

So, it won't work if they just allow everyone on your dead server to transfer off and close it down? Before you answer, look how well it worked for Rift last year. They did NOT do merges, but transferred off the dead servers and shut them down to reduce the amount of servers that were available.

This is what TOR will very likely do.

So, it won't work if they just allow everyone on your dead server to transfer off and close it down? Before you answer, look how well it worked for Rift last year. They did NOT do merges, but transferred off the dead servers and shut them down to reduce the amount of servers that were available.

This is what TOR will very likely do.

Exactly.

Just checking in to see how the kitten herding is going for you in this thead tonight JC. :D

They staying pretty much in the box, or have you got runners tonight? :p

Hello everyone,

This thread has been recreated because the previous version has exceeded our post threshold of 1,000 posts. Please continue to use this thread for any discussion related to whether or not there will be Server Merges.

A reminder that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct that:

• Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules – don't respond to them!
  • Don't make spam posts like "first," "in before the lock," or "bump."
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.

For related discussions, please see the following threads:

Please also see Dallas Dickinson's reply to the April 27th Community Q&A:

Thank you for understanding.

Speed this process up dude or gal, else there wont be anyone to xfer as people are droppin like flies....

EA needs to light a fire up yo arses :)

Speed this process up dude or gal, else there wont be anyone to xfer as people are droppin like flies....

EA needs to light a fire up yo arses :)

I doubt you need to worry about that. The fact that BioWare had server transfer software ready since beta, then a few last-minute changes to Legacy caused it to not work thus necessitated the rewrite, thus pushing it off a couple of months, yeah.... I'm sure EA has lit a napalm fire...

I doubt you need to worry about that. The fact that BioWare had server transfer software ready since beta, then a few last-minute changes to Legacy caused it to not work thus necessitated the rewrite, thus pushing it off a couple of months, yeah.... I'm sure EA has lit a napalm fire...

Its a shame to have their devs classified as devlopers, it makes the rest of us look bad :/

..and that napalm didnt move em...their still being unproductive and allowing a ton of money to walk out the door...just bad bad bad business my friend....guess they will learn when their all lookin for new jobs in a few months....cause if I was EA i'd pull the plug within 6 months if there isnt a large turn around.

Edited by UnmarkedFaith

RIFT only have couple of tens servers now and its in standart population. At Steam you can see the number of players playng the game or at Xfire and its couple thousnd ppl. To keep TOR going well, they need at least 500 000 ppl as they informed at news.

LOL a couple thousand people play rift huh?

just a couple thousand.

troll comment of the year right here folks.

Its a shame to have their devs classified as devlopers, it makes the rest of us look bad :/

..and that napalm didnt move em...their still being unproductive and allowing a ton of money to walk out the door...just bad bad bad business my friend....guess they will learn when their all lookin for new jobs in a few months....cause if I was EA i'd pull the plug within 6 months if there isnt a large turn around.

Don't place the blame on the devs. If you really are a dev, then you know that devs only code what they're told to code, with little choice in the matter. Blame QA.