When will there be a SERVER MERGE?

gizbug

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if Bioware is giving free character transfers. I don't care if they've flat-out said in the past that they refuse to merge servers. The simple fact of the matter is, they NEED to revisit that decision and they NEED to change their mind. What good will it do to offer server transfers? All you're going to have is empty servers. And you can't very well delete a server if there are characters there, so what, they're going to keep running the servers as utter ghost towns? It's lunacy.

And what about servers where only one faction is ridiculously underrepresented. Will those people leave faster than others come in to fill in the gap? Very likely. Which means you're going to end up with some servers having a very vibrant, active faction fighting against a faction that doesn't even exist.

Server merges are inevitable. There is really no choice in the matter. Bioware - and more importantly their leashholders, EA - need to come to that realization now before it becomes even more painful in the future.

I don't care if Bioware is giving free character transfers. I don't care if they've flat-out said in the past that they refuse to merge servers. The simple fact of the matter is, they NEED to revisit that decision and they NEED to change their mind. What good will it do to offer server transfers? All you're going to have is empty servers. And you can't very well delete a server if there are characters there, so what, they're going to keep running the servers as utter ghost towns? It's lunacy.

And what about servers where only one faction is ridiculously underrepresented. Will those people leave faster than others come in to fill in the gap? Very likely. Which means you're going to end up with some servers having a very vibrant, active faction fighting against a faction that doesn't even exist.

Server merges are inevitable. There is really no choice in the matter. Bioware - and more importantly their leashholders, EA - need to come to that realization now before it becomes even more painful in the future.

They are going to do "Transfers" and then close servers afterwards.

Basically speaking, instead of randomly assigning people from 4-5 servers onto 1 designated server and then closing those 4-5, Bioware is going to allow you to pick from a list of servers. Once some arbitrary % of active or total players leave to go to their new designations, they are going to force the remaining people off, and then close the servers.

The end result is the same, only with a PR spin.

They are going to do "Transfers" and then close servers afterwards.

Basically speaking, instead of randomly assigning people from 4-5 servers onto 1 designated server and then closing those 4-5, Bioware is going to allow you to pick from a list of servers. Once some arbitrary % of active or total players leave to go to their new designations, they are going to force the remaining people off, and then close the servers.

The end result is the same, only with a PR spin.

And SR indicated today on Twitter that it would be free to most of the servers.

Something needs to be done about this and VERY soon as it stands at the moment the game is dead in the water to many people over to many servers, i can under stand BW opening so many when the game was released but now the hype is over ppl are leaving servers and even after re-rolling you jsut cant do it again and again.

BW YOU need to look at these posts and do something about them NOW!!!!!!!!!! before you all your servers are empty and you have to shut the game down.

Something needs to be done about this and VERY soon as it stands at the moment the game is dead in the water to many people over to many servers, i can under stand BW opening so many when the game was released but now the hype is over ppl are leaving servers and even after re-rolling you jsut cant do it again and again.

BW YOU need to look at these posts and do something about them NOW!!!!!!!!!! before you all your servers are empty and you have to shut the game down.

They R doing something about it.

Tarro Blood does OK with population... at peak time we are about 100 people in fleet... still very difficult to find a group for a random HM at times.

Would love transfers to open up and have out server be one of the choices to transfer too.

Edited by HeawiNobal

For everyone else who CAN actually read:

I'm pretty sure that the people that can read that are also people that read things such as:

"Rated Warzones are coming in 1.2."

"Subscription numbers haven't dropped."

"People are simply spending less time on the game."

Sorry, but this game and the devs involved have attained a level of "Believe it when I see it" credibility. So, when I see an offer for a free xfer from my dead server, I'll believe it, until then, they can say whatever they want.

This thread has been going since January. My server is completely dead- when I logged on there were 4 people on the fleet, 2 of them were levels 11 and 13. Bio is trying to tell me to wait until SUMMER for a transfer?? Or is there an update saying that transfers will be THIS WEEK? If I'm stuck on this server when Friday rolls around, I'm done. I'm the highest ranked imp on my server, so it's a tough decision to make- but there's only so much I can take.

I'm pretty sure that the people that can read that are also people that read things such as:

"Rated Warzones are coming in 1.2."

"Subscription numbers haven't dropped."

"People are simply spending less time on the game."

Sorry, but this game and the devs involved have attained a level of "Believe it when I see it" credibility. So, when I see an offer for a free xfer from my dead server, I'll believe it, until then, they can say whatever they want.

Shoot the messenger much?

I'm starting to wonder if they even care.

Some of you need to realize that there are some servers that are dead.

When you say "Just wait , it will get fixed!" that's not really fair to the people who go to an empty auction house, or wait an hour for a pvp queue. Just because you rolled the dice and hit a server thats populated doesn't give you the right to downplay the concerns for those of us who are on servers that are dying or dead.

When someone is drowning you throw them a rope not an anchor, and until merges/transfers happen it will only get worse before it gets better.

And on 'paid' transfers... I will unsub before I allow Bioware to make me pay more money to play this game because of their lack of design and poor server maintenance.

And on 'paid' transfers... I will unsub before I allow Bioware to make me pay more money to play this game because of their lack of design and poor server maintenance.

The paid transfers aren't coming until after the free ones, which, if SR is to be believed, the free transfers will include most servers.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

They also said ranked WZ up until hours before 1.2 launched.

My faith in their word is diminished.

I understand that, and I'm not saying take them at their word. But I'm also saying don't automatically assume it won't work that way. Both extremes are foolish.

I understand that, and I'm not saying take them at their word. But I'm also saying don't automatically assume it won't work that way. Both extremes are foolish.

I don't beleive I did say that.... I beleive I said that 'if' they require a payment I will unsub before I pay....

Please merge the servers. The ghost town atmosphere in this game end-game is ridiculous when practically everything relies on having at least one other person. I have leveled my second character to 50 and I cannot even find friends to help me do dailies to buy any of the useless Legacy upgrades..... FML for buying this trash

I'm on the Krath server and its pretty low pop as of late. At launch I recall there would be well over 100 players on the fleet alone during peak hours, and finding a group was easy. Heck, people would hang out at the entrance to flashpoints and group up there, but not anymore. I spend an hour spamming 'lfg ...' and hardly even get a single response.

I'm a new lvl 50 and haven't been able to find anyone to do a single lvl 50 flashpoint or operation with yet. All those missions are stacked in my log and I simply can't do them, which is frustrating.

My server has 92 Republic players on it right now, but it feels totally empty since they're spread out over a dozen planets, flashpoints, the fleet, etc. There are three other player besides me on Ilum right now, and that's the most I've seen since I hit lvl 50 last week. I have yet to see another player form either side in the Ilum pvp zone.

The thing is, I like this game. I really do. But there's just nothing to do (other than dailies) at lvl 50 when server pops are so low. I'm glad they're working on server switching, but what if I use my token and end up on another low pop server? Personally, I would rather they fold every three servers that constantly show 'light' load into one.

Additionally, with the upcoming server switching, will you be able to combine toons from different servers into a single legacy? How will it work if I move from server A to server B which has an alt toon on it? Sorry if this has been asked and covered before.

Thanks!

Edited by Delta_Fixer
spelling

I made a post about this, the thread was closed, and I was told to come here instead where I see 100 pages already, so I doubt I really will be heard, but here goes nothing.

1) If server mergers dont happen quick, it wont matter cause everyone will have quit this game to play other games that are out, or coming out very soon.

2) Sure transfers would be nice, but not enough because everyone will want to go to the most populated server like Fatman, which will then become to full to accept after a certain number, and some people will not be able to play with the friends they have made along the way which in most cases keeps us playing.

3) There server that everyone will flood to will end up having very long login times, which will eventually hurt the server long term. If they do server merges they can put the right amount of people on each server so we don't run into this problem.

4) There will be servers with people that will not transfer so what happens to them and those servers? Is it really smart to house a whole server for just a few people that didn't bother to make a transfer or don't want to pay to do a transfer for a better one... No. They will end up quitting the game, not smart.

5) How hard can it really be to make these merges? I'm a programmer by profession so doing this is not as difficult as one would make it seem. It almost seems like they're trying to make a profit from this rather then trying to make their subs happy, which in turn will pay them back ten folds.

6) This thread is called "When will there be a server merge.... but i see no talk of server merge, just transfers so what exactley is going on here.

If it sounds like i'm frustrated i am. I been playing this game from beta to pre-launch to present. I have a lot of time invested in my toons, and I dont want to see it all go to waste. I also don't want to lose the friends I have made along the way, because lets face it, that's the whole reason of playing a MMO to begin with. If i wanted to play a single player game, I would play my xbox. I logged into my server today and we had 8 people on my fleet during the middle of the afternoon thanks to a new game that just came out that I personally have no interest in playing. We used to reach as high as 200 people on the fleet. After waiting an hour in que for a WZ, i gave up and just logged off. So now i'm suppose to wait untill sometime in the summer for a transfer and hope I end up on a populated server along with all my friends. This is the impossible dream. JUST DO SERVER MERGES AND MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY, and do it fast before the last few loyal people you have are gone too. You guys are going to miss out on MILLIONS of dollars if you sit around and just hope for the best, because I promise you it won't end up good. Some people will never buy another Bio Ware game ever again just like Millions won't buy a Sony game because of their history. Do the right thing and listen to your customers because they're telling you what they want, and that is server merges!

I'm 99.9% sure i wont be heard here through all these pages, but I had to give a shot to try to save a really cool game that has a ton of potential, but without paying customers, it won't mean anything.

^^^

I totally agree. There's a very interesting website called torstatus.net that has stats on server status. The stats show that there's a large percentage of servers that are perpetually stuck with a 'Light' population that rarely ever reach even 'Standard', which is only the second of four population tiers.

And there are only a small handful of servers that maintain 'Standard' and 'Heavy' populations at peak.

Judging from my server's typical and peak pops, it seams like folding 3-4 servers into one would make sense for typically 'Light' servers while folding two servers into one might make sense for typically 'Standard' servers. And like you said, you'd retain all your friends if they did server merges as opposed to switching.

At the end of the day, its the lack of pop on my server that has me here posting on the forum instead of playing the game.

Edited by Delta_Fixer