The definitive word on end game itemization in 1.2

GeorgZoeller

So there are no changes? Doesn't surprise me, OP (Bioware) states there are changes to some Battlemaster pieces yet we see nothing or know of none of these changes. A simple answer on what these changes are and to what Battlemaster pieces (it has been asked over 20 times in this thread alone) would be great.

Nearly all Battlemaster gear has changed. You'll see an increase in Expertise and a decrease in stats like Strength and Endurance. Check DarthHater for a full list of changes.

PvP gear won't be as viable in PvE situations anymore, but will be even better in PvP, which makes perfect sense.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nearly all Battlemaster gear has changed. You'll see an increase in Expertise and a decrease in stats like Strength and Endurance. Check DarthHater for a full list of changes.

PvP gear won't be as viable in PvE situations anymore, but will be even better in PvP, which makes perfect sense.

So you are saying its NOT exactly the same as on live, with additional expertise per piece?

I thought darthhater was displaying the old stats.

Im talking set pieces, with mods.

And, he mentioned certain, select bm pieces were changed.

which pieces? And to what stats? Im assuming this change is for the better, getting rid of useless accuracy / alacrity.

Sorry if noone has asked this question, but I would like to know.

Sadly, for 1.2. it will stay light armor.

We are currently working on what we call 'adaptive gear' technology for a future Game Update (hopefully 1.3) which will make social equipment morph to the correct armor type for a player. Together with the ability to infuse mod slots into existing gear, this will make social gear a completely viable option when it rolls out.

Just make appearance slots, problem solved, forever, for almost all gear appearance issues...

No matter how "adaptive" the plan is, you may be forgetting the fact that heavy armor users can wear all 3 types as choice. How will the item "adapt" if they have 3 tiers? Does it default to the highest set? What if they wanted light/medium for their companion?

Does the system work at purchase or does the adaptive item change attribute based on the character it's equipped on? How will it react if the character you want to equip it on doesn't "fit" the current type of the armor?

You're adding more work and variables than you need to, appearance slots that are independent of the stats and replaces the current appearance. This was always the best course of action in terms of giving players full control of their appearance, you'd still need orange custom items for the freedom to mod stats, but cosmetics should always be up to the players to choose without a ton of restrictions.

By implementing appearance slots you can simply default new social/vanity gears and remove armor types altogether as a variable. So it becomes a skin that people can put on without needing to go bankrupt moving mods in and out every single time you release more "appearances". Not to mention how much more versatile appearance slots are compared to adaptive gears in the long run. It's one appearance override code versus some character class check plus this and that and then allow the user to wear it.

Simpler is better sometimes, you're better off reinventing the wheel in other parts of the game (group content, variable difficulty based on group composition, rotating missions as weekly/monthly events) than spending that much time making something you don't need.

So you are saying its NOT exactly the same as on live, with additional expertise per piece?

I thought darthhater was displaying the old stats.

Im talking set pieces, with mods.

And, he mentioned certain, select bm pieces were changed.

which pieces? And to what stats? Im assuming this change is for the better, getting rid of useless accuracy / alacrity.

Sorry if noone has asked this question, but I would like to know.

Correct. Some of the Battlemaster gear stats will change tomorrow. This is an article from 2 weeks ago from DarthHater. Obviously some things may have changed since then, but this gives you an idea of the type of changes to Battlemaster gear. You can use TorHead to get the current versions.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/feature/20028-new-in-1-2-battlemaster-weapon-and-offhand-changes

Correct. Some of the Battlemaster gear stats will change tomorrow. This is an article from 2 weeks ago from DarthHater. Obviously some things may have changed since then, but this gives you an idea of the type of changes to Battlemaster gear. You can use TorHead to get the current versions.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/feature/20028-new-in-1-2-battlemaster-weapon-and-offhand-changes

But we aren't sure which items changed, is what I think Super was trying to say.

The stats on the weapons listed on the site you linked were what they changed it to, but they revised it back to the live stats with the addition to expertise on mod/enhancement. Same with Dulfy's article on the 'new' battlemaster stats, they were all revised back to live stats (with addition of expertise on mod/enhancement).

NOW,

As of 1.2, Battlemaster gear features an increased budget of expertise and an update stat distribution on a small subset of items on some classes.

Georg said here only a SMALL SUBSET OF ITEMS ON SOME CLASSES are going to be changed.

Which items? Which classes? To what stats are they changing it too?

We don't know. This is what we want to find out. That link that you posted only shows mainhands and offhands, but we don't know for sure if they are going to be changing those items. It could be JUST tanking bracers and belts (examples) for all we know.

Reading his letter(and others from the past) I am torn between his level of involvement.

I say this being an MMO veteran and remembering when you RARELY got to speak to a developer, and SOMETIMES you got some personal vies out of a Game Master.

But this sort of blase chummy chum that these guys have with the community is a double edged sword - and given the changes based on so called 'feedback'(which is often large named guilds TELLING developers what to do OR ELSE), it looks like it's more chummy than business.

Developers don't have to say anything. People don't NEED to know everything, and half the fun of finding and exploring is ruined when they tell you what loot can be found on what mob in what location and bla bla.

As for the PVP ... they could have redeemed themselves for the Ilum scandal if they'd gone the other direction and just removed Expertise from the PVP gear and when you enter a warzone all your stats get matched (or scaled to match).

The idea is to play the match, achieve the objectives and succeed. If the enjoyment of it is not enough, then either the developers haven't made an interesting activity OR if you're dying for some feeling of progression, go play PVE.

The customization was hailed as the end of 'wardrobe' use in MMOs - providing both tangible as well as aesthetic fluff benefits. Between the several changes in BETA, and the ones coming, it seems to have simply been a clunky and unnecessary system that has no real purpose to costume or outfit looks. A wardrobe would solve this - leave the modifying for stat gains.

These are some examples where Bioware - given their triple AAA status, could have taken some risks to better the MMORPG community and market in general, and put us back on the proper path away from this nanny-state gimme gimme low attention span course that we're speeding down with reckless abandon.

Anyways, Star Wars is already done.

We've played the story line, there's not much more you can do after one defeats THE EMPEROR(bit premature?)

We've played the raids .. defeated SOA, like THE diety of all dieties.

The core mechanics and what makes SWTOR, will never change - adding new content is like any other generic MMO - you play it, beat it and then take a break for several months. You return for the expansion(s) and repeat the process.

SWTOR will not 'evolve', it will just regurgitate. How George and the team can keep a straight face about the reality of SWTOR being a cash cow is beyond me, but I guess their corporate con artists bosses are good at their job.

Edited by Ranebow

All my research seems to indicate that the set pieces have not, in fact, changed much.

this is the crux of the issue since the mods may or may not be upgraded depending on what you did to the set pieces pre 1.2

I am aware about the non moddable pieces changing, but this has no effect on my actions pre patch.

Soooooooooo....

Which pieces are getting chanhed enhancements?

All my research seems to indicate that the set pieces have not, in fact, changed much.

this is the crux of the issue since the mods may or may not be upgraded depending on what you did to the set pieces pre 1.2

I am aware about the non moddable pieces changing, but this has no effect on my actions pre patch.

Soooooooooo....

Which pieces are getting chanhed enhancements?

Guess we'll see tomorrow. ;)

Campaign gear is the new tier of PvE set items we are rolling out with the Explosive Conflict Operation. It shares the set bonus with Rakata, allowing seamless equipment upgrades and is acquired through tokens acquired in Hard Mode of Operation: Explosive Conflict and the new World Boss on Voss [Edited: changed location of the World Boss].

Unlike Rakata, Columi and Tionese gear, Campaign gear carries it's set bonus on the armoring of every piece. This means that players may transfer all mods and armoring out of campaign gear into any custom (orange) appearance available without losing the benefit of the set bonus. Please note that moving an armoring with a set bonus into a pre 1.2. item shell with a set bonus (e.g. a Rakata Shell) will be resolved with the armoring taking precedence (Sorry, no stacking here :))

so, future rakata/columi/tionese gear will not have the set bonus attached to the armoring? very disappointing, i was really looking forward to ditching my 'endgame' gear look. especially if the only ways to get that campaign gear is a single weekly run of explosive conflict, if you're lucky enough, unlike me, to be in a hardcore raiding guild that is actually consistently running hm ops and a world boss. guess i better get my camping equipment out and try to beat the rush...

@Georg:

(1) Will players be able to reverse engineer mods dropped from operations and have a chance to learn a new master craft version of those mods?

(2) Will artifice players be able to reverse engineer and learn the new relics purchasable by daily commendations?

Edited by scorpinot

So, somehow it was impossible to make the stat update work for PVE gear, but it works fine for battlemaster? Given the garbage stats in rakata gear, that's pretty annoying. All the more so with the nerf coming to heals.

How about we don't mess with healers' abilities until such time as we correctly rebalance the stats in rakata gear?

And if we could actually fix the pylon panel bug in eternity vault and maybe also bonethrasher's knockback in hard and nightmare karragga's palace, that would be great too!

Oh, I realize this is somewhat offtopic, but, if in addition to giving us guild banks, you could also rustle up the resources to permit guildmail, and multiple recipient email, that would be another big leap forward that most MMOs don't seem to struggle with.

:rolleyes:

All in all - this is both a good, and a terrible, update. I'm disappointed at the way much of this has been handled (I'll say it just like everyone else: Does BW even play this game?). Cent and Champion gear should not have been removed, valor requirements should have stuck, etc. BW heads up: don't do massive updates. People don't tend to like massive changes. Add stuff little by little. If you had anyone working for you who played mmo's long term you wouldn't be doing most of this. I'm thrilled about parts of 1.2 - but not so thrilled about others. And how do the pvp changes not jack the people who already got their bm gear? You just gave them more to grind, and it seems their gear that they spent all that time for, is no longer all that valuable because it's so much easier to get. What is everyone at BW thinking? Are you trying to alienate your players?

So the players who achieved valor rank 60 before 1.2 and had to work through the horrid bags system are getting screwed. Now anyone can get BM gear without having to hit rank 60?

If that is right, don't you think that's a little unfair to the people who had to grind and grind for a very small chance to get one BM commendation. There has to be some sort of restrictions to get the gear. If we old level 50's had to do it, than the fresh 50's should have to do it too.

What I'd like to know, since i aint seen anything claified on this, is; Will there be armor/barrels/hilts with the appropiate stats on them in present Centurian, Champion, and Battlemaster gear/weapons so that we can transfer all of those stats from that gear to orange gear that we like the appearance of more than that ugly as hell Cent/Champ/BM gear as was promised when 1.2 was announced?

Okay, I might lack the insight of a game developer, but is there an actual reason why the set bonuses aren't carried by the armoring slots even for Tionese, Columni, Rakata, Centurion, Champion and Battlemaster? I thought the intention was to give players the option to look like they want to without having to sacrifice the stats/set bonuses of their hard-won end-game sets, or am I wrong? Because getting this option only if you have the Campaign/War Hero gear seems to me like a pretty underhanded incentive to spend more time in the game. Or is there a problem in the technical aspect of the matter?

Please, devs, elucidate us...

If that's what they were thinking they miscalculated. I damn sure aint going to grind out more gear while staring at that ugly as a dog's butt end game gear so that I can finally customize my char's appearance the way I want him to look, especially since Bio claimed that we would be able to do this with existing end game gear when they announced 1.2. I'm sure that I aint alone in this either.

This, if true, is a major fail Bio!

It's better than trading your merc for warzone comms at a rate of 3:1 as it is currently. If you traded 1000 merc in today you would get 330 wz comms. If you do it tomorrow you will get 1000 wz comms.

Hoping to get 3000 wz comms for 1000 merc comms is a bit ridiculous....lol. :D

what are u saying? today we trade 30 Wz for 10 Merc

so since Merc will be out of the game, the remain must be 10 merc for 30 WZ

another unfairness

Edited by Kissakias

So the players who achieved valor rank 60 before 1.2 and had to work through the horrid bags system are getting screwed. Now anyone can get BM gear without having to hit rank 60?

If that is right, don't you think that's a little unfair to the people who had to grind and grind for a very small chance to get one BM commendation. There has to be some sort of restrictions to get the gear. If we old level 50's had to do it, than the fresh 50's should have to do it too.

Getting to Valor rank 60 took no skill at all. Just time spent. Take it from me, the guy dancing in Huttball for free valor. New system will actually force me to fight. Which is probably a good thing. Maaaybe.... ;)

what are u saying? today we trade 30 Wz for 10 Merc

so since Merc will be out of the game, the remain must be 10 merc for 30 WZ

another unfairness

Getting 30 warzone comms for your measly 10 merc comms is ridiculous. I know it cost us 3000 wz to get those 1000 merc, but expecting it to reverse the trade-in isn't gonna happen.

You're lucky you're getting 1000 wz instead of 330.

Getting 30 warzone comms for your measly 10 merc comms is ridiculous. I know it cost us 3000 wz to get those 1000 merc, but expecting it to reverse the trade-in isn't gonna happen.

You're lucky you're getting 1000 wz instead of 330.

at least should make it 1:2 even that is unfair but closer to fair