Concerned about jedi guardian

Ganodor

Hello every1, this is my first post in this community so first of all let me salute you all!

back to business, i am a bit concerned about the advanced class i have chosen: Jedi guardian. I chosed it cause i came from mostly dps experience in wow so i wanted a change goin to a tank class. today i took a look at the tank topic and i noticed that lots of people said that jedi guard is pretty hard to use and not so much effective. Is that true? Does it reuire so much tanking skill? (consider that the only tankin class i ever used was a Dk in WoW).

feedback and opinions are appreciated!

bb!

Edited by Ganodor

I'm a new guardian as well, and I've just hit 28. While my experiences are limited for higher level stuff, I can say so far that I have no problems tanking either with other players or for my DPS companion (Kira). Even though I am leveling as a Vigil spec Guardian, I don't have major problems with survivability and definitely no problems with holding aggro. I can only imagine how much better Defense spec Guardians would shine.

Another note to consider is PvP tanking. A Guardian can use an ability call Guard to absorb damage being done on friendly players. A Guardian can also use Taunt on enemy players reducing their damage on friendly players by 30%. It's really fun and helps the team.

I actually switch from a Sentinel to a Guardian, and I highly recommend it sticking with your Guardian. I'm not saying a Sentinel can't be great--it's just not my play style.

Guardian is perfectly fine as a tank class. I tank Hard Mode FP's all the time. We are very strong on single targets. Our weakness is in aoe threat, but this game isn't WoW. There isn't a class that can walk into a pack of mobs and just spam a high threat aoe ability. Those abilities just don't exist in this game. The thing is that you have to realize that tanks aren't expected to hold 5 mobs for the entire pull in this game.

I actually really like the gameplay of the defense spec for guardian and I never really enjoyed the tank role that much in WoW. I did tank on both a warrior and a prot pally in that game, but I didn't enjoy it.

I have No Problem Tanking With my Guardian...

Taunt and Challenging Call are the Only Threat modifiers we have, So thats kinda weak... But If you spec right, you should be able to dish out enough damage to keep your threat Up and keep aggro, and You Will be able to take a pretty good beating as well.

I like using the Vig/Def Spec, Its been doing Just fine for me... although apparently the changes coming to the skill tree in 1.2 will make that a less viable build.

But from what I've read, Def and Vig trees are both good for tanking and of course the right mix of both works as well... I hear Focus is kinda crappy for tanking and is really more of a DPS build.

I hope you are right guys..:)

the most i am worried about is the aoe tanking since i gave a look on youtube and it looks like mobs just go for the party without focusing on the tank..:) we'll see...btw so far this game rules!!:)

This is what you have to remember about this game:

First, that it is unlike WoW where the tank charges in and cleaves everything and holds aggro on everything.

Second, this games mechanic are different. Most pulls have 2-3 elites, 2-3 strongs, 2-3 normal mobs. With this game, you would cc a couple of the elites while the tank picks up 1 of the elites and the strongs while the dps burn the normal mobs. The you work on the strongs, then the elites one at a time. That is the way this game was intented to be done. Not charge in and AoE the crap out of everything while your healer spams its biggest heal.

Edited by Jochob

This is what you have to remember about this game:

First, that it is unlike WoW where the tank charges in and cleaves everything and holds aggro on everything.

Second, this games mechanic are different. Most pulls have 2-3 elites, 2-3 strongs, 2-3 normal mobs. With this game, you would cc a couple of the elites while the tank picks up 1 of the elites and the strongs while the dps burn the normal mobs. The you work on the strongs, then the elites one at a time. That is the way this game was intented to be done. Not charge in and AoE the crap out of everything while your healer spams its biggest heal.

This. We don't run in and aoe tank like in WoW. No class has that ability. You will find in most flashpoints that you are tanking either 1 gold or 2-3 strongs at a time while the dps mops up the others quickly. AOE threat is something people complain that we can't do and we definitely have fewer tools than the other 2 classes, but it is also not as big a deal as some people make it.

We tank great... I tank in full Vigilance, works like a charm.

The Defence tree IMHO is a little weak in Pvp (grain of salt required here

I never played full defence). Not sure how great it is in PVE cause Vigilance

does great and can PVP like a freight train! I'd support harder content for

Defence spec't Jedi... if they want that type of thing.

However... never try to MT in Shien naked... :p Although, if you

pull that off and post a youtube of it here, you win, the prize

nothing short of forum legendry... (for your healers) :p

Edited by VoidJustice

Frankly, I'm glad BioWare did not put an emphasis on AoE tanking. For me (I played a Protection Warrior), WoW went downhill when Burning Crusade began introducing AoE tanking. Once that happened, there was no longer any strategic thought required in doing instances like in vanilla WoW where CC actually mattered. It became a matter of the tank gathering up as many mobs as possible for the group to AoE down as quickly as possible so people can finish an instance as fast as possible. AoE tanking became a means to rapid gear grinds and a gradual deterioration of general player skills, IMHO, in WoW. Maybe I am being overdramatic but I don't like what AoE tanking led to in WoW.

Frankly, I'm glad BioWare did not put an emphasis on AoE tanking. For me (I played a Protection Warrior), WoW went downhill when Burning Crusade began introducing AoE tanking. Once that happened, there was no longer any strategic thought required in doing instances like in vanilla WoW where CC actually mattered. It became a matter of the tank gathering up as many mobs as possible for the group to AoE down as quickly as possible so people can finish an instance as fast as possible. AoE tanking became a means to rapid gear grinds and a gradual deterioration of general player skills, IMHO, in WoW. Maybe I am being overdramatic but I don't like what AoE tanking led to in WoW.

Agree, that's why you'd see so many people dying in fire.