Which AC to choose?

TGBeans

I'm leveling a BH after finishing my IA and SI. I'm trying to decide on what advanced class to play.

I like the PT for the mobility and tanking possibility. But I also know that Mercs are very dangerous in PvP and they can heal, which is always needed.

The reason I'm asking is I don't want to be a turret class. I get enough of that on my sniper. What are the Pro's and Con's of PT and Merc?

PTs are a lot more up close and personal. Their Pulls (and leaps if you spec that way) can change the course of a huttball match easily.

PTs are getting a pretty big nerf in 1.2 sadly.

On the other hand, so are healing Mercs.

merc is more ranged than pt. arsenal is a turret spec so plan on standing in one spot for most of the time to deal damage but its good damage. also, hope that you dont get harassed cause that will shutdown your damage. imo this just makes arsenal harder to play and more enjoyable when you can overcome said obstacles.

as an arsenal merc in half bm/half champ gear i lay the hammer down on most classes and can 1v1 decently well, this is only because of gear though since merc isnt a 1v1 class. if you want to be the class that everyone fears if left alone due to dps potential then arsenal merc is for you

I went Merc/Arsenal Tree--I don't do PVP and have no desire to nor am I in a guild preferring to play the game at my own pace going where I want to go when I want to go there. That said, there are bosses which have posed major problems for me such as the Herald of Bloodgouge on Tattoine and Jedi Master Seraph on Alderaan whom I'm currently trying to figure out how to beat. There are times (like this) in which I wish I had gone PT for the shields but I'll figure something out.

As a ranged DPS guy with twin blasters I have a lot of fun setting up attacks such as DFA, CM, SB, JB and although I hate to admit I do it, I do spam TM a lot because it's one of my most effective attacks especially since it sets up my RS throwing in an RP if someone gets too close.

I'm leveling a BH after finishing my IA and SI. I'm trying to decide on what advanced class to play.

I like the PT for the mobility and tanking possibility. But I also know that Mercs are very dangerous in PvP and they can heal, which is always needed.

The reason I'm asking is I don't want to be a turret class. I get enough of that on my sniper. What are the Pro's and Con's of PT and Merc?

I went Merc/Arsenal Tree--I don't do PVP and have no desire to nor am I in a guild preferring to play the game at my own pace going where I want to go when I want to go there. That said, there are bosses which have posed major problems for me such as the Herald of Bloodgouge on Tattoine and Jedi Master Seraph on Alderaan whom I'm currently trying to figure out how to beat. There are times (like this) in which I wish I had gone PT for the shields but I'll figure something out.

As a ranged DPS guy with twin blasters I have a lot of fun setting up attacks such as DFA, CM, SB, JB and although I hate to admit I do it, I do spam TM a lot because it's one of my most effective attacks especially since it sets up my RS throwing in an RP if someone gets too close.

you realize that if you had gone PT for the shields, you would have to give up on high dmg abilities,lots of aoe,CC, and heals right? As a shieldtech most used ability is rocket punch and flamethrower

i played the merc as my original toon as a noob to mmos and didnt realize until i played a scoundrel, sniper and shadow how awesome interrupts were. when i roll my chiss/ twilek trooper (this thursday!!!!) ill be going vanguard for that +survivability and versatility. mercs, even with 1.2 tweaks, i consider the simplest class ive played. had to go healer just to not fall asleep

It's interesting you mention this as just last night I stopped off on Dromond Kaas and respec'd to Pyro--I don't do as much damage as I did Arsenal but am going to run with it for a few days to adjust and see how I like it, I am halfway to 31 and grabbed some new quests so I'll see how it goes

you realize that if you had gone PT for the shields, you would have to give up on high dmg abilities,lots of aoe,CC, and heals right? As a shieldtech most used ability is rocket punch and flamethrower

I went Commando/Gunnery and have to say that is a lot of fun.

My Merc was my first as well--when I did the beta I had a Sith Inquisitor on Ziost and soon will roll an IA/Sniper/Lethality, also doing a Sith at some point but haven't yet decided Inq or War

i played the merc as my original toon as a noob to mmos and didnt realize until i played a scoundrel, sniper and shadow how awesome interrupts were. when i roll my chiss/ twilek trooper (this thursday!!!!) ill be going vanguard for that +survivability and versatility. mercs, even with 1.2 tweaks, i consider the simplest class ive played. had to go healer just to not fall asleep