Legacy Unlock - Companion By Type

BlueSkittles

I understand that we get Companions based on story and where they appear in that storyline. The problem is, say I choose a healing Advance Class at level 10 but my companion is also a healer or dps and I would prefer a tank Companion. Unfortunately, I won't get that tank companion for many, many levels, thus my gameplay suffers as a result.

As part of the Legacy System, perhaps I could unlock that tank Companion early. This way, I could play the game using the Companion type that I want/need for gameplay purposes.

I understand dialogue cut-scenes wouldn't work with that companion but if I've already unlocked my Legacy, I think I would understand that "awkwardness".

Or as a similar option, perhaps the role of my companions could be unlocked and made swap-able. This way my first companion could then take on whatever role I desire.

So if I unlocked Quinn before meeting him...and then suddenly I'm meeting him for the first time when I get to Balmorra...

I'm sorry, but this is obviously one of many problems that would exist from getting companions out of turn.

Maybe you could just import a companion from another class to use until you gain your own companion of that type. So if for example you completed the jedi consular story and are making a jedi knight, you want a healer companion, so you import tharan cedrax and use him as your companion with his gear updating automatically with up to date greens for your character's level, then when Doc joins your crew, Tharan returns to the jedi consular's ship.

Of course you wouldn't be able to use Tharan for crew skills on the knight or gain/lose affection with him as he isn't your companion.

So if I unlocked Quinn before meeting him...and then suddenly I'm meeting him for the first time when I get to Balmorra...

I'm sorry, but this is obviously one of many problems that would exist from getting companions out of turn.

That's why I think my second suggestion of just unlocking different roles for each character might be a better solution. But either way, I was just throwing this out there so the devs know at least one player is thinking/annoyed about it. I tend to like 1 companion and don't want to have to always think of my advanced class so I can always play with that companion, but hate the advanced class.

Maybe you could just import a companion from another class to use until you gain your own companion of that type. So if for example you completed the jedi consular story and are making a jedi knight, you want a healer companion, so you import tharan cedrax and use him as your companion with his gear updating automatically with up to date greens for your character's level, then when Doc joins your crew, Tharan returns to the jedi consular's ship.

Of course you wouldn't be able to use Tharan for crew skills on the knight or gain/lose affection with him as he isn't your companion.

It would be fun to be able to play with whomever you like by importing from another character. I like that idea.

Edit to add: They could be like the "Guest" spot that appears when questing sometimes. So each toon gets 1 "Special/Imported Guest" Spot in their Companion list that doesn't get any of the normal Companion benefits, just being able to use them during fights. And they would appear in cut-scenes but with no dialogue. All this of course unlocked from Legacy somehow.

Edited by BlueSkittles