Ask Hoxven, free informed and knowledable answers on all things Sentinel

RakeHoxven

How easy was it to level to 50?

It gets less hard with experience.

It has taken me 5-7 days without cutscenes levelling two different times to level 50.

With cutscenes it takes longer

For the first time through it should take even longer.

Edited by RakeHoxven

There seem to be a lot of noob opinions on this board. If you have questions please leave them here or PM me and I will gladly answer them.

Not saying that I know everything, but what qualifies you to say you do not have noob opinions?

Do you find muffins or doughnuts better food whilst pvping as a sentinel?

donuts because muffins make you thirsty afterwards lol

also muffins cause nasty crumbs.

(a good tip. ice-cream goes on sales usually beginning of every month and cookies)

Edited by RakeHoxven

Do you find muffins or doughnuts better food whilst pvping as a sentinel?

A good low fat bran muffin will have more fiber, which is better nutritionally speaking. doughnuts will not only make you feel bloaty but will also only provide a temporary sugar rush followed by a crash, wheras a healthy muffin will keep you through in the long run. Also muffins wont leave glaze on your fingers, causing you to then gunk up your keyboard or make you constantly lick your finger, thus slicking them.

Id reccomend a toasted multi grain bagel with a low sugar preserve over either though, depending on your spec of course.

A good low fat bran muffin will have more fiber, which is better nutritionally speaking. doughnuts will not only make you feel bloaty but will also only provide a temporary sugar rush followed by a crash, wheras a healthy muffin will keep you through in the long run. Also muffins wont leave glaze on your fingers, causing you to then gunk up your keyboard or make you constantly lick your finger, thus slicking them.

Id reccomend a toasted multi grain bagel with a low sugar preserve over either though, depending on your spec of course.

I don't often eat donuts or muffins. Healthy cereal with some bananas is good :) throw in a spoonfull of peanut butter and some cinnamon is a classic (I also like to add some wild honey for a great taste).

Edited by RakeHoxven

OK, Rake, I'll bite. Please state what you believe to be the ideal Level 50 PvP-focused Watchman build post-Update 1.2. Thanks.

Actually I have not been reading up on 1.2. I am not concerned because I understand it will simply be a rearrangement of skills already in the game and buffs or nerfs to what we have already.

Hey there. Thanks for the post. I'm always looking to improve. I'm a Combat Sent (pve mainly) and I'm sure you can appreciate the challenges. What do you think of this basic rotation. It is, of course, very situational, but as a core strategy for a Combat Sent I'm wondering if I'm on the right track.

Slash>Zealous Slash>Precision Slash (armor penetration)>(spam 3x or 4x until focus is down to 3)Blade Rush (Art setup for Blade Storm)>Blade Storm (for the proc)>Master Strike.

This is for HMs and Ops obviously, and Master Strike only when available. I will use Cauterize, Crippling Throw, and Leg Slash, but I don't focus on burns or dots as a general rule. Dispatch I use when it is available.

Your thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Your rotation is good. I prefer to never use slash unless with Zen but use Bladerush instead. Bladerush's animation is much quicker (at least with DSL lag) and it also triggers combat trance which even if bladestorm doesn't happen for whatever reason provides one focus when it ends.

For combat spec chance plays a role in damage: Ataru strike is % to trigger, combat trance is % to trigger, and jedi crusader only works if being targetted (inbetween battles or if boss focuses another player) so chance to be available is real.

Because skills are based on chance, the way to maximize dps is to have combinations. Combinations are situational rotations based on what happens. For example if a knockback happens or a combat trance is not triggered or you need more focus than you have to perform your optimal rotation. Examples of combinations may be:

Combination 1: leap, bladerush(combat trance triggered), bladestorm, (knockback) fail to activate zealous strike and now you are too far.

Combination 2: leap, bladerush(combat trance triggered), zealous strike (knockback), (possible resolute) bladestorm. or leap, bladerush(combat trance did not trigger), (jedi crusader triggers), bladerush #2 (combat trance triggers), (knockback), (possible resolute) bladestorm.

Combination 3: leap, bladerush(no cocmbat trance), zealous strike, force stasus, precision strike, bladerushx3

Conclusion: A good amount of combat sentinels damage is based on a % to happen try stringing together combinations that optimize dps and survivability that are based on what happens instead of what is optimal.

p.s.

The combat tree also provides roots which are more important in pvp than pve because bosses can seldomly be rooted but they are worth mentioning. The combat tree has two extra roots: crippling throw and master strike roots.

Pacify is also much more useful with more than double range.

Insight, Master Focus, and focused slash are the three most beneficial skills to get after the combat tree skills.

It is always beneficial to leap into combat as a combat sentinel. Unlike watachman combat has crippling throw root that will close the gap from a knockback and force camo that will break any root. leaping into combat provides 4 focus and since zealous strike has a lower cooldown it is important to use leap with zealous strike to gain the optimal focus for combat sentinels. When in doubt, leap, there is no consequence for doing so. A very helpful tip: in pvp you can use crippling throw while being knocked back which is very useful for rooting while being knocked back.

(posting this here because pm sending is timing out and does not seem to work)

Edited by RakeHoxven

Thanks. I meant Strike not Slash in my PM to you. lol. That should make more sense.

One more thing to keep in mind if you do transition over to pvp is precision slash has a high cooldown so making a default rotation with it is probably not going to work as well in the pvp setting.

something I forgot to mention for the new combat players is a little tip on Ataru Strikes. The animation of an Ataru strike does not need to play in order for the damage to be assessed. So if using bladerush and then reposte is used the game will still assess damage for an Ataru Strike assuming one was triggered. Damage of ataru strikes process even if the Ataru Strike animation does not happen from using another skill.

I hope all this helps and feel free to ask more questions :)

Edited by RakeHoxven

Actually I have not been reading up on 1.2. I am not concerned because I understand it will simply be a rearrangement of skills already in the game and buffs or nerfs to what we have already.

Your rotation is good. I prefer to never use slash unless with Zen but use Bladerush instead. Bladerush's animation is much quicker (at least with DSL lag) and it also triggers combat trance which even if bladestorm doesn't happen for whatever reason provides one focus when it ends.

For combat spec chance plays a role in damage: Ataru strike is % to trigger, combat trance is % to trigger, and jedi crusader only works if being targetted (inbetween battles or if boss focuses another player) so chance to be available is real.

Because skills are based on chance, the way to maximize dps is to have combinations. Combinations are situational rotations based on what happens. For example if a knockback happens or a combat trance is not triggered or you need more focus than you have to perform your optimal rotation. Examples of combinations may be:

Combination 1: leap, bladerush(combat trance triggered), bladestorm, (knockback) fail to activate zealous strike and now you are too far.

Combination 2: leap, bladerush(combat trance triggered), zealous strike (knockback), (possible resolute) bladestorm. or leap, bladerush(combat trance did not trigger), (jedi crusader triggers), bladerush #2 (combat trance triggers), (knockback), (possible resolute) bladestorm.

Combination 3: leap, bladerush(no cocmbat trance), zealous strike, force stasus, precision strike, bladerushx3

Conclusion: A good amount of combat sentinels damage is based on a % to happen try stringing together combinations that optimize dps and survivability that are based on what happens instead of what is optimal.

p.s.

The combat tree also provides roots which are more important in pvp than pve because bosses can seldomly be rooted but they are worth mentioning. The combat tree has two extra roots: crippling throw and master strike roots.

Pacify is also much more useful with more than double range.

Insight, Master Focus, and focused slash are the three most beneficial skills to get after the combat tree skills.

It is always beneficial to leap into combat as a combat sentinel. Unlike watachman combat has crippling throw root that will close the gap from a knockback and force camo that will break any root. leaping into combat provides 4 focus and since zealous strike has a lower cooldown it is important to use leap with zealous strike to gain the optimal focus for combat sentinels. When in doubt, leap, there is no consequence for doing so. A very helpful tip: in pvp you can use crippling throw while being knocked back which is very useful for rooting while being knocked back.

(posting this here because pm sending is timing out and does not seem to work)

Post 1.2 Insight will lose priority for Combat full spec, because Ataru procs will no longer force attacks. They are being changed to weapon based.

Im pretty certain Ill be built like this-

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501McZuGMbddrRrsZM.1

Just pretend that Recompense Box is the new Valor Box, and that Master Focus is the new +8% MS damage box instead of its current form.

Also remember that Focused Leap wont be in Combat Tree anymore (replaced by Stagger from Focus, and Quick Recovery wont exist)

One thing for Combat/precision slash rotation/combos I find really helpful that most overlook is Riposte.

Riposte can be used during GCDs, which lets you make a lot more milege out of the 6 second buff. Typically you only get 4.5-3 seconds of actual use out of it.

Precision Slash -

GCD 1.5

Attack- (1 second or so)

GCD 1.5

Attack- (1 second or so)

GCD 1.5- Precision expires

With Riposte and consistant procs however, you can ideally net:

Precision Slash

Riposte (replacing the 1.5 cooldown )

Attack (1 second or so)

Riposte (replacing the GCD if it didnt trigger earlier)

Attack (1 Secong or so)

GCD/end.

This is even more useful since in 1.2 Transendence is getting buffed in Combat Tree, transendence= more defense= more riposte procs, riposte could already be forced via pacify and saber ward as well.

So, I feel many Combat Sentinels could be doing a lot more damage if they keep Riposte worked into the Precision windows, since it allows you to make up for the fact you lose out on a lot of damage due to GCDs

On my good combos I can squeeze in a Crit Storm, Riposte, and my choice of Master Strike or Rush spam, and/or dispatch (targets health depending)

Edited by thepilk

Post 1.2 Insight will lose priority for Combat full spec, because Ataru procs will no longer force attacks. They are being changed to weapon based.

Im pretty certain Ill be built like this-

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501McZuGMbddrRrsZM.1

Just pretend that Recompense Box is the new Valor Box, and that Master Focus is the new +8% MS damage box instead of its current form.

Also remember that Focused Leap wont be in Combat Tree anymore (replaced by Stagger from Focus, and Quick Recovery wont exist)

One thing for Combat/precision slash rotation/combos I find really helpful that most overlook is Riposte.

Riposte can be used during GCDs, which lets you make a lot more milege out of the 6 second buff. Typically you only get 4.5-3 seconds of actual use out of it.

Precision Slash -

GCD 1.5

Attack- (1 second or so)

GCD 1.5

Attack- (1 second or so)

GCD 1.5- Precision expires

With Riposte and consistant procs however, you can ideally net:

Precision Slash

Riposte (replacing the 1.5 cooldown )

Attack (1 second or so)

Riposte (replacing the GCD)

Attack (1 Secong or so)

GCD/end.

This is even more useful since in 1.2 Transendence is getting buffed in Combat Tree, transendence= more defense= more riposte procs, riposte could already be forced via pacify and saber ward as well.

So, I feel many Combat Sentinels could be doing a lot more damage if they keep Riposte worked into the Precision windows, since it allows you to make up for the fact you lose out on a lot of damage due to GCDs

On my good combos I can squeeze in a Crit Storm, 2 Riposts, and my choice of Master Strike or Rush spam, and/or dispatch (targets health depending)

Yes, I like your post. Reposte is definitely a fun and useful skill to use that is all to often never talked about.

I have noticed in PVE that Precision adds 15-22% more damage per hit of any skill. I have also noticed that Master Strike usually does about 700dmg first hit ~1,100k second hit and ~1,700 third hit. Precision increases these to around 1k first hit, 1.7k second hit, 2.2k third hit or more.

The issue I have with Precision into Bladerush is that the target is not imobalized making it hard to get a second one in if they run or stealth or knockback.

I have noticed that precision into master strike into bladerush or bladestorm or precision master strike bladerush bladestorm roots for MS which is enough for one bladerush and then of course bladestorm since it is a throw. Any thoughts on this?

Edited by RakeHoxven

How important is armor rating for dps?

PVE:

1. Armor does not effect dps.

2. If your team has a good healer, you have health packs, your team has a tank to draw aggro, you should be fine in light armor. Keep in mind that you might achieve what you're looking for with just a chestpiece and lower garment. If boots are concealed by a dress there is no need to have them light armor as well.

3. Be aware that being slightly squishier can make you a scapegoat for everything that goes wrong in the operation flashpoint or heroic.

4. Endurance/defense stims help to minimize the difference.

PvP:

1. Only use socketted light armor with Rakata/Columni and/or Battlemaster/Champion mods unless you are only using two or three pieces of light armor.

2. Although Armor does not effect dps a Sentinel that is too squishy to solo 1v1 is less helpful to a team so waiting until you have Rakata/Columni/Battlemaster/Champion mods is advised. Again, if only using two or three light armor pieces than this holds much less significance.

3. Many good pvp warzones are tight so be on the lookout for being scapegoated for a loss.

4. Pvp gear holds status and so does well placed socketted gear since many end game players mod an extra set of gear in addition to their pvp gear.

5. Endurance/Defense stim helps.

Misc:

1. Purple gear is better to mod than orange gear if both have the same number of slots.

2. Wearing chestpiece and lower body is all you might want. Make sure to test the looks of what you want to wear before modding it by holding down Ctrl and mouse click.

3. If you decide to use all light armor use Endurance/Defense stim and medpacks.

Edited by RakeHoxven

So what are your thoughts on the viability of combat spec, especially for PVP. (I notice your commenting on combat a bit)

I like the idea behind combat, roots and high burst dps, but can it be played successfully or are you gimping your team by using it?

So what are your thoughts on the viability of combat spec, especially for PVP. (I notice your commenting on combat a bit)

I like the idea behind combat, roots and high burst dps, but can it be played successfully or are you gimping your team by using it?

I would stay away from saying any one spec is not viable for pvp. All three specs have their strengths and weaknesses. Combat is better at killing squishies because of two extra roots and bladerush spam as well as a crit bladestorm which does not rely on mellee range. Combat spec has no problem with focus and so can string together combos instead of sticking to a single optimal rotation. Combat spec is also good at killing tanks and snipers because precision for tanks and because of increased range of pacify for invalidating snipers big hit damage after they use their single knockback. Precision and a Masterstrike on a sniper in cover can close to half their life if critting, always fun. Combat spec can root with cripplingthrow and debilitation for huttball increasing their usefulness in a team.

Watchman spec has higher dps, dots at the same time doing another attack with possible saber ovarload making it easier to connect more damage all at once. Watchman spec also has a high damage burst with merciless slash, zen is very useful and often used for crits (although it becomes less useful endgame with high crit already). Interrupt on 6s cooldown make it possible to interrupt casters more often with force kick, low cooldown leap and closer distance, Juyo stacks increase damage by up to 10% quickly. Watchman usually have high dps numbers in pvp.

Focus has two big force sweeps with singularity from force stasus and force Exuastion although they should be well timed if hitting some sort of shield it will be a waste. Focus suffers from survivability if missing timing on sweeps.

So all specs can be played in pvp and pve and do well. They have different strengths and weaknesses. If you are looking for the highest damage count focus sweeping in big crowds all game racks up the damage numbers, Watchman second with overload saber and dots all at once with regular attacks causing three sources of damage at the same time. Combat with no focus problems steady damage from bladerush having no cooldown replacing slash and ability to harass healers and tanks, ability to force opponents to 1v1 from all the interrupts also very useful against gunners in cover with increased pacify range roots and precision.

If after trying combat you prefer the way it handles you can be just as useful or more useufl in a warzone than other specs. Same goes for other specs which can be just as useful or more useful. It all depends on which spec playstyle you prefer and are good at.

Edited by RakeHoxven

Noob question. Why do you recommend light armor?

I have no preference on wearing light armor. Modding armor for looks is usually an end game exploit and so advising against it would be wrong.

In my previous message I stayed away from advising for or against modding armor for looks and tried to give a breakdown of pros and cons.

Of course with anything there is a right and a wrong way to mod armor and my previous message tried to explain the best way to do it.

Edited by RakeHoxven