RAMDISK for SWTOR (increased performance)

Ocmer_

So yah...I wrote a very happy post 3 days ago after first using swtor unleashed. It worked very well for me and I was very happy. But yesterday morning when I started up the game in unleashed (I'm only using the minimum assets recommended); the game kept crashing on the initial loading to character screen. I wiped the ramdisk and restarted and then ran the game normally and got a blue screen of death....I haven't had a blue screen error on this computer since I've gotten it, and it had something to do with memory. In order to fix this issue I've had to run the swtor repair tool....this fixed the issue. The repair tool only found 2 files that needed repaired. I played the game the regular way (and missed unleashed) then later in the day I got brave and tried it again. I played all night with no issues then this morning (sunday) I started it up again with unleashed to only have another crash and the repair tool found 10 files it needed to repair. So at this time I don't feel safe playing it with unleashed.

Now I know that running a ramdisk is some advanced user stuff but I thought I had a grasp on it. I'm pretty much at a loss and I dont know what I can do....or what the problem could even be.

Anyone?

~Michael

Hello Michael,

another user had the same issue. It's quite simple and explained in the main post. If you have any problem, use unleashed and "start retail" to repair, don't use the in game "repair" (ours is faster since, it's not a file corruption error, it's a missing (because of renaming) file issue that swtor unleashed is designed to auto fix with "retail" and "remove" buttons, your choice.

Also it looks like you have a defective RAM. Check memtest86+ :

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

If you want to know why etc... check my previous reply on this matter please, I'm a bit too tired to explain it over again.

Let us know if it helped.

Cheers

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Michael,

another user had the same issue. It's quite simple and explained in the main post. If you have any problem, use unleashed and "start retail" to repair, don't use the in game "repair" (ours is faster since, it's not a file corruption error, it's a missing (because of renaming) file issue that swtor unleashed is designed to auto fix with "retail" and "remove" buttons, your choice.

Also it looks like you have a defective RAM. Check memtest86+ :

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

If you want to know why etc... check my previous reply on this matter please, I'm a bit too tired to explain it over again.

Let us know if it helped.

Cheers

So after doing the repair (without using unleashed "retail" as you suggested) I was able to play fine but once again this morning I went to play normally and wasn't able to load corellia....then once I tried the repair the way you suggested, it said there were 10 files that needed repaired (and it was the same speed as yesterday). I really want to use unleashed but the errors it seems to be creating is really saddening. I know this is probably a rare issue, something to do with my computer setup and less to do with your program. SW Unleashed is great and I don't anyone to NOT use it on account of my issues, I'm only posting it here to see if there's anything that can be done so that these issues do not come up again.

Perhaps something that may be causing my issues are how I've been using it. Each time I play the game with unleashed I've been trying different assets (switching mainly between the animation assets and the main art char assets). Also I've been removing the files from the ramdisk each time I've been wanting to be away from the game for several hours and use my computer for other things. I'm thinking that this creation of ramdisk and removing of ramdisk at the frequency I have been may have caused these issues. I didn't have any problems till after several times of me doing this (3 days later). Is this possible?

So at this point, if the errors persist I think I might have to uninstall and reinstall, then probably use Unleashed in a very limited way without any tweaking and without unmounting it unless I restart computer. Also is it safer to just restart computer and allow for the memory wipe to occur or close and remove through unleashed? Which would be the preferred way?

Thanks again!

~Michael

I never said to do "repair". I said "retail" button in swtor unleashed :)

If you want to remove files from the ramdrive, don't do it manually. Use the "remove and quit" button.

Your crash probably comes from a defective ram issue. Test your ram first.

Then it might probably also comes from the fact that you manually delete files on the ram drive (bad bad bad idea lol).

The tools has everything you need already.

As stated before. If you want to free your ram, after playing the game start swtor unleashed and use "remove and quit" button in the top left corner.

Regards,

Edited by exca

On a scale of 1-10 in computer knowledge how difficult would you say this is?

1 being programming a remote, 10 being writing code.

I was gonna give it a go tonight but tropical storm Beryl has decided there will be no power in my neighborhood still.

Edited by Entropicus

I never said to do "repair". I said "retail" button in swtor unleashed :)

If you want to remove files from the ramdrive, don't do it manually. Use the "remove and quit" button.

Your crash probably comes from a defective ram issue. Test your ram first.

Then it might probably also comes from the fact that you manually delete files on the ram drive (bad bad bad idea lol).

The tools has everything you need already.

As stated before. If you want to free your ram, after playing the game start swtor unleashed and use "remove and quit" button in the top left corner.

Regards,

I may of been unclear, I've never manually removed it, I've always just used remove and quit, the only time I've restarted with the files on the ramdrive was early on when I had a freeze... Also, I thought you meant to run "Retail" and then repair, that's all I meant. Currently I've been having to repair for the past 3 hours. After it gets done, it still crashes (running retail without using the ramdisk) and I'm thinking I might have to reinstall.

I'm checking my Ram next but I've had no indication that it's bad but we'll see with the program you suggested. Thanks for the help!

~Michael

Well it seems I misunderstood you... and still does lol :)

Can you try to detail us what you really do?

example:

- i start swtor unleashed

- i click here

- i click there

- i quit the game

- i reboot

- i do this

- i do that

- i experience this issue

This will be far more clear to my programmatical mind ;)

Well it seems the issue was all mine and good call with saying it was corrupt Ram. I just bought the Ram less than 2 weeks ago and it's been serving me well, but it seems that it's either been corrupt or has become corrupt due to my actions....I'm not sure if Ram can be corrupted by a user (or a Ramdisk at that). Regardless of whatever it is I take full responsibility of it...

I just dont know how for 1 1/2 weeks the computer can run smooth with no issues and for Unleashed to be used, for it to just stop working....my computer kept working fine, maybe a little crash once in a while from multiple tabs open on firefox (which was new) but I didn't think anything of it. I got half way through the USB bootable Memtest you suggest and it had already sent back 88,000 errors (and not even halfway done).

Is it possible to corrupt ram if I improperly shutdown my computer with the Ramdisk still up?

Thanks again for everything, this was either complete user error or faulty ram.

~Michael

I'm not sure if Ram can be corrupted by a user (or a Ramdisk at that). Regardless of whatever it is I take full responsibility of it...

Not a chance :D, your RAM would have been faulty from the factory (most likely, but it could happen over time). Likely the RAMDisk is using chips that were not being used by the system before, so you may not have noticed the issue before.

Not a chance :D, your RAM would have been faulty from the factory (most likely, but it could happen over time). Likely the RAMDisk is using chips that were not being used by the system before, so you may not have noticed the issue before.

See that's what I thought. I've been involved with building, customizing and using computers for 17 years now....just never into the nitty gritty of the hardware (like understanding all the complexity of a motherboard beyond where to plug things in and what not). I have the RAM packaged up and I've contacted Newegg. Thankfully I'm within 14 days so they will replace it. The brand is G.Skill and out of all the ratings it got high marks although I did read maybe 2 out of the 100 that had said they had faulty RAM.

You would of loved to see my face when Memtest ran and just lit my blue screen up with RED RED RED.....then the number kept climbing and climbing and climbing.....once it got to 48k errors I said fukkit and just cracked the laptop open and swapped the RAM. It's running like a champ now since the reformat (man I love a clean install) and I'm reinstalling the game right now.

Not only was the repairing giving me errors but when I uninstalled and reinstalled I kept getting errors on the installing of Asset 1.....after 12gigs of download it would error out and then I would have to REDOWNLOAD it (even though the files were there on my drive).

All this for a game that runs 15fps in WZs (which I only do)..........wowowowowow.

Anyways, thanks for hearing me out and responding accordingly...been a 5 day nightmare but at least I got to watch both seasons of Game of Thrones while I waited lol

~Michael

PS.

I'll definitely try the Ramdisk again after I get my new RAM. Thank you to everyone who has contributed and who made Unleashed.....it's an amazing program. It's opened my eyes to further learning and how to do certain things. :D

As I explained in a previous reply in this very post, since SWTOR is a 32bits program, it can only use 2GB of RAM. So, unless you use SWTOR unleashed, the game will only use the same (more or less) area of your physical RAM (the 1 or 2 first barrets). With SWTOR Unleashed you can use nearly all your available RAM (so you might get errors if the faulty RAM areas are above the usual used RAM area). That should make you understand your issue :)

As I explained in a previous reply in this very post, since SWTOR is a 32bits program, it can only use 2GB of RAM. So, unless you use SWTOR unleashed, the game will only use the same (more or less) area of your physical RAM (the 1 or 2 first barrets). With SWTOR Unleashed you can use nearly all your available RAM (so you might get errors if the faulty RAM areas are above the usual used RAM area). That should make you understand your issue :)

That definitely helped explain everything. I've sent out for a refund and I'll be trying it again when I get my new 8gig pack. Thanks again!

I there any benifit in buildig a machine with 16 gigs of ram as opposed to 8, in light of swtor unleashed? my main issues are extram choppiness while doing world PvP and NP, and not being able to see some aoe indicators for lorrik, L5 and FB&SC.

It works great for me! But if I open the SWTOR Unleashed 3.0 Settings window and Alt-Tab away, and then back, the mouse doesn't work in the SWTOR Unleashed window at all. The only way to fix it is to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and then click Cancel, and then the mouse will work in that window again (unless I Alt-Tab away again). I tried updating my mouse drivers (Intellipoint) but it still has that issue.

• 2 weeks later...
I keep getting a message from he game "Unable to safe Interface ______ 1" whenever I move the chatbox? It doesn't happen when using SWTOR retail.

I got this too for a while. The easiest fix is to go through the regular retail launcher, adjust your UI, save it, then it should be saved and loaded when you do SWTOR Unleashed.

The easiest fix is to go through the regular retail launcher, adjust your UI, save it, then it should be saved and loaded when you do SWTOR Unleashed.

That works for big UI changes, but not for little things like resizing the chat window sometimes.

I've downloaded and installed this program along with imdb and am rather impressed!

It's nice to be able to make full use of the extra memory available on my Win7 x64 machine - 16GB :D

I've read every one of the posts contained in this thread and can't find any references to Voidstar or Novare Coast warzones. Can someone tell me what files I need to include?

Suggestion: Add a WarZones button along with your Dynamic button to select all warzone maps. You'll make thousands of people like me happy! :cool: