Traveling is not epic

Supernova

Sometimes I feel that all I do in ToR is traveling and it doesn't feel epic at all...

LOL! If you had played vanilla EQ you would understand the concept of traveling. Takes me less than 10 minutes to get from one place to another in TOR. In EQ it could take up to an hour to travel to a place where you could gain experience. It could take another hour in a full group of 6 to get to a possible place to farm experience!

Traveling is very easy to do in SWTOR and come 1.2 it will be even easier!

LOL! If you had played vanilla EQ you would understand the concept of traveling.

That said, there is a good reason why we are not playing EQ. Vanilla EQ as you point out took foooorrrrrr aaaaaggggessss to travel, but that was vanilla, and years ago.

Don't you think devs could learn from past MMOs? We want it all and we want it now, right now!!

There is way too much pointless running around in SWTOR, it is simple time wasting.

Yes in 1.2 it is slightly improved, though why we have to wait for 1.2 is beyond me.

Each mmo generation keeps reducing the traveling times to satisfy the customers. I predict that in 2020, we'll travel so fast in mmos that we'll travel back in time! Mark my words!

2020?

What do you imagine will be here in 2020 that resembles the world you know now?

Or they will just have one central hub and ALL areas will be little instances that they can click,,,oh wait?

People forum members etc nothing bothers me more than when people wish to gut games,i have seen this in EQ2 and countless others because next they will add something like "Call of the Veteran" and there will be no need to travel at all and you will see hardly noone ingame,everyone will be LFG from their ship etc,think about the longevity plz before asking for things like that.

think about the longevity plz before asking for things like that.

Perhaps we have thought about longevity, and would rather have instant travel vs inane running around. I know for a fact that I will tire of this very quickly, so for me there is not likely to be any longevity.

I guess we players just want different things. I want to play a healer that can bounce from x-server LFG to LFG and just heal, heal heal. I want to bounce right into a /LFG FP whilst questing and pop back out and continue questing instead of standing in Fleet watching a spider make webs outside ....

Really, what Time to Live do you put on SWTOR? My guess, release of GW 2.

Edited by Bleadz

If you want instant stuff go play a console game and leave the zones that were created for us mmo gamers.

I thought MMO gamers, choosing to share a world with other gamers would have a deeper respect for others ideas and requirements rather than minifesting their own in comments per quote. Please restrain for speaking for others "us mmo gamers", you do have the right to offer your own opinion .....

I thought MMO gamers, choosing to share a world with other gamers would have a deeper respect for others ideas and requirements rather than minifesting their own in comments per quote. Please restrain for speaking for others "us mmo gamers", you do have the right to offer your own opinion .....

He is right, this insta action mentality is what is ruining mmos and make them more and more like console co-op games where eveyone just stands in a lobby waiting to get teleported to location.

Yes in 1.2 it is slightly improved, though why we have to wait for 1.2 is beyond me.

This is a good point, hmm.

I think there's been a couple updates since then, and I really don't see the difficulty in that one. It's like.... 1 variable.

Do they not have their code encapsulated or something?

I did and like i said travel is not really an issue imo,i believe they are getting rid off spaceports? i dont know why but people asked for it and they are,even though some very interesting quests could come about with those,i know my smuggler had two i believe.

Thing is this,once you start down a path it rarely stops and like i said next will be guild halls with teleport things like from Star Trek to send you anywhere at anytime and then all sense of a community will disappear and then people will complain that they dont see anyone ever,like i said i have seen this before it's a slippery slope.

If you want instant stuff go play a console game and leave the zones that were created for us mmo gamers.

I only play MMOs and even I think the zoning in TOR is out of hand.

Really, you really need to zone 10+ times to reach 1 destination?

I do not mind travel time, but constantly looking at the loading screen is complete BS.

Edited by illgot

I only play MMOs and even I think the zoning in TOR is out of hand.

Really, you really need to zone 10+ times to reach 1 destination?

Cmon your way over stating zoning,10 times where? and really how long does it take from say Fleet to go anywhere? hell most ofthe Op's,FP's are located there,where are these zone in's that people are claiming that they have to take 10 minutes to get to?

That said, there is a good reason why we are not playing EQ. Vanilla EQ as you point out took foooorrrrrr aaaaaggggessss to travel, but that was vanilla, and years ago.

Don't you think devs could learn from past MMOs? We want it all and we want it now, right now!!

There is way too much pointless running around in SWTOR, it is simple time wasting.

LOL! What do you want instant level 50? Why bother playing a game at all if you are worried about time? Perhaps a the game needs an I win button and you can get everything with a single press and then move on to the next game!

As it is this game is too easy. Bioware installed the easy button and it is always on. Leveling is very easy and quick to do. It takes an average player 6 1/2 days played to make it to 50. Hardcore players will do it much quicker especially if they skip cut scenes.

Instant gratification MMO does not make it better than its predecessors.

Edit:

If they release 1.2 and anything is wrong with it the whiners will be crying up a storm. If they release 1.2 and introduce more bugs the whiners will be crying up a storm. If they release 1.2 and it requires another emergency patch the whiners will be crying up a storm. Testing takes time.

Edited by Lord_Scythe

LOL! What do you want instant level 50? Why bother playing a game at all if you are worried about time? Perhaps a the game needs an I win button and you can get everything with a single press and then move on to the next game!

As it is this game is too easy. Bioware installed the easy button and it is always on. Leveling is very easy and quick to do. It takes an average player 6 1/2 days played to make it to 50. Hardcore players will do it much quicker especially if they skip cut scenes.

Instant gratification MMO does not make it better than its predecessors.

Not to mention with the Legacy system they are adding EXP bonuses,i just about fellout of my chair when reading that,so not only do you get very nice armor to start your brand spanking new alt but also EXP bonuses and next or now people want instant teleport to anywhere anytime,geesh i tell yah,why not make one instance to level yourself up and then you dont need to go anywhere and have one armor set so you dont have to worry about that too.

This was a,i concur reply.

Not to mention with the Legacy system they are adding EXP bonuses,i just about fellout of my chair when reading that,so not only do you get very nice armor to start your brand spanking new alt but also EXP bonuses and next or now people want instant teleport to anywhere anytime,geesh i tell yah,why not make one instance to level yourself up and then you dont need to go anywhere and have one armor set so you dont have to worry about that too.

This was a,i concur reply.

Yep these players want a game with an I win button that they can press and be done with the game. They want to put in zero time and zero effort and want to get everything in the game!

Welcome to the internet instant gratification me generation.

I don't mind travelling, especially if there is an exploration element and some danger involved.

none of that here... it's multiple zoning, clicking on a door or a lift button, run a little, click, zone, loading screen to spaceship, click on door, zone again etc...

It's not quality gameplay.

Travelling from Qeynos to Butcherblock in EQ1 was an adventure, took me 2 days, grouped with a number of people on the way to get past some hard spots, and never felt boring.

Yes I agree the timesink that EQ1 was would not work nowadays, but I am with the OP re boring 'travelling' in TOR.

As far as exp goes, if anything I find the levelling too fast in this game. I would not mind if it was a bit (reasonably) more difficult than it is now. What I do mind is repetitive boring actions that are time consuming.

Edited by Vonb

Yep these players want a game with an I win button that they can press and be done with the game. They want to put in zero time and zero effort and want to get everything in the game!

Welcome to the internet instant gratification me generation.

Actually what I want is continuous stimulation, instead of jumping through hoops that make me consider buying a hamster so he can do it while I wait for the fun part.

travelling in SWTOR = Hamster wheel.

I don’t want to be 50 right now, this second, but what I do want is to cut down on the mundane time wasting trivia and get on with the story, the killing, the levelling, the grouping, the interaction. C'mon guys, this thread is about travel, not about insta 50s.

Edited by Bleadz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.