The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Luke Skywalker vs Superman. Who wins?

Ivanblood

Where the heck is Luke going to get kryptonite anyway?? You talk as if the stuff is just laying all over the place and Luke just has to pick it up and throw it at him.

It kinda is... practically every villain who wants some (and Batman, and Iron Man, and... everyone) seems to be able to find the stuff.

Not sure how fast Luke can move but I doubt he can reach the speed of light so it wouldn't matter if he could sense a fist to the face, doesn't mean he's going to avoid it. Would a kryptonite saber even work??

I'm not sure where this whole "speed of light" nonsense comes from, but we rarely see Superman flying that fast. Even if he can, if we're getting into the realm of absurd hyperbole, Luke has been described as moving faster than it's possible to track. During his duel with reborn Palp (part of the Dark Empire drivel, I know, but we are talking about superman as well) they were both fighting so fast there appeared to be dozens of lightsabers.

Supes could in turn deliver an awesome "World of Cardboard" speech right back to him.

... Which would work fine until Luke pulled out the kryptonite and was like "Hey, wait... you're only superpowered because this stuff isn't near you, right?" At which point superman stops being super and Luke continues being a Jedi Master.

With a lightsaber. And Force Lightning. And precognition. And the Force.

At the end of the day, Superman is just a strong brute who wins by out-punching everything because he literally can't die or be harmed... unless they have kryptonite, in which case he falls over and screams for Batman to save him.

Were Superman real, someone would probably kill him a kryptonite slug from a sniper rifle, just to shut him up.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should note, Kryptonite actually takes time to affect Superman...you can't just show it and all of a sudden he is weakened by it. Or at least depending on which incarnation we are using here, but anyway this battle is rather...dumb dunno why it was brought up again. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

It kinda is... practically every villain who wants some (and Batman, and Iron Man, and... everyone) seems to be able to find the stuff.

Batman has a crap ton because he's batman, he can afford to track the stuff down and lock it up for safe keeping and Iron Man?? Really? When has Iron Man EVER had kryptonite? Unless your joking, in which case Iron Man is in a different universe. Ya know Marvel not DC. ;)

Anyway just having kryptonite isn't an insta-win button to kill Supes, in one comic he beat a guy literally MADE of kryptonite.

I'm not sure where this whole "speed of light" nonsense comes from, but we rarely see Superman flying that fast. Even if he can, if we're getting into the realm of absurd hyperbole, Luke has been described as moving faster than it's possible to track. During his duel with reborn Palp (part of the Dark Empire drivel, I know, but we are talking about superman as well) they were both fighting so fast there appeared to be dozens of lightsabers.

When being timed Superman flew from Earth to the Sun (approx. distance 93,000,00 miles) and back in less then 2 minutes, which means he would have to be moving at a rate of 5.9 Billion miles per hour. According to Batman he can travel at least 17 billion kilometers per hour, and nobody argues with Batman. :p

In many comics Supes can move so fast he has after images, meaning it looks like there are dozens of him moving around when he fights. =/

... Which would work fine until Luke pulled out the kryptonite and was like "Hey, wait... you're only superpowered because this stuff isn't near you, right?" At which point superman stops being super and Luke continues being a Jedi Master.

With a lightsaber. And Force Lightning. And precognition. And the Force.

At the end of the day, Superman is just a strong brute who wins by out-punching everything because he literally can't die or be harmed... unless they have kryptonite, in which case he falls over and screams for Batman to save him.

Were Superman real, someone would probably kill him a kryptonite slug from a sniper rifle, just to shut him up.

Yup Supes would just stand there while he whipped it out right? Not move so there's some distance or fly into the air and nuke him with heat vision or anything.

You don't know much about Superman do you? He does more then just punch everything and he has plenty of weaknesses and fights many foes who can do him harm, Luke just doesn't match any of them.

Supes having super hearing would hear the trigger of the sniper rifle and having super speed would just dodge the bullet before it even left the barrel of the gun. :cool:

Edited by Airmo

Should note, Kryptonite actually takes time to affect Superman...you can't just show it and all of a sudden he is weakened by it. Or at least depending on which incarnation we are using here, but anyway this battle is rather...dumb dunno why it was brought up again.

This is pretty stupid. But hey It's fun to read.

Should note, Kryptonite actually takes time to affect Superman...you can't just show it and all of a sudden he is weakened by it. Or at least depending on which incarnation we are using here, but anyway this battle is rather...dumb dunno why it was brought up again.

Wolf whats up been a long time since I been in the forums well when people posted without been subbed:rolleyes:

I don't think is dumb actually, Superman is a Super hero at the peak of his universe as well as Luke, just Superman is better in every aspect (personality, attributes, story, enemies, etc) unless you think is dumb to discuss things like Abeloth, Sideous ....maybe its dumb but its fun right

When being timed Superman flew from Earth to the Sun (approx. distance 93,000,00 miles) and back in less then 2 minutes, which means he would have to be moving at a rate of 5.9 Billion miles per hour. According to Batman he can travel at least 17 billion kilometers per hour, and nobody argues with Batman. :p

At that point Luke could just wait for physics to catch up with Superman and beat the ever-loving crap out of him for being such a dunce and trying to violate the speed of light. Probably that smack down would consist of confiscating Supe's mass since he clearly has no respect for it, and then subjecting him to the forces of acceleration which he forgot about while flying around like an idiot. He'd probably end up on the wrong side of black hole, rueing the day his clueless writers pissed off the laws of nature.

You don't know much about Superman do you? He does more then just punch everything and he has plenty of weaknesses and fights many foes who can do him harm, Luke just doesn't match any of them.

He has plenty of weaknesses... besides Kryptonite? And being a sissy? Because that pretty much sums up Superman's weaknesses. Also, if we're still dealing with the realm of blatantly idiotic abilities, Luke defeated a Force God. As in, a being that was powerful enough to be considered a deity.

Supes having super hearing would hear the trigger of the sniper rifle and having super speed would just dodge the bullet before it even left the barrel of the gun. :cool:

I guess you've never fired a rifle since around... 1905, since pretty much all longarm rounds these days (unless designed to be lower velocity) are supersonic. So it would hit Superman before he could hear the trigger, or even the discharge of the weapon.

Alternatively, just push Lois Lane off a cliff and wait for him to predictably fly over to save her, then shoot him, dropping them both to their deaths. He can't fly super fast once he grabs her because doing so would rip her fragile body apart and bounce her brain off the inside of her skull when he accelerated. Although... Superman is enough of an idiot that he probably doesn't know that, so he might have a hilarious Heroic Breakdown after he kills her with brain trauma...

and then shoot him with the Kryptonite rifle, just for good measure.

At that point Luke could just wait for physics to catch up with Superman and beat the ever-loving crap out of him for being such a dunce and trying to violate the speed of light. Probably that smack down would consist of confiscating Supe's mass since he clearly has no respect for it, and then subjecting him to the forces of acceleration which he forgot about while flying around like an idiot. He'd probably end up on the wrong side of black hole, rueing the day his clueless writers pissed off the laws of nature.

He's protected from physics because he's freakin Superman and its a comic book, in the DC universe there's the Speed Force where the Flash, fastest guy in the DC universe, gets his powers and protects him from his own speed, it works for Supes too. Why your even bothering with physics between two fictional characters with powers and abilities which don't exist is beyond me.

He has plenty of weaknesses... besides Kryptonite? And being a sissy? Because that pretty much sums up Superman's weaknesses. Also, if we're still dealing with the realm of blatantly idiotic abilities, Luke defeated a Force God. As in, a being that was powerful enough to be considered a deity.

Yes he does, his invulnerability is negated by magic which can hurt him just like it would hurt anyone else. Which is just one. Superman fights god's all the time Darkseid (the guy from that video I linked earlier) who is a god. He's teamed up with some gods in the DC universe as well.

I guess you've never fired a rifle since around... 1905, since pretty much all longarm rounds these days (unless designed to be lower velocity) are supersonic. So it would hit Superman before he could hear the trigger, or even the discharge of the weapon.

Alternatively, just push Lois Lane off a cliff and wait for him to predictably fly over to save her, then shoot him, dropping them both to their deaths. He can't fly super fast once he grabs her because doing so would rip her fragile body apart and bounce her brain off the inside of her skull when he accelerated. Although... Superman is enough of an idiot that he probably doesn't know that, so he might have a hilarious Heroic Breakdown after he kills her with brain trauma...

and then shoot him with the Kryptonite rifle, just for good measure.

I refer to my speed of light replies earlier, he would dodge the friggin thing. Or he would just hear the gunmen's breathing or heartbeat alerting him of his presence. What do you have against supes dude? =/

This is why i think Superman is the lamest superhero of all time. Too gosh darn powerful with too few weakness, there's no room for me to relate. Personally, i'm not really a big DC fan anyway, Marvel always had cooler stories, heros, and waaaaay cooler villians (The Penguin vs Venom, for instance).

But Luke would lose i'm sure. Superman's always got an answer for everything minus a green space rock...boring stuff.

This is why i think Superman is the lamest superhero of all time. Too gosh darn powerful with too few weakness, there's no room for me to relate. Personally, i'm not really a big DC fan anyway, Marvel always had cooler stories, heros, and waaaaay cooler villians (The Penguin vs Venom, for instance).

But Luke would lose i'm sure. Superman's always got an answer for everything minus a green space rock...boring stuff.

Like I've said before he has many weaknesses and he isn't invincible. He's one of the most powerful heroes but he also fights many beings just as powerful or more powerful then he is all the time so I don't see how that's an issue. I'm not sure if you've read any Superman comics or anything (I'm going to assume you don't since you said you like Marvel more and aren't really into DC, which I don't have a problem with.) but I don't see how you can relate to Superman or anyone for that matter if you don't really know anything about them.

Like I've said before he has many weaknesses and he isn't invincible. He's one of the most powerful heroes but he also fights many beings just as powerful or more powerful then he is all the time so I don't see how that's an issue. I'm not sure if you've read any Superman comics or anything (I'm going to assume you don't since you said you like Marvel more and aren't really into DC, which I don't have a problem with.) but I don't see how you can relate to Superman or anyone for that matter if you don't really know anything about them.

My dad got me into comics at a young age because he was a collector when he was a kid. He actually had a copy of Superman #1 and Spiderman #1 (by that i mean the DC and Marvel first appearances of both) before his house burnt down as a kid.

I'm not familiar with the newer incarnations of Superman but i am pretty familiar with the original concept. Here's the thing: Spiderman can be shot and killed, now he has spider sense, incredible agility, and other ways to not get shot but the threat is still there. Superman can survive NUCLEAR BOMBS and can PUNCH REALITY and change it...that's just a bit much for me. The only bad guys that could ever get him in trouble would either have to be a straight up god or they have to track down a rock from space - i just find that lame, what's the point of even showing him foiling robberies or criminals if they never had a chance to start with? If it helps any, i do feel the same way about Green Lantern...that ring is too powerful.

My dad got me into comics at a young age because he was a collector when he was a kid. He actually had a copy of Superman #1 and Spiderman #1 (by that i mean the DC and Marvel first appearances of both) before his house burnt down as a kid.

I'm not familiar with the newer incarnations of Superman but i am pretty familiar with the original concept. Here's the thing: Spiderman can be shot and killed, now he has spider sense, incredible agility, and other ways to not get shot but the threat is still there. Superman can survive NUCLEAR BOMBS and can PUNCH REALITY and change it...that's just a bit much for me. The only bad guys that could ever get him in trouble would either have to be a straight up god or they have to track down a rock from space - i just find that lame, what's the point of even showing him foiling robberies or criminals if they never had a chance to start with? If it helps any, i do feel the same way about Green Lantern...that ring is too powerful.

They have powered him down from reality punching I think, though he can survive nuclear blasts and even a sun exploding. :p But that's one of the things about Superman, sure it takes a lot to threaten HIM but that's not what he's about he's about protecting others. Aside from that there are A LOT of villains that are a threat to him and they aren't all gods, I won't bother listing them all but they just had a storyline where another survivor from krypton came to earth and threatened to destroy it to revive his home planet and Superman was almost powerless to stop him and he had to call in the entire Justice League plus Supergirl and Superboy to stop him. What's the point in showing any hero aside from maybe Batman dealing with robbers and normal criminals when villains with super powers are running around? =/

They have powered him down from reality punching I think, though he can survive nuclear blasts and even a sun exploding. :p But that's one of the things about Superman, sure it takes a lot to threaten HIM but that's not what he's about he's about protecting others. Aside from that there are A LOT of villains that are a threat to him and they aren't all gods, I won't bother listing them all but they just had a storyline where another survivor from krypton came to earth and threatened to destroy it to revive his home planet and Superman was almost powerless to stop him and he had to call in the entire Justice League plus Supergirl and Superboy to stop him. What's the point in showing any hero aside from maybe Batman dealing with robbers and normal criminals when villains with super powers are running around? =/

Maybe I'll take a look at some of the newer stuff, it's been years since i've really read any comics or graphic novels aside from Walking Dead (which are about 10,000 times better than the TV show).

Maybe I'll take a look at some of the newer stuff, it's been years since i've really read any comics or graphic novels aside from Walking Dead (which are about 10,000 times better than the TV show).

I can recommend a few good Superman stories if your interested :D and they rebooted the line up not too long ago so there's a place to start for anyone looking to get into DC super heroes. I agree that the Walking Dead comics are fantastic, haven't really had a chance to get into the show though which I regret. =/

Should note, powers don't make the character. What makes the character is their personality and the like, Superman has been written at times a very great character due to that. Powers only make up a portion of a character, something which shouldn't gauge if a character is lame or boring.

Should note, powers don't make the character. What makes the character is their personality and the like, Superman has been written at times a very great character due to that. Powers only make up a portion of a character, something which shouldn't gauge if a character is lame or boring.

Exactly! I wish more people would think about that before writing him off as the most boring over powered perfect super hero ever that just flies in and punches his problems in the face without having to deal with his own struggles.

That's kind of the problem. Who is superman? He's been written and rewritten and rebooted and alternate universed and parallel timelined over and over and over again.

There is no consistency with what his powers extend to, or even what universe he seems to be a part of, or what his history/youth is. And there's a new movie coming out soon that will change him all over again.

So he really has no consistent character aside from a certain baseline definition of his powers and the fact that he has a crush on Louis Lane and a rivalry with Lex Luthor. That's why Superman isn't really that interesting of a character, is because no one can tell who he actually is at the end of the day!

That's kind of the problem. Who is superman? He's been written and rewritten and rebooted and alternate universed and parallel timelined over and over and over again.

There is no consistency with what his powers extend to, or even what universe he seems to be a part of, or what his history/youth is. And there's a new movie coming out soon that will change him all over again.

So he really has no consistent character aside from a certain baseline definition of his powers and the fact that he has a crush on Louis Lane and a rivalry with Lex Luthor. That's why Superman isn't really that interesting of a character, is because no one can tell who he actually is at the end of the day!

Well that is DC for you(actually writing in general), characters can go through many changes of hands and they give their own spin on the character.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well that is DC for you(actually writing in general), characters can go through many changes of hands and they give their own spin on the character.

Like Superman Red and Superman Blue.. heard of them? No? Good..

fact is in cannon (not counting earth 2 or golden superman) that supes is affected by ANYTHING alien.

luke = not of earth and alien, add to that force powers which is not science as non sensitive can not use in any way (call it what you want force lightning is space magic) and pure plasma swords (going off common lightsaber creation theory) which plasma reguarlly in comics is shown to burn supes skin luke has this fight in the bag.

truthfully though a sith lord takes it easier as luke is more pistol based and not into the whole kill/torture thing.

of importance is also that in red son lex luthor killed supermans super family with very little effort needed. (admitivly killing supes was hard to do and he only thought he did it) add to that that superman gains power only under yellow sun, becomes meh in darkness after prolonged battle, looses power in red and gains uber power under blue sun.

now lets looks at where starwars battles are commonly fought. aah thats right outerrim and between sectors in pure space with no light to hit superman. even common saber battles are on outposted stations/ships.

Edited by rolanzo
update

When has Iron Man EVER had kryptonite? Unless your joking, in which case Iron Man is in a different universe. Ya know Marvel not DC. ;)

hate to nerd myself but "iron lantern" a GL/iron man crossover by both companies in either the 70's or 80's from memory. iron man used ALOT of kryptonite to power his lantern replica.

also as for the time to affect. see alfred, kryptonite shotgun. batman has been quoted as saying in many crossover comics "faster than a speeding bullet means nothing when kryptonite is involved." indicating it takes less than the speed of sound for even a bullet size piece to severly affect the last son of krypton.

however i go into the party that believe green krypton does not kill him with radiation but rather strips him of powers and anti aging slowly making him more human. reason it hurts so much after awhile is his body is trying to forceable age to its true human equilavent instead of a 20ish year old kryptonian who never ages much/

Edited by rolanzo

now lets looks at where starwars battles are commonly fought. aah thats right outerrim and between sectors in pure space with no light to hit superman. even common saber battles are on outposted stations/ships.

Wonder how it would go down if they fought on Tatooine, what with it having two suns and all..