The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Will there be any new classes?

Spedattack

This is just a thought I had, but it may actually happen. I would love to see new classes in the game. On the Sith side maybe they can make an Officer class where you rise through the ranks of the Empire or maybe a Senator class on the Republic side. I dont know if theyll do those specific classes but if you are reading this Bioware/LucasArts you should definitely make some new classes.

Aside from the obvious issue that the existing classes aren't fully balanced/debugged (and likely never will be -- look at how even well-aged games like WoW and EQ2 keep fussing with class design), the amount of story/voice work needed to create a new 1-50 (60,.70....) class (two, actually, one for each side, plus companions...) is probably more than can be justified in terms of player retention/attraction vs. using the same time and resources to create more content for existing classed.

MMORPGs, in general, rarely add new classes (an exception may be games that use smaller skill sets with narrower design focus, such as COH and Champions). This doesn't mean "never add", (EQ2 just added one after many years; LOTRO has added two over time) but it's unusual, in large part because most gameplay niches are filled at launch, leading to "new" classes which are largely reskins of old ones with mostly-identical gameplay, or hybrids that are difficult to balance and don't have a well-defined role in group activity.

If new classes come to SWTOR, I'd predict them as part of a major expansion package and probably comprising a third faction (say, "Pirate" or "Privateer"), with the game mechanics being mirrors of the existing four major archetypes. It would still be a smegload of new story, art, and voice acting, though.

Yep, far more bang for the buck in raising level caps, and adding playable races.

Playable races in this game aren't quite what they are in other games in the genre.

As to the OP I fully expect to see new classes in the future. They'd be a huge undertaking but isn't that what expansions are for?

It's far more feasible for them to add new Advanced Classes than to add whole new classes.

This way they don't have to change any story or voice acting. At level 10, you just choose between 3 ACs instead of 2.

This was what I was about to post. I would expect to see ACs added in expansions eventually.

This was what I was about to post. I would expect to see ACs added in expansions eventually.

to add one AC (from 2 to 3) they have to balance/animate 8 different new ACs. all with the existing. And if you say that there are only four, you are ignoring the time it takes to animate, come up with names, aesthetics, itemization, etc. Not to mention there are still differences between mirrors

I would imagine it would be far more likely to add one class, 2 ACs and playable by either faction. (the counter argument is they would need new voice acting, class quest lines etc)

Would be cool if there was a melee class that uses techblades. Not a fan of the whole jedi thing.

Who says they can't do that with current classes through a new AC... maybe Bounty Hunter and Trooper can get more focus on a Techblade tree by becoming some kind of melee user.